• Register Today It's free!

94 explorer wouldnt start

meterman1976

Reaction score
City, State
spokane, washinton
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Ok guys last night I went and finished up my christmas shopping. My 1994 explorer was doin great untill the last stop. I got in it to start it up and nothing, my lights were strong and it wasn't the battery. I finally got it started with a screwdriver. I believe with jumping it from the starter silinoid(passanger side fender round couple nuts on it) and once I got home I shut it off. And it would start up with the key. I have no idea where I should look to fix it. From what I understand the silinoid just goes out doesn't give you a warining. So I don't know. Maybe it was just a fluke. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did it click when you tried to start it? how do your battery connectors look?

There was no click or nothing. On the dash just the battery light came on. But that's it. The connectors looked great. But I did take them off and clean them again even tho I just cleaned them last week when I got a new battery.

This morning when I got in it. It started up just fine.

2 things: that the truck is completely in park, and the ignition at the key.

Yup was totally in park. That's the first thing I looked at.. its been fine all day today so I don't know.

They can go intermittently. The "jump" may have just burnt some corossion off. It could have gotten some water in it and froze. I would get another one and carry it with you. Its cheap insurance.

check your connections on the solenoid for build up just clean them with a wire brush remeber which wires go where

The solenoids do go out, but the fender mounted one seems pretty durable and usually isn't the issue. If it is, it's an inexpensive and easy part to replace.

Most of the time a no-start issue that's not the battery is the starter itself, or corrosion in the positive battery cable going to the starter. The starters seem to be going left and right now that the early 90's Explorers are getting up there in age and mileage. Usually you'll get a loud click from the fender mounted solenoid when trying to start, but the starter won't engage. If tapping the starter with a block of wood (or gently with a hammer) makes it start, then it's likely the starter itself. If you check the starter connections or pull the starter and notice corrosion down there, the starter might still be ok, but the corrosion in the cable is preventing the battery power from getting to the starter mounted solenoid. In this case, just replace the whole cable.

I've replaced my started with in the last year. I have an extra silinoid in the explorer now. If I donthave to change it in this cold I don't want to. Battery cables are all good no corision anywhere.but then this has only happened this one time. So I'm not sure like I said.

well just go over your whole starting and charging system and look for any possible problems just because you make think they are clean it still might help to clean them takes no time at all its a good way to tackle your problem

Some times we check the battery terminals but forget that cables have two ends (both positive & Negitive)

Back