Off-roading help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off-roading help

chase1806

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' XLT
Hey guys i have a question about my o6 xlt. i can't decide if i want to lift it or not cause i no its going to be alot of money and i was just wondering if its worth it. If i don't lift it can i still go mudding in it and everything or is that not smart? Are the explorers meant for offroad now cause it seems like they have leaned more toward the luxury side and pavement only. Or instead of lifting it just save my money and buy a pick up for like 6000? tell me what you think thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Save your money and buy a Suzuki Samurai for $1k :)
Posted via Mobile Device

no if i was going to buy anything i'd be a pick up cause i have a dirt bike so i need something to tow it around

Everyone has different opinions, but if you have $6k to spend, i'd definitely get a pickup. you could get a reliable ranger or tacoma for that that you wont mind getting beat up on the trails.

the explorer can hold its own on the trails if needed, but why beat up what i assume is your daily driver. parts are limited to make your explorer a true off-roader, you'd be limited to a couple inches of lift and tires unless you are willing to spend a lot of money for something custom.

either way, good luck.

Dont go heavy off roading if its your daily driver. It is not worth it being broken. Giving it that off road look is always cool. Go ahead and buy a jeep for like 500$ and beat the s%^&t out of it.

The 3 inch body lift from the 04 ranger works on the 06. RoadBully did how to for the 3rd gen. I put it on mine, the only things is the bumpers. The brackets from the kit don't line up properly. Also the hitch is welded to the chassis, so you can't flip it like the 3rd gen can. As far as off roading, the only bad thing about the X is the lack of ground clearance. I have 255/75R16 BFG mud terrains and went through a small mud pit 15 times then the front left found a small hole and rested on the chassis and she was done. I'm getting 285/75R16 Maxxis Bighorns and when I get more money RoadBullys lift.
IMG_1617.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Are all the body kits the same? The ones between the ranger and ranger edge? I know my lbody lift for my 97 ex was the same as a 98 ranger. But i dont know the difference on this one. I already have my roadbully lift on. I wanted to body lift too since ive already done it once and know how to do it again.

Are all the body kits the same? The ones between the ranger and ranger edge? I know my lbody lift for my 97 ex was the same as a 98 ranger. But i dont know the difference on this one. I already have my roadbully lift on. I wanted to body lift too since ive already done it once and know how to do it again.
I'm not sure about the ranger and the ranger edge. The lift that I used was the Performance Accessories 883 3" body lift.

Back