I'm STUMPED on this one???? Any ideas??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm STUMPED on this one???? Any ideas???

exhaust leak?

It almost sounds like an exhaust leak to me but they are usually worse when cold than warm. You might try getting a 3 foot section of hose and put one end at your ear and the other at various exhaust places to listen for a leak. Using the hose also might help you locate the source of the noise if its not an exhaust leak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah at times I am thinking exhaust leak but would an exhaust leak cause it to misfire and miss when idling. Once driving it seems normal like it is not missing at all.

Plus according to my on board computer my gas mileage was went from and average of 13.8 MPG down to 10.2 MPG

Shadetree mechanic down the street said sounds like I have a bent/broken rocker arm

Or Bent or Broken Pushrod!!

Nope....... Broken timing chain guides :(

Whats up with the timing chain guides? My 4.0 makes a tick like a failed lifter.

What is the low down with the guides and why does it sound exactly like a lifter?

Back