my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build

I flipped the driver side manifold so i can run a pipe under the bellhousing to Y with the outlet of the drivers side manifold there is where the turbo will be placed. Plan is low boost no more than 5 psi on a draw thru design with the recurculating bypass.
FORD40.jpg

i had built a temp down pipe to get the truck around during the build
ford403.jpg

runs good no leak from the manifold and today i pulled a garret T3 out of the wrecking yard for a few bucks
GARRETTT3.jpg

I have some digital photos for better quality ill download those when i get a chance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry been a while the turbo sploder was sitting for a few. Plug wires went bad and it took my lazy ass a while to fix them. I installed some msd wires that were sitting around from my old 4.6L. Installingv the fmu when i get back to work monday. I don't think I ever posted the dyno video in this thread from a while ago...
th_dynoday1-31-09010.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well after a few weeks of tinkering with the fmu ive got it to run stronger. pulls good and dosen't rattle. Still needs an intercooler and a wideband to make further adjustments. Once the intercooler is on I will be thinking about turning the boost up. I'm also always looking for a larger T3 and plan to redo the hotside maybe for a little better flow and looks as I can Tig and Mig alot better now as my current kit was welded up with gasless flux wire. heres some of my other recent work
DSC01793.jpg

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01560.jpg

DSC01785.jpg

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01608.jpg

do you still have the pictures of how you mocked up the original manifolds? your pics in the first post are gone

AAAPR24.jpg

EXPLTURBO4.jpg

EXPLORTURBO6.jpg

HOTSIDE1.jpg

Turbo Cat, thanx for just getting out there and doing this. Your thread cleared up a bunch of confusion for me. Now I'm seriously motivated. Will you please post a pic or two of your oil supply/drain solution?

The pics are on my other computer which has crashed. Feed is easy you just place a 1/4 npt T fitting where the current oil sender is and my feed is returned to the timing cover under the PS pump. I just tapped and threaded a fitting in. If i did it all over which I am planning to re-do the hotside Im moving the battery to the driver side and turbo to the passenger side.

OK... this is one sweet thread!!. I'm liking this!!!
So what I need to do this on mine is:
T2 or T3 turbo set for 5 - 10 psi
Adj fpr
21 - 30# injectors
cooler thermostat
cooler plugs
retard timing a bit
Anything I'm missing here???
I've read the whole thread and can't believe that this is it!!
How'd you fool the maf or map sensor thingy??
I SO WANT TO DO THIS!!!!!!

This is a very nice thread :)

how much did the whole kit cost from start to finish? Where did you get the turbo and how thick are the flanges? Is there any other head work or is it just threw together and with low boost stock injectors?

It cost me about 200$ the turbo was 16$ and I actually made 5$ while I was in the yard by helping an older guy pull a caliper off a van. I have a few of them laying around. I am in the middle of rebuilding the kit for smoother design. I am also going to be duplicating the hotside if anyone is interested. I will have more details soon I started working on the jigs today.

im interested in a step by step with your build im planning on doing mine on the cheap and want it to last

Just a little progress here. As you can see in the second pics that is part of the current old kit under the jig.
DSC01942.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

where did u get your flanges for your turbo and did u actually route a down pipe down im looking forward to run a t3 t4 on like ten pounds in my two wheel drive mazda navajo what other parts have your upgraded like gaskets are they doubled up stocks or after market

I cut out the flange myself and the motor is completely stock.

stock gaskets and everything and how did u mess with the ecu to trick it into accepting boost considering it runs of vaccum and now its being forced air could u give me a list of everything used like the bov and wastegate and how much did everything cost from start to scratch any ideas where to look for a good turbo

Is there any updates for this thread????

lol I tried that, only I just took the ball off the bumper, and would you believe when my dad asked me about it I told him" ball? oh it fell off in the road, then he made me drive him to walmart and he bought another one. That very same day he took me with him to haul a bunch of scrap to the junk yard(trailer loaded, ford explorer rattling, and his foot.....to the floor):(

that ball mount removes 4 bolts looks cooler any way

Im getting close to building the new hotside. It simplifys alot of things and makes it easy to build.

Back