• Register Today It's free!

Spare wheel

colingel

Reaction score
City, State
Caithness Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 North Face
Anyone solved the problem of how to carry spare wheel once lpg tank is fitted in spare wheel place??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the letter of the law you are not obliged to carry a spare in the UK, cars such as the 'smart car' don't have one, though if you do carry one it has to to be 'legal'. For local trips I tend to leave my spare at home.
I have yet to see a swing out system for the rear that some other 4x4's have that would be suitable for our Ex's.

Hmmm........I thought about this too and decided the answer is: DON'T!

Might not be your first choice but the reality is that in 30 years of driving and over 250,000 miles just in my own cars, I've needed my spare TWICE! I do usually chuck it in for long trips though or if I'm going anywhere a bit "unusual" - we service a few forest sites and once you're a mile or two off road, there's no phone signal so you'd be a bit pissed off if you ran over something sharp!

But in "normal use" - do you really need one? Usually not it seems!

Well you could but if you've actually done it you probably wouldn't want to again! It's a big wheel on an Explorer and there's no practical way of getting up and down from the roof.

I had six weeks with a Camel Trophy Disco a few years ago. Spectacularly equipped vehicle - spotlights, foglights, bush wires, bull bar, winch, twin batteries, sand ladders and THREE spare wheels! One on the tailgate and two on the roof but even with the rear ladder, it's still a two man job to get one down without killing anybody nearby!

Tyre Weld anybody?

What about that tyre weld foam stuff for everyday use and just take a full size spare on long trips etc?

Back