Your Experiences With 3rd Gen Reliability/Quality? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your Experiences With 3rd Gen Reliability/Quality?

TheOrteganator

Reaction score
City, State
Belmont, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer 4WD
First off let me just say that I'm about as big of a Ford fan as you can get. My father worked for various dealerships in parts/service for many years, I'm always the one to defend Fords against the large number of Chevy fans(losers!), and I am a firm believer in their innovation and designs.

I bought a 2003 Explorer 4x4 V8 Eddie Bauer in September as my daily driver/tow vehicle for my track car and track motorcycles. It had 96k miles on it when I bought it and even though I had seem enough bad reviews on the 3rd gen I took the risk anyway as my other main contender for the duties was the Chevy Tahoe... and there was no way I was going to drive a Chevy. I was astonished at how the Ford was better in every way from interior to exterior design and materials, and just overall how it drove. I had read about the Explorer's transmission issues and although that's a huge thing to expect to have to go I loved the EB enough to get it anyway.

Since buying it and now hitting 101k miles today this thing has been absolutely killing me. Immediately after I purchased it the drivers side rear window stopped functioning which was fixed at no cost by the dealership I purchased it from after a long argument about that one. I was only able to prove to them that they didn't inspect the vehicle very well before selling it after showing them that they had also sold it with both a headlight and turn signal bulb out(great job on the mandatory safety inspection there, guys.). I should point out that this is after the A/C compressor was dead at 96k miles and had to be replaced before I took delivery.

After I had the truck for a few more weeks the truck decided that a door was ALWAYS ajar, and I ended up spending hours taking apart every door panel and cleaning the moving parts and contacts until that problem went away. Then shortly after fixing that problem the lock mechanisms started malfunctioning. At times when I lock the doors with the remote there will be a door left unlocked still, and my friends are able to open them and set the alarm off. Likewise when unlocking the doors, very often one or more doors will not actually unlock- especially frustrating when I'm trying to get into my own door on my own car in the rain or something. It's not just with one door either, it will be any or all of the doors at random...

Then today I think the final straw came- I was standing on my running board talking to one of my friends who was in his car in the space next to my truck and I noticed that the paint on the roof is peeling. Now I can't speak entirely for the previous owner but by how glossy and nice the paint is I assume that it was well cared for and waxed, and certainly has been properly cared for since I took ownership. In my eyes it is absolutely unacceptable for paint to be peeling on a 6-7 year old vehicle. The same exact problem occurred on my mom's old 1991 Explorer (miss that truck...) after about the same time period and was finally fixed out of warranty by Ford because of my dad's connections. I'm hoping that Ford will take care of this on mine as well recognizing that it's not normal for that to happen but I'm certainly not holding my breath especially in these times.

I realize that I bought a used vehicle with over 95k miles on it but this is just ridiculous so far. I've owned many vehicles with many more miles and never had an ownership experience this bad. Did I get a bad one or has everyone been through this with your Explorers?

I love my Explorer to death and had big plans for making it better for off roading but I simply won't put up with these things, so I'm considering selling it and buying a 2005-ish Pathfinder that will definitely be dependable and well build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your problems are all very small. I notice that you live in Belmont, which is right on the (salt) water and sunshine of California. It is to be expected that the roof (which gets the most exposure to sunlight) is likely going to start to fade and/or peel with the salt air and sun mixture. It happens.

Your door ajar issue was likely that of a stuck sensor, and it's a common issue with even a more common/easy fix associated with it, which is simply to spray WD40 in every door latch mechanism without taking anything apart. It has worked for more people than not, and it's usually a 1-time-thing.

Your truck has high miles, anything over 100k on a vehicle with all the options is bound to have some issues. You honestly do not know the history of the vehicle, because it was used. Mine was a 1-owner when I bought it, and I'd love to think that for the 68k miles that was on the clock when I bought it, they were babied to and from the grocery store, never exceeding 25MPH and that the equipped 4x4 was never engaged manually. However I also know that my differential was completely rebuilt from Ford prior to me buying it (ty Ford OASIS report...your dad would know what this is), and I have spent approximately 3500 bucks on the truck in the 2 years I've owned it, on mechanical failures (complete cooling system replacement, fuel pump, brake failure, wheel hub/bearing assemblies, and still have a differential whine).

There's a reason that Ford only gives a 3yr / 36000 mile warranty on that year. You really don't have any problems...until you run into mechanical. Everything described is cosmetic, and comes with the territory of owning a high mileage, previously owned, "all the options" coastal truck.

Your problems are all very small. I notice that you live in Belmont, which is right on the (salt) water and sunshine of California. It is to be expected that the roof (which gets the most exposure to sunlight) is likely going to start to fade and/or peel with the salt air and sun mixture. It happens.

Your door ajar issue was likely that of a stuck sensor, and it's a common issue with even a more common/easy fix associated with it, which is simply to spray WD40 in every door latch mechanism without taking anything apart. It has worked for more people than not, and it's usually a 1-time-thing.

Your truck has high miles, anything over 100k on a vehicle with all the options is bound to have some issues. You honestly do not know the history of the vehicle, because it was used. Mine was a 1-owner when I bought it, and I'd love to think that for the 68k miles that was on the clock when I bought it, they were babied to and from the grocery store, never exceeding 25MPH and that the equipped 4x4 was never engaged manually. However I also know that my differential was completely rebuilt from Ford prior to me buying it (ty Ford OASIS report...your dad would know what this is), and I have spent approximately 3500 bucks on the truck in the 2 years I've owned it, on mechanical failures (complete cooling system replacement, fuel pump, brake failure, wheel hub/bearing assemblies, and still have a differential whine).

There's a reason that Ford only gives a 3yr / 36000 mile warranty on that year. You really don't have any problems...until you run into mechanical. Everything described is cosmetic, and comes with the territory of owning a high mileage, previously owned, "all the options" coastal truck.

I definitely see your point, but I have owned many vehicles with much higher mileage and not had any of these problems. Without questions the worst I have owned. My dad did pull all of the information on file for it before I bought it and we were at least able to see that it was dealer serviced all of its life without any alarming additional repairs. The paint peeling is not really a problem associated with where I live, it seems like in this area rust and body problems only happen right on the coast and we're just far enough inland that we don't have these problems. My mom's explorer had a similar issue way back in the 90's but at the time it was a common issue across the Exploders (oops, did I mistype it's name :p:) which I haven't heard much about with the 3rd gen.

I didn't know that peeling paint was a "common issue" across gen II Explorers. You may live inland "just far enough" that it isn't an issue, but what about the person that owned it before you?

I guess what are your intentions here- if you're selling your Ex, are you looking for input, or just to vent?

We've got a driver here that has a 2007 Pathfinder that I've personally picked him up from the dealership after a dropoff for wheel bearings, and a broken transmission mount, as well as 2 door latches that broke off inside the doors. They're all nuts and bolts, they'll all break at some point.

It's all subjective- for everyone that has a problem with a vehicle, there are many more that haven't had issues. If it was a brand new vehicle, sure. Since it's used, and you seem to be having contact issues inside the sensors, lock actuators, and corrosion problems, I think Potroast is on to something- there is something in your vehicle creating issues, most likely salty coastal air.

Sorry you're having issues, but aside from the corrosion problem, they're no big deal, certainly nothing that would lead a die hard Ford man away from Ford vehicles, IMHO.

I'm 25 miles North of you and agree that the weather is not the issue with your paint. On your Mom's old Explorer the paint thing on the roof was because of the clearcoat failing. I had that on my 92 Explorer. On my 03 Explorer I have not had the clear coat problem. I made sure I give it a good coat of wax a few times a year. Remember that air is abrasive and will cut thru paint over time. This is true on the edge of the rear hatch that abuts the roof. Remember that many folks wax the car but don't spend alot of time doing the roof because "it's too high".

If the door ajar is the only problem you're having at this time, it's minor. See other post on this.

Bearings / hubs failure is a given and you'll have to do those when the time comes. Whining rear differential will depend how you tolerate the noise. I had mine rebuilt, clutch pack, bearings, ring and pinion. The bearings were badly pitted and the pinion shaft bearing was sliding up and down the shaft. They put in Ford Racing ring and pinion instead of the OEMs and Timkin bearings. I had SF Differential do the work, not cheap but less the dealerships.

Don't even get me started about the rear 'applique' :mad:

So far my '04 has not had any issues at all. I have about 52k on it now. Bought it about 18 months ago with 35k on it. I keep it well maintained (have even done tranny service and differentials already) and keep the exterior taken care of as well. And being garage kept helps. :)

I call it the Eploder and hate the thing.
I bought my wife an '02 for quitting smoking last year. It had 93k on it then. It appeared well cared for so I figured the wheel bearing (passenger rear) was the only real issue I would have. So far I have rear springs, differential seals, a broken rear panel, two more bearings, and the dang thing can't seem to decide whether to be in 2 or 4 wheel drive when I floor it to pass. The driver's side window motor went out, three speakers are blown (factory system), and the doors don't unlock on their own when you put it in park or shut off the vehicle. It gets worse mileage than my '88 350 Chevy truck hauling a full load of firewood (trailer and bed). The best I have been able to get out of it is 17mpg and it averages 10-12mpg. This is out of a V-6
Even the wife is sick of the thing. I am thinking a Subaru will soon replace it. We're going to wait on me to get back from Afghanistan next year so it still has a year to save itself. I doubt it will. I even hate driving the thing.

I call it the Eploder and hate the thing.
I bought my wife an '02 for quitting smoking last year. It had 93k on it then. It appeared well cared for so I figured the wheel bearing (passenger rear) was the only real issue I would have. So far I have rear springs, differential seals, a broken rear panel, two more bearings, and the dang thing can't seem to decide whether to be in 2 or 4 wheel drive when I floor it to pass. The driver's side window motor went out, three speakers are blown (factory system), and the doors don't unlock on their own when you put it in park or shut off the vehicle. It gets worse mileage than my '88 350 Chevy truck hauling a full load of firewood (trailer and bed). The best I have been able to get out of it is 17mpg and it averages 10-12mpg. This is out of a V-6
Even the wife is sick of the thing. I am thinking a Subaru will soon replace it. We're going to wait on me to get back from Afghanistan next year so it still has a year to save itself. I doubt it will. I even hate driving the thing.

Sorry about your troubles but most of the described things, IMO, are normal wear and tear items. As for the doors unlocking when you shut the car off, well, none of the Explorers do that stock. Actually, I don't think that I have ever seen any Ford do that from the factory. Frankly I don't see why you would want it to. My front door unlock when I pull the handle to open the door, the rears do not. I would not want them to anyways as my daughter rides in the back. Child locks are on anyways...

When you purchace a, used, high mileage vehicle you have to expect somethings to be wrong with it. Not everyone will take care of a car the same way. I think MOST people don't have a clue how to maintain a car. Even though it is in the owners manual. I am not saying that they need to do it themselvs, but at least have someone do the services that are recomended.

I had a 99 Sport that had 226K Mi on it when I traded it for my 05. The only reason that I traded it was that we had a baby on the way and I wanted a 4 door. Beleve it or not, the only thing wrong with the 99 was the timing chain issue. That started acting up at about 60K mi. I had replaced many a ball joint, berring and latch but those are wear items. Thats why Ford makes them replaceable, so when they do wear out you replace it. I also did ALL the recomended services on it.

To answer the OP's question, my 3rd gen (2005, 4.6, 68K mi) is reliable and I like it. I just spent a little over $1200 on it for the 60K service along with a ball joint and pinion seal. I have always said, If you take care of you car it will take care of you. I don't like to spend more then I have to on it but I would not be caught dead driving anything other then a Ford!

Cars are a necessary expense many of us could not live without. Take care of it! Beware when buying a used high mileage vehicle.

Back