• Register Today It's free!

A 96 explorer with 35s

92 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have been looking around the site and found several members that have managed to fit 35s on the explorer. I have been giving the thought of putting 35s but started to wonder a couple of things. First off i was wondering if after lifting and regearing would the explorer v6 have enough power. also i have seen that fitting the tires invovles some trimming and im not really consurned about that but many of the members who did 35s do alot of offroading and thats what causes the cvs to break. however i unfortunatly wont be doing a whole lot of hard offroading but every now and then will put it in 4wd and thats what got me thinking that doing this may not be that much trouble. any info is greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure about the lift to fit 35s on a Gen II, but a 4-inch suspension and a 4-inch suspension would be required. Many have fit 33 with a TT, shackles and 3-inch body lift with minimal trimmimng. Lifting and adding larger tires puts stress on ball joints and CV joints. If you regear to 5.13 you will have plenty of power.

Okay, well i guess i will stay safe with 33's with the Body lift and TT/shackles considering money issues. With the body lift kit for the 96, what is the part number for the lift and what kind of modifications are need to make it fit with as little problems as possible.

Thanks for that.
And I do want to go offroading but unfortunatly i dont have anything built and ready, and i was just 'explorering' the possible options of 35's and with a little help realized, Nope, shouldnt really do that.

I have 33's on my truck with a 4 inch suspension lift, and a few extras, but i can definitely say that if you want to run 35's there is gonna be a bunch of work involved, i had to do a little bit of trimming even with my lift for 33's, as it hit on the back of the fender opening for the front wheel
I even had to have different gears put in for the tire size to keep the speedometer correct and use the power the right way,

i would say that to run 35's correctly you would need to use a 4 inch suspension lift and also a 3 inch body lift, and have at least a 5:13 gearset put in both the front and back axle, or maybe go to a solid axle and gearing ,

After hooking up with a Jeep guy, i've decided to bite the bullet and solid axle mine. He seems to think a 3 link with a track bar would be best/easiest(as I don't want leaf's in front).

35's will be what I will be running.

Thanks for that.
And I do want to go offroading but unfortunatly i dont have anything built and ready

I don't let a little thing like my rig not being built bad to the bone yet stop me from going off road. My Explorer is BONE STOCK and I am able to off road the way it is now. No, I can't do Tellico but I can do a LOT off roading. That is kind of like waiting to go camping until you can purchase a 35 ft fifth wheel and a new f350. Just Go! You would be suprised what your Ex can do off road the way it is now. Oh, yea, buy a come-a-long before you dive off that trail. Ask me how I know :D

Jerem0621

Hey, before i went and got all lifted and locked i wheeled the crap out of my 96 Ex, took it all kinds of places,, and than i did the TT and shackles, and added 31's ,and wheeled it even more, , i have pictures on my Elite Registry of out playing around on a Hydro Electric cut with my Ex up on some fairly big rocks, ,
but now with the kit i have i will be able to drive over them rocks,
35's would open up a whole new world, and the ability to go over even bigger rocks and such, i say thumbsup, Have fun with it, ,

corkey: Thats really the only thing that keeps me from doing 35s is all the other work to get them fitted and then having problems with cvs. But with more and more research...well i still wont know what do to! HA. And i will definatly think of what you said last and find some of your pictures.

TB: ultimatly a solid axle would be what i would really like to do in the long run, and if i was working more and had another car to drive while the explorer was down, i would not hesitate to SAS. Good Luck on your SAS, take plenty of pictures.

jerem0621: well not to long ago i did do a little offroading/mudding with a couple of friends of mine and, your exactly right it is pretty cool what stock exploreres can do, even with street tires, and thats what got me really amped up to lift my explorer. And what is the story with the come-a-long?

Yes 35's are bigger and will give you more ground clearance, yes they are bigger and will put more stress on parts... You do not need them to go offroading but do they help usually

I have been on 35's for over two years now with a 2" body lift, AAL, Shackles, and Torsion twist up front...I did have to trim, I have never broking a CV, I make sure I replace wheel bearings and ball joints but it is possible

First day all clean and new with the 35x12.5x15 BFG's
DSC03307.jpg

Playing around
IMG_8156.jpg

one more
CG06.jpg

The story is actually about NOT having a come-a-long. I had just bought a Ranger 4x4 extended cab. My boys were riding in the jump seats in the back and my father in law was riding with me up front. I must note that the truck had street tires that were slap worn out. My father in law was showing me some trails off of a paved road that he would like to explore at some point in the future. Well, I broke several rules of off roading, I just dove off of the road and on to the trail without putting the truck in 4x4, locking in the hubs, and driving really slow. LOL. I didn't make it 75 feet before I was stuck in the mud!
Street tires were buried in this sticky nasty mud! I had zero experience getting out of the mud! Thankfully, my father in law was able to get the truck out through some exceptional off roading skills he has. I vowed I would never go off roading without a come-a-long again. We were extreamly lucky to be able to get out of that mess.

jerem0621

sparkyXplorer: Thanks very much for your input and i definatly think that help me make up my mind. Secondly very nice Explorer and thanks for the pictures. What size wheels do you have and what type of back spacing to help alittle with turning clearance.

jerem061: HaHa. Thanks for the story, and i will be sure to take plenty of people with plenty of knowledge when i go offroading.(i will send them into the mud first)

The story is actually about NOT having a come-a-long. I had just bought a Ranger 4x4 extended cab. My boys were riding in the jump seats in the back and my father in law was riding with me up front. I must note that the truck had street tires that were slap worn out. My father in law was showing me some trails off of a paved road that he would like to explore at some point in the future. Well, I broke several rules of off roading, I just dove off of the road and on to the trail without putting the truck in 4x4, locking in the hubs, and driving really slow. LOL. I didn't make it 75 feet before I was stuck in the mud!
Street tires were buried in this sticky nasty mud! I had zero experience getting out of the mud! Thankfully, my father in law was able to get the truck out through some exceptional off roading skills he has. I vowed I would never go off roading without a come-a-long again. We were extreamly lucky to be able to get out of that mess.

jerem0621

Come a longs are not the best idea off road, most people including myself would much rather use a high lift, with the possibility of winching with it if necessary. Normally a come a long is not going to get enough leverage to move a stuck truck. Best idea of all is to not wheel alone and always have recovery points with straps.

i have a 97 xlt 5.0 i have 35"s with a tt shackles and a body lift. it does put more strain on ball joints and hubs im on my second set in a year. but its so worth it lol i will never go back to a 33"

Back