• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Recommendations?

deernet

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
I just got a '97 Explorer Sport a few days ago. I've already ordered an Alpine CDA105 head unit.
21VX1J7ArhL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

I've also got a 15" Memphis sub and a Memphis PR200.2 amp to hook it to.

I'm looking for recommendations on replacements for the stock speakers. From what I've read the stock size is 6x8. I'm wondering if I should get something that size or find a round speaker. So far I've been considering these:

Kicker 08KS680
41nlWekr4pL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pioneer TS-A6882R 6" x 8" 4-Way 280-Watt Speakers
41%2BViCNvh4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Infinity Reference 6832cf 6 x 8/5 x 7-Inch 180-Watt Two-Way Loudspeaker
41FpGVAdT0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'd like to hear some opinions and what you've found to work best.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

Also, on the sport, to get to the back speakers do you have to remove the huge inside panel, or is there an easier way?

Anyone?

Also, on the sport, to get to the back speakers do you have to remove the huge inside panel, or is there an easier way?

use a screwdriver and pop off the little screen infront of the speakers, then the speakers are right there, they are simple to replace

That's awesome. I was afraid that the metal screens were made into the panel and I would have to remove the whole panel.

Anyone have anything to say about speakers? What are you guys using?

I've got kicker DS680 wrapped around, doors and rear, in a 99 sport, I think they sound amazing, get pretty loud, but very clear, which is what I wanted, powering them off a Sony HU

If you want quality sound, Boston Acoustics are the best speakers i've ever heard.
But I would not recommend Kicker in any way. Everyone I know, myself included has blown their Kicker subwoofers or speakers within the first 6 months. So, in my opinion this is how my list goes...

1. Boston Acoustics
2. Kenwood
3. Pioneer
4. Alpine
5. Stock
6. No music at all
7. Just sell the truck
8. Dog poo.
9. Kicker.
oh, and in 67th place, Xplod. lol.

BradR, that's good to know. I definitely don't want to pay close to a hundred dollars for a pair of speakers and have them blow. What kind of Boston Acoustics speakers would you go for? From what I see on Amazon they've got 4x6, 5x7, 6x9, and round speakers. Can you get the 6x9s to fit easy in an Explorer? Or should I get 5x7s and get an adapter to make them fit the 6x8 holes that are there? Or should I go with round speakers? I've heard good things about Boston Acoustics before, I just wasn't thinking of them now, I was looking for a 6x8 so as to be a direct fit.

Do you think the Boston SL80's are that much better than the S85s to warrant costing about three times as much? Maybe It would be a good idea to use the SL80s in front and the S85s in the back.

personally i have the pioneer 6x8's. I would recommend getting the Premier series of the pioneer line. They are awesome!

I have had some experience with Boston too and they do sound really good.

I have some Kenwood KFC-C6880ie 6"x8" 2-way Speakers in my explorer and they sound great with the Pioneer's new double DIN AVH-P6000DVD receiver. Check out my cardomain site for further details. The sound is great. However, I heard Pioneer just discontinued the receiver... what a disappointment :(

Not to start an argument buts odd about kickers. A lot of my friends have them and swear by themm. But I have 4 kenwoods that I got for 100 dollars that sound just as great. I recommend going to crutchfiield.com and going through their outlet store. You can get some really good deals

I am running the Kicker DS680's as well...

I have been using the DS680's since I bought them from Crutchfield almost a year ago...I have used them with the head units amp and 2 other external amps as well...I am also using a 10" Kicker sub mounted in the right rear compartment of my 99 Sport just like Nix...

I can compare these to the BA's that are installed in my Dodge Charger... Both are using the same amp and both are equally as loud and responsive...I do know that the BA's were not as solid sounding in the doors in the Charger until I added Dynamat in the doors and the body where the Kickers were more than adequate in the doors and the rear panels of the Explorer...

So far I haven't blown either set and I rock the Kickers a LOT harder and louder in the Explorer... Oh and I pulled the interior out and lined the floor, doors, rear panels, and hatch will Dynamat just like the Charger...The Explorer had a lot of road noise coming from the floor area and the wheel wells and the dynamat killed that...

The speakers are both more than adequate for these applications but cost might be a factor and I see no reason to not run with Kickers, Pioneers, Boston Acoustics, or most other speakers that would fit as long as what is driving the speakers is outputting a quality signal and the speakers are installed properly...

will that dynamat help take of that nasty draft coming from the doors?

I have a pair of the SL80's in my front doors and must admit I'm not satisfied with them. They just don't have that "warmth" that I'm looking for. They sound crisp and clean, but they just aren't doing it for me.

The "best" speakers depends on what you're powering them with.

High end speakers that sound fantastic hooked to a solid 50W x 4 amp aren't going to sound the same hooked up to a head unit amp.

Pioneer (and Kenwood's 4-ohm speakers) 2-way and 3-way speakers get my vote for the best and least expensive quality solution to 6x8 speaker replacement. The 2-ways are ideal for head unit amps with low power handling and great efficiency. The 3-ways are great for head units with a little more oompth or if you just want the longevity and durability of a rubber surround and might upgrade to an amp to power them later.

If you want to get a little fancy about it and don't mind spending a little more, Kenwood has some drop-in 6x8 plate speakers that save the hassle of messing with components:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11810_Kenwood+KFC-P680C.html

They only handle 40W RMS, so they are perfect for head units too, or a small amp, but it might be tough to get a 40W x 4 amp (as opposed to the way more common 50W x 4, 60W x 4, 75W x 4, etc. setups) if keeping them with an amp upgrade later on.

If you can swing it, you just can't beat components. A 5.25" set fits in the stock 6x8 location with adapter plates. You can also mount the tweeters in the door sill panels for the front, or even get Q-forms kick panels. Lots of options. Of course, they must have a good amplifier. You'll have to decide if it's worth the hassle of wiring and squeezing in the crossovers and everything.

I've replaced the front speakers with 6.5" round Polk's and am awaiting another pair to go in the back ('98 Sport). Running off my Kenwood 6140 they sound really good up until about a volume of 28...getting distortion above that. But for $36/pair they beat the hell outta the stock 5x7's. Can't wait to replace the rears. Also looking at a Thunderform amp unit to go in the back storage nook...simple setup that I think will sound just fine for me. I don't go around thumping the windows or anything though, not my style.

Check out the Hertz HSK or ESK.

Back