• Register Today It's free!

2003 Liftgate Cracked

surfincps91

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer EB
Woke up thismorning to my liftgate being cracked a few millimetres wide all the way down the panel! Just to the right of the Ford emblem. I took it to my body shop and they said it's a common problem that Ford used to fix as a warranty/minor recall...but not anymore :( .
Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

On the bright side...just installed my new K&N filter. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a lot of owners with the same problem here. Use the search feature at the top of the page,and also on the modified 2002-2005 explorer section.I have been lucky so far no crack but I see a lot with cracks down here in Orlando.

Thanks man, I'm in Charleston and have yet to see any others with this problem...of course this happens to me the ONE night I don't park in the garage haha.

I'm sure it was a function of the cold weather you guys are getting down there too... When the plastic piece contracts or flexes, it cracks. Kind of a bad design by Ford on that one regarding the fasteners. It is a fairly common problem though, unfortunately.

Haha, thanks for the welcome!
I've spent the last few hours glued to those threads trying to learn something new. I called the big guys at Ford and 2 of my local dealers today. Cheapest fix is $365. The body guy where my dad originally bought the car told me he is working on Corvettes and is trying to develop something to place in the crack that will remain seamless for the life of the repair, but I gotta wait a week for him to finish testing it.

Yep, the liftgate on my 02 cracked just a bit years ago, and now it's growing. I am thinking of drilling a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it, then fill the gap with sealant.

Recall?

So its a bit of grapevine hearsay, but over the holidays had the Sister-In_Laws Boyfriend mention that on some models it has been recalled. He's an estimator for a franchise body shop in Texas...might be worth investigating. FYI....

So its a bit of grapevine hearsay, but over the holidays had the Sister-In_Laws Boyfriend mention that on some models it has been recalled. He's an estimator for a franchise body shop in Texas...might be worth investigating. FYI....

That would be nice. Seems like automakers don't usually recall anything until someone gets killed. Until then, its just a technical service bulletin :rolleyes:

Back