Help! SAS leafs?

rangersas96

Reaction score
City, State
Tracy, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Ranger Super4.0
Need some advice.
'96 Ford ranger xlt super cab v6 4.0 auto. I-Beam.
I want to SAS with leafs with a dana 44 short. i cant afford to coil it. was wondering which leaf pack to buy. That was cheaper. and still gave alot of ground clearance. Ive heard about the 5 packs for the Jeep wagoneers work on explorers will that work on my ranger?...I know alot of you have been there done that...
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need some advice.
'96 Ford ranger xlt super cab v6 4.0 auto. I-Beam.
I want to SAS with leafs with a dana 44 short. i cant afford to coil it. was wondering which leaf pack to buy. That was cheaper. and still gave alot of ground clearance. Ive heard about the 5 packs for the Jeep wagoneers work on explorers will that work on my ranger?...I know alot of you have been there done that...
Thanks.

If you have I-beams then you have a 2wd, are you 4wd? Then you have TTB (twin traction beams).
I think you'll be surprised when you add up everything you need for a leaf spring set up vs. a coil set up, it's not any cheaper depending how you do it.
Most likely you'll need hi-steer knuckles with hi steer arms to get the tie rod over the springs.
After all is said and done your turning radius will suck depending on the size tires you run because they will rub on the springs at full lock.

My recommendation is do all the research you can, there's plenty of info on every type of SAS imaginable on this board. Once you decide on how you want to go about it, save up to do it how you want it. You will regret slapping something together just for the sake of saying you did an SAS.

It depends on what you want to do and how much lift.
I went with leafs - it was cheaper for me because I had springs and the axles I bought already had high steer arms - high steer is pretty much needed - you can make other steering setups work if the truck is low, but you probably wont be happy with the handling.

I think the easiest and cheapest route would be to find a radius arm setup out of an early bronco, or even a 78-79 bronco and swap the whole setup to your truck -

as far as leafs - the waggy leafs work and can be found cheap, but you'll only get about 5-6" over stock with them - and that is with doing a soa setup. People running the 2.5" lift waggy springs are running 37-38" tires, but they're probably doing other mods like fender trimming, moving the axle foreward, etc to get that much tire - which in my book is too much for a dana 44.

I have toyota leafs on mine with a leaf added, they are too soft and I need to add another leaf, but I only have 33's right now.

Others are using trail gear or marlin toyotas springs, but if your gonna spend that and you need high steer arms - you could buy heims, tubing and link brackets

ive done my homework. im coiling it forsure. thank guys. just got to find the right coil. The 4wd stock ranger coil bucket is 4inch right?.. using a dana 44 by the way. heims all that fun stuff.

Go with a Early bronco coil and buckets. You'll have to cut off your old buckets and weld the new ones on, but it's pretty straigt forard and it works.;)

Go with a Early bronco coil and buckets. You'll have to cut off your old buckets and weld the new ones on, but it's pretty straigt forard and it works.;)

Or cut the fingers off the stock bucket weld a plate on with a center tube and use TJ or XJ coil springs. I am using 8" skyjacker coil springs and have around 7" of lift. They are a bit on the soft side though. Coils are way better then leafs. I have done both on the same truck.

Back