Makin The 98 FUN To Drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Makin The 98 FUN To Drive

First off, My name is Joe, I have a 98 V8 AWD auto explorer and its getting old. I wanna make it more fun to drive and a lil more capable in the woods and a step closer to being ready for whets next....(a lil later down the road)For now I wanna do a 5 speed swap..., and throw a low range t-case in while im at it. So heres the deal.. I work in a junk yard and have searched through each and every one of the klunkers and have come up with nothing...(I ve already done some homework on this whole thing) My next plan was to outsource from another yard...My search proved to be sucsessful.... i found a yard with a 1988 ford f-250 with a 5.0 and the mazda toyo trans i beleive i need...they also have a 1997 4 door explorer with a 5 speed in it to get the pedals out of...now the guy down there is a buddy of mine and is willing to get the trans, clutch,flywheel,starter and every single both he takes out....and the pedals,line and master out of the 97...Now I know the tranny crossmember needs to be modifyed so i plan on getting another one from 1 of the 50 klunked explorers in my yard so i can modify it and have it ready for bolt up.
My question is does any one see this swap being done in two days? a weekend?...am i missing something or if i get wats listed above its gunna go right together? as for the t-case im just gunna throw the np 208 i have right in there... Im still confused as for the spedo pick up though...there is no sensor on the t-case...ok so its in the rear....but my old dual exhaust cut the rear abs wire....How the hell does my spedo work? any response is greatly appreciated thanks joe...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it would be doable in 2 days, except for the driveshafts.

As for the speedo, i would just get a TomTom- but im ghetto like that. :p:

my garmin says stock is off by 2 mph...ha..its not an issue right now, but im wondering how its actually working?

Hey Joe,

The 98 looks pretty fun to me. (you backed out of the driveway as I was coming down the street earlier today - red F150 with a roll bar). What size are the tires you have on there now?

33x13.50x15 Swamper TSLs on a tt and shackles :eek: ... you should gimme a call sometime and well go wheelin or somethin.... or you could stop by and check out the axles im building....and oh...btw that was the old man movin it to get his truck out...i was sleepin last nite of hahaha.

What are you going to run for a computer to clear the codes about the auto tranny being gone.

33x13.50x15 Swamper TSLs on a tt and shackles :eek: ... you should gimme a call sometime and well go wheelin or somethin.... or you could stop by and check out the axles im building....and oh...btw that was the old man movin it to get his truck out...i was sleepin last nite of hahaha.

Wheelin's out. The F150 I have now may look a bit bad ass but my off-roading days are on hold for now. I destroyed the black '99 Sport you saw. 3 front hub assemblies, 1 t-case, 1 rear axle rebuild, 2 rear axle seals, and a header off the block later I called it quits.

There is an old Dodge D-series truck in my neighbors back law. jacked-up. I'm waiting for it to hit the front lawn with a for sale sign. He can't seem to get it to fire. ah carbs - what fun they be.

Hey yellow, i have no clue as to what to do but I work in a junk yard and through some research i found a comp out of a 96 bronco... its obd2 and has a maf system maybe that will work....idk..... any one know?

Back