White smoke, sweet smell. Head/gasket problem! Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

White smoke, sweet smell. Head/gasket problem! Help

dino11

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 exploder
So i just bought this x. 138k on it. 4.0 v6
I noticed it was low on antifreeze so i filled it up. Buuut ive noticed white smoke and a sweet smell. Im going to get sum codes ran. Im expecting somethin related to bad head or head gasket.

What tests should i run? Radiator pressure check and compression check?

How is the difficulty of changing heads vs. A 350 w no computer junk?

Will this harm other parts of my motor? No oil contamination.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely sounds like a blown head gasket. And if it was over heated it probably has cracked heads too. I would say you don't even need to worry about running the pressure checks. I've never changed the head gasket or heads but I would guess that since you've had experience before doing it that it wouldn't be that much worse than a 350.

More time consuming than problem...if you have done it before on an older engine..this is the same with more wires...label if you think you will forget..most plugs only fit their mate.

Get a Haynes repair manual (lots on ebay) and be clean! I just completed a head gasket job...I broke it into 2 days so I could check heads..about 6hrs total start to finish...

Thanks guys. Thats what i thought... Any thing i should look out for like problems? Whats the best way to have the head checked for warpage and cracks? Take it to a machine shop?

I got this x for 2k, shoulda known it was too good to b tru. Already replaced rear rotors, blend door actuator, brake switch, and a thorough cleaning.

A shop is the only way to know for sure if there are cracks...Inspect the gasket for obvious failures...but unless you want to roll the dice, a machine shop is the way to go.

If you have a good straight edge, like a metal ruler, you can lay the edge of the ruler across the heads (block surface of the head) across both diagonals, and across the long centerline, and use a feeler gauge to check for gaps. Pretty straightforward.

Also, before you tear it down, check the oil. If it looks like a milkshake, you've definitely blown the head gaskets, and will likely need a full engine teardown, because you've washed the bearings with coolant. Also, check the upper radiator hose after the engine cools down. It should be soft when you squeeze it. If it's still pressurized, you likely have a blown head gasket.

Good luck.

Greg

Well like i said i just got it so part of my new vehicle maintenance and inspection i changed the oil. The oil was black as coal and real old, but there wasnt any sign of coolant whatsoever.
Also the smoke is very slight, but there. And you can smell the obvious smell of coolant.
Ima take it to a buddy mechanic and get his 2 cents. But im planning on removin the heads tomorrow.

Thanks for the input!

Well i pulled it out of the shop and noticed a leak. Hopefully its just a leaky water pump.

if you think its the heads.. definitely take them to a reliable machine shop. Mine blew at 74k and then again at 91k so i'm not sure if it was a cracked head or what but i just said the heck with it and but a long block in it.

im having the same problem with my 96 explorer i havent checked if the head are cracked or anything but it overheated and now there is so much smoke that if im in the garage i cant see after having the car on for more than 5 minutes and its definatleyy coolant.... so im just wondering what are some other ways coolent can come out of the exaust?

Sounds like a head gasket to me, especially if it overheated at some point. Thats the only way that much coolant can get into the exhaust that fast. When mine blew it layed out a smoke screen to the point I couldn't see the cars behind me.

ok thanks how hard was it to fix.. im alright with cars but not the best

Its pretty labor intensive, and there is a chance that the block is warped too. Most of the time the head gaskets blow it due too the head, block, or both being warped or cracked. A good machinest is the only one that can determine this.

In my case that was the second time the head gaskets blew so I ended up putting a new engine in it.. no problems so far.

I think i have a problem in this department. except my exhuast smells more bitter than sweet. looks like its consuming oil too. but i havent been able to find the milkyness in my oil. i think im just going to replace my head, and gasket the ploder used to over heat. back then i didnt know how to work on my ploder so i would just tolerate it

HERES A PIC OF MY SMOKE. also has lots of condensation.

ok i have the same problem with my 94 limited
about a month ago the water pump whent outwhen the g/f was driving it and over heated it then it was still loosing coolant and that turned out to be a bad heater core (i know exactly when dew to the fog cloud that came with it).
now im loosing about a quart of coolant a week. and as soon as i start it i have a thick cloud of white smoke and a smell of coolant (don't know how bad it really is because i live in Alaska and it cold as hell here)the oil is good no milkshake. so what should i do first?:exp:

ok i have the same problem with my 94 limited
about a month ago the water pump whent outwhen the g/f was driving it and over heated it then it was still loosing coolant and that turned out to be a bad heater core (i know exactly when dew to the fog cloud that came with it).
now im loosing about a quart of coolant a week. and as soon as i start it i have a thick cloud of white smoke and a smell of coolant (don't know how bad it really is because i live in Alaska and it cold as hell here)the oil is good no milkshake. so what should i do first?:exp:

If the exhaust smells like coolant then it is a blown head gasket. Just because there isn't coolant in the oil doesn't mean the gasket isn't bad. If it overheated like you said, the chances are that the heads got warped. These engines are known for that.

If you let it go too long it will most likely destroy your oxygen sensors and possibly the cats.

This happened to mine and I had to replace the O2 sensors after I got the head gasket fixed.

thats great because its like -10 here in alaska. guess its time to break out the carhearts:rolleyes:

Man that sucks.. I hate working on vehicles in the cold!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back