tire size 275/65/16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire size 275/65/16

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Copied from my post in the sticky "Lifts and Max Tire Sizes" thread (where this should have been posted)

To my understanding, 265/75/16 is 31.7" (give or take) which is as close as you'll get to 32" without going over. According to the charts, largest you can fit on a stock suspension is 31", which equates to a 265/70/16.

In my situation, I will probably even need to trim a little bit, and I have a TT and F-150 Leaves in the back.

Go HERE:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

That calc will help you figure out what tire sizes relate to overall inches, then use the chart Dead Link Removed to find out what sizes will fit.

Hope that helps, took me a while to figure out what i needed too.

And, if you do mean to say 275/65/16, that size is extremely rare and hard to find, or so I've seen. Best bet is a 285/65/16

Thanks that is a cool site....it states I will be practially identical from my stock
255/70/16 vs 275/65/16
thanks alot

We have a tire store that buys in bulk here and he had BFG 275/65/16 and selling them for 85 bucks each....that is dirt cheap. They just look huge compared to the tires on mine EB now...but then again my tires are shot....

We have a tire store that buys in bulk here and he had BFG 275/65/16 and selling them for 85 bucks each....that is dirt cheap. They just look huge compared to the tires on mine EB now...but then again my tires are shot....

Those tires will very close to your stock size, in terms of diameter. However they are quite a bit wider. Have them mount one, and put it on. Make sure they don't rub when you turn the steering wheel all the way.

BFG what in a 275/65R16? That IS a very rare size. Pretty ideal for replacing the 255/70R16 stockers, though.

You might want to let other members know where this place is with the tires if he has a lot to sell once you get them and if they are real BFGs.

BFG what in a 275/65R16? That IS a very rare size. Pretty ideal for replacing the 255/70R16 stockers, though.

You might want to let other members know where this place is with the tires if he has a lot to sell once you get them and if they are real BFGs.

Yeah, I'm actually curious myself. This would be a nearly perfect upsize for my '80 Chevy K20. Stock 9.50x16.5, which works out to a 245/75/16. Those 275/65/16 are only about 3% off, and much wider. My only problem is I need them in at least a load range "D", preferably "E". I found Goodyear SilentArmor's in a 265/70/16, Load Range "E", but they are $181each + shipping/mounting.
I'd really like to know more about these tires you found.

I have the tires laying in my garage as we speak...I went ahead and bought them I am just worried they might hit my front bumper when I turn as someone mentioned....the sad part is this store doesnt install tires...just sells them and if you mount them...they are yours!! They are true BFG radial TA's with raised white letter ...I was a little worried about running them on my Explorer but my wife drives interstate miles everyday and we only get snow like every so often but they BFG has excellent rain,highway,and decent snow ....so I dont think I can go wrong if they fit. I will get his number and find out how many more sets he has.

I have the tires laying in my garage as we speak...I went ahead and bought them I am just worried they might hit my front bumper when I turn as someone mentioned....the sad part is this store doesnt install tires...just sells them and if you mount them...they are yours!! They are true BFG radial TA's with raised white letter ...I was a little worried about running them on my Explorer but my wife drives interstate miles everyday and we only get snow like every so often but they BFG has excellent rain,highway,and decent snow ....so I dont think I can go wrong if they fit. I will get his number and find out how many more sets he has.

I thought the original Radial T/A was discontinued years ago. Are you sure these aren't some very old, NOS?
As far as the weight rating, and using them on an Explorer; you'll prob. be ok if it's strictly highway people moving use, no towing or heavy cargo. I would double check though. Look at the weight rating on the sidewalls, and make sure it's enough for the truck.

how can i tell the age of these tires? They look great but I dont want to put a set of 7-8 year old brand new tires on my wifes vehicle

i believe its the dot last 2 digits also google is your friend

I googled it and found the date code on the sidewall....they was producted on the 23rd week of 2006!!!! now im really scared ...do i have a reason to be ? did i just get burned??

Depends. If they were stored properly, they might be fine. If not, they could have dry rot that won't be apparent until they are mounted and aired up.
Did the guy you buy them from say they were brand new or current models,etc.....?
Again, check the weight rating. If it's ok, then go talk to the guy. Tel him you now know how old they are, and you want an assurance from him that if they show any signs of age (dry-rot,cracking,etc...) after mounting, that he'll take them back, regardless of his usual policy. If not, then don't bother mounting them, just bring them back.

Like I said, they could be fine, or not. You'll have a pretty good idea once they are mounted. You can also check them a little before hand by leaning on the tire and flexing the rubber. Look for any signs of cracks,etc...

if there no dry rot i wouldnt worry about and the rubber is good if you paid buy credit id try to charge them back or ask the shop about them 4yr old tires are like you said old.

he told me that he bought these on closeouts and he probably couldnt get anymore and if he did they would be a little higher in price. I did as requested and put pressure on them and looked for dry rot...no signs anywhere....the stickers on the tread from BFG is clean as a whistle and they look great...but now im really sick feeling about these

he told me that he bought these on closeouts and he probably couldnt get anymore and if he did they would be a little higher in price. I did as requested and put pressure on them and looked for dry rot...no signs anywhere....the stickers on the tread from BFG is clean as a whistle and they look great...but now im really sick feeling about these

Liek I said, as long as he'll stand behind them, even if mounted, then go for it. If you do, I would suggest giving them a good silicone tire treatment, on both side of the tires, after you get them mounted and everything checks out. This will help restore some of whatever flexability might have been lost.

Really, I wouldn't worry so much. If they look good after mounting, then they should be ok. I would still check the weight rating first though. I mentioned it several times, and you haven't said anything on that. It should be on the sidewall somewhere.

thanks guys for all your input...I did send a little email to BFG to just see if they respond....I will keep you updated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most tire MFGS say replace tires after 10 years.Auto MFGS recommend 5-6 years.I had some tires on a old F250 used on the farm up in Maryland that were 15 years old and all cracked but held air fine and I would fill them to 80psi when hauling corn[21/2 tons]but only drove 10 miles at 30mph with the load.Never had a problem.Now that we live in Orlando I changed out the Explorer tires with 33K on them cause they are 7yrs old,and we keep up with the highway traffic [85mph] not willing to risk my life
to save a few bucks.

Back