My 2002 Ranger engine dies at a light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2002 Ranger engine dies at a light.

robwhite61

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger Edge 4X4
I have an '02 Ranger Edge w/ 4.0 SOHC. When I stop at a light or stop sign after driving on the interstate for approx. 20-30 minutes, the engine will die. It will start and idle fine but will die as soon as I put it in a forward gear. Reverse sometimes is ok although the rpms drop way down. After 5 or 10 minutes, it will run in gear and I can go on my merry way. This happened about 6 months ago and the CEL came on. The code was for the Crank Position Sensor. I changed it and no problems until now. So far no CEL but have only driven it twice since happening. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adjust the idle speed screw and see if the idle bypass control motor adjusts to control the idle speed, if not or if it jumps around the controller is bad.;)

Could this work if it idles fine in park?

It could, the idle control motor increases and decreases as load is changed on the motor. ie the ac comes on while in gear it will increase the idle speed to compensate. See the motor works by counting its windings or steps and if a winding burns up it will loose track of where it should be. If you have several windings burnt it will not be able to to maintain idle after an extended period of not counting steps. But when you turn off the ignition it starts over and can find idle again.

welcome

Thanks for the info. No day is wasted when you learn something and I just did. I'll give this a whirl.

Back