Simple OEM air filter question

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I have a 1997 Mountaineer and it has a cone style air filter. Everywhere I go to get a replacement, the books or computers tell me it takes a rectangular filter. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats an aftermarket filter. Depending on the make/material of the filter, you might be able to clean it with an air filter "recharge" kit and reuse:

kn_cleaning_kit.jpg

Ask for a filter for a '95 or a '96. They may not have the correct cutoff year in their computer system. I think they changed over to the square air filters in '98 on the Ex's.

Holy crap a blast from the past.. lol Umm KKM I think still stocks re-usable air filters for our rigs.

Thanks for the replies. I am almost certain it isn't a reusable air filter so I will try looking for a 95-96 and see if that works.

I think I found it. Thanks for the help.

Purolator Air Filter
Part No. A26067

Attachments

• air filter.jpg
    air filter.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 929

you have the same filter I have. they are PITA to find... just order up a K&N and clean it once a year or so.

it's the easiest way out

I have a 1997 Mountaineer and it has a cone style air filter. Everywhere I go to get a replacement, the books or computers tell me it takes a rectangular filter. Any suggestions? Thanks.

There is some confusion about air filters on the 97s. I think they may have done a midyear change on this. My 4.0 OHV has a cone filter and I believe the 5.0 uses the same one. I think there is a different cone filter for the 4.0 SOHC because I got that one when I bought a K&N and had to take it back. I've seen a rectangular filter listed as well. I'm using a Napa Gold paper filter now but I don't remember the number.

According to the owner's manuals, the 97 SOHC should have the FA16-16 while the OHV and 5.0 should use the FA-1658. If you tell them you have a 5.0L, they should give you the cone type filter. If you tell them you have a 4.0L and don't specify whether it's a SOHC or OHV motor, they'll probably give you the square one by default. Just tell them you have a 5.0L when you ask for the filter and it should be fine.

Back