4.6 Year Model Differences (Help Needed) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Year Model Differences (Help Needed)

rgcme33

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mounty AWD V8
I have to replace the 4.6 in my 02 Mountaineer. The only suitable replacement 4.6 motor I have found is from an 04 Explorer.

I need someone to verify for me that this motor will be a drop in replacement.
I understand the throttle design changed so i will need to swap upper plenums, but other than that, can anyone confirm the compatibility please.
Is the 04 still 2v?
Any other changes?
Both have eigth digit of vin as "W" for Romeo if that matters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have not swapped engines, but i can tell you the '04 is a 2v, and fly-by-wire.

the 04 is a 2V for sure .. I have one...

Thanks for your input guys!

another thought, if you want to get carried away, look for a Aviator 4.6, those are Quad Valves and there is an '04 model of it too. i'd imagine very close to a drop in. . . .might want to grab the PCM with it, might get lucky and be the same PCM with a different factory tune, . . .be a little work but its over 330hp. . .it would rock.

ok now i want to take this engine swap one step further....i have an 04 sport trac, and was looking to replace the 4.0 v6 with the 4.6 v8...i understand that the explorer eddie bauer explorer has the v8....how much is different to do this swap?

Back