• Register Today It's free!

Turbocharging 4.0 ???

chingadera

Reaction score
City, State
Corpus Christi Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 sport
I have a turbo set up on my mustang that I home built and I was thinking of turbo charging my Mazda navajo. My only concern is how to tune it? What MAS meter should I use and what injectors? Has anyone done this before. I can fab the kit my self and I actually make it work but I am unshure of tuning it and making it run with boost. Also what about the automatic tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont know, try posting in the sport truck forum.

But I do know this, your tranny took a dump just hearing you say that. For all the work it would be to turbocharge it and swap in a stronger tranny (c4/700r4/aod/ect) you would be better of doing a 5.0 swap.

A Mazda Navajo, A Japanese Explorer :0 Would be a Hot 4.0 then ya' think? The tranny prob'ly wouldn't take it being as it's A MAZDA :)

all i can say is i wish i had the money to turbo my X. And you better make it so you can beat just about every ricer that you pull up next to. my 4.0 with 3.73, stock tires, intake (MAF, Cone, TB mod) and a 2 1/4 inch tail pipe can already beet most of the ricers out there so you better have yours running low 16s- high 15s. supra and SHO territory. good luck

What is the difference in the mazda tranny....the motor is the same. Also I have a ford explorer tranny I could use but I just dont see an extra 70hp hurting anything unless I was flooring it everytime I hit the gas. It wont be for racing....just for a boost in power. This seems it will be easy install. I can get a T3/T4 turbo for like 250.00 then pipe and couplers a weld up an exhaust and it will work. I just need to see If I can find a MAS air meter that will work with 30lb injectors. Tuning will cost as much as putting the actual system on. Im going to keep the cat on so its still emissions friendly and legal and just u turn off the exhaust and go up under the hood.

Im still debating though, the whole reason I got the Navajo was so I could drive it insted of my twin turbo mustang which is fun but prem. gas is 3.10 a gallon. which is bull. I am not sure yet I know with experience on my mustang that spending the money for bolt ons wont justify the power increase in my opinion. I am unsure of what to do. I would like more power so I can tow a small boat but I am trying to stay in good gas milage. I may just go ahead and do bolt ons to try and pull whatever extra I can and live with it.:roll:

Is the modulator an electric thing on the outside? Where is it? Maybe I can swap it over. Off of the wrecked X I have.

Your lucky your only paying 3.10 for prem. We are paying 3.45 for regular. :(

I know where you are coming from on the gas cause I am using a 1/4 tank of gas a day just for work now that I have lost fifth gear in my auto tranny.

I am changing mine to a manuel tranny just so I have a more reliabile tranny.

the auto is a 4 speed. Maybe what you lost was the turque converter lock up. or you lost overdrive.

the auto is a 4 speed. Maybe what you lost was the turque converter lock up. or you lost overdrive.

Well I always feel 4 shifts and now I only feel 3 and I am running at like 2.5k+ at 65 now and before I was running at like 2k. I can't afford this gas lol.

on my shift indicater I have OD,D,3,2,1. I still get half of my over drive cause if I shift fown to drive it jumps up to 3k on my tach at 65.

yeah something is up with the lock up on the torque conver. when you are on the free way and you give it a litle gas the RPMs shouldent go up before the speed. but if the RPMs go up first, your torque converter lockup isnt working.

If I was doing a cheap(low boost) setup on a 4.0, I'd throw on something like a 57 trim TO4e and use an FMU for fuel. THe Vortech kit uses the stock timing curve un-intercooled, so you could probably easily get away with 5-6 intercooled psi on the stock timing with 93 octane. Since you have a turbo Mustang, you should know how things like injectors, MAF, tuning can add up quick- then you'll have more in the FI than the truck is worth.

yeah something is up with the lock up on the torque conver. when you are on the free way and you give it a litle gas the RPMs shouldent go up before the speed. but if the RPMs go up first, your torque converter lockup isnt working.

Well how do I fix this then so I don't have to spend so much on gas till I get the five speed. :confused: I am gonna change either way but I want to get some decent gas milage till then. I don't make much and I had to over draft my bank today just to be able to get t work today. I am using around a quarter tank ever 45 miles. If you can help it would be great.:D

If I was doing a cheap(low boost) setup on a 4.0, I'd throw on something like a 57 trim TO4e and use an FMU for fuel. THe Vortech kit uses the stock timing curve un-intercooled, so you could probably easily get away with 5-6 intercooled psi on the stock timing with 93 octane. Since you have a turbo Mustang, you should know how things like injectors, MAF, tuning can add up quick- then you'll have more in the FI than the truck is worth.

Is there a hand held tuner that I can use on the computer that I can adjust timing? The FMU would be ok but I would also go with some colder plugs and want to back down the timing a few notches. I dont plan on intercooling only 5-6 psi.

You DO realize that this thread is over 2.5 years old, and this guy hasn't even been on the site in almost as long. His last activity: 10-21-2007 11:06 PM

Ryan

yes i do and i was seeing if i got a response back from any one dealing with turboing a 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few Turbo 4.0L on here.

They all hang out in the Need For Speed section...

Good luck.

Ryan

Back