I need help changing my fuel filter. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help changing my fuel filter.

nypearson

Reaction score
City, State
hyde park,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 xls
hello out there, new to forum. to be honest i am having a problem with my truck and was browsing web looking for info and found this forum. happy to join, i've had my truck since new and found it to be reliable and fun. have put 150,000 miles on it no major problems. i am trying to change the fuel filter, was told it is above fuel tank. do i have to drop the tank to change hope not? any info much appreciated thanks in advance.:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 2002-2005 section. The filter is near the tank. Follow the fuel lines, and you will see a cylinder shaped filter near the side frame.

thanks for the info. i was never an internet junkie, but i can't deny the usefullness of sites like this. thanks again.:)

you will also need a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter. They are inexpensive (about 5 bucks) and can be purchased almost anywhere.

Here are the ones (click here) I use they seem to work well as long as you have the correct size to the correct fitting.

Welcome aboard.Take a look at the fuel filter replacement How Too at the top of this forum.It will help you decide if you want to tackle the task.Good luck

It can be a pain to change even with the tool. I used some WD-40 to loosen up the gunk that had built up in the grooves of the fuel line. Once that had been done it went much faster.

Back