93 Ford Explorer Problems!!VIDEO INSIDE! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ford Explorer Problems!!VIDEO INSIDE!

at this point i would replace all of the houses for that just to make sure there isn't any clogs and if you can't get that flowing then you might want to be careful because you can risk cracking the block.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok now i encounter a WEIRD!! problem me nor my buddy have NEVER seen this before...Ok when the Truck warms up and i rev it by hand this Hose litterally Squeezes in like its being pinched?what would cause this? i have never seen this before..The hose doesnt appear damaged..

user110220_pic2360_1254700219.jpg

that hose there in the middle..it goes from the upper Radiator hose into the Thermostat when reved it pinches itself shut??..what would cause this??

****NOTE****

The photo Being used Was found on this Forum as A reference

There you have it. That hose should remain stiff. I would replace it. The wter pump drawing pressure thru the engine is sucking it closed, which will cut coolant flow and cause overheat.

Could be a clogged radiator also, but it is usually a floppy and soft worn out hose which does this

There you have it. That hose should remain stiff. I would replace it. The wter pump drawing pressure thru the engine is sucking it closed, which will cut coolant flow and cause overheat.

Could be a clogged radiator also, but it is usually a floppy and soft worn out hose which does this

Floppy and Soft it is!!!!...I mean im praying the Radiator isnt clogged after putting that Head Gasket Fix stuff in it...but i did flush it! but i still do see a few particles in my coolant when i look inside!!!..but im WOUNDERING!!!!!!..if maybe this Hose was the problem from the beginning..and thats why the head gaskets went in the first place maybe it ran hott.Im not sure if this truck was sitting before hand or what?

Yes i think i found my main problem..Having just driving and much Searching today..it just seems that Coolant is NOT flowing threw my motor..Which is Causing Everything to run VERY hott..(Temp gauge isnt showing overheating tho)..which is problem heating my oil Pump which is Causing me to have LOW pressure now..It seems the Coolant isnt even making it out of my Radiator.So maybe i need a flush or something Im uncertain....That hose idk why it pinched itself shut before but now it isnt again..but there just isnt coolant going threw the system..my explorer is running worst now from being Driving..we have no choice our only vechile...but i feels really bad now!...oil pressure's even showing lower..i live on a main street kinda hard to work on it..idk what to do!!..but i believe this is my problem..and Now im smoking badly again like it reblew the Head gasket..that head gasket stuff DID work but now from overheating it seems to have blown again.!!

Did you remember to burp the engine after do drained the readded the coolant? You could have air pockets in the engine. Possibly an air pocket around the temperature sensor, giving you a false reading.

Edit- never mind, I didn't see this was already suggested.

Did you remember to burp the engine after do drained the readded the coolant? You could have air pockets in the engine. Possibly an air pocket around the temperature sensor, giving you a false reading.

Honestly im not sure..I have been trying..I was told i could let the Truck warm up..And unscrew the Radiator cap and let the Air Come out that way I tried it but nothing!!...but i dont even Think coolant is Coming out of the Bottom Radiator hose either..Either way it should at least be in there correct??..what should i do now that i have coolant in it and to get the air out i will go out and take video of me driving it quick i will report back in a few mins..!!!

Locate a Haynes manual for your truck, or anything of the like. I believe these OHV engines have "bleeder screws" somewhere at the top. You open them up while the engine is running and they burp air out of the system. Once coolant starts coming out you shut them.

Use the manual to locate these bleeder screws on the engine.

Locate a Haynes manual for your truck, or anything of the like. I believe these OHV engines have "bleeder screws" somewhere at the top. You open them up while the engine is running and they burp air out of the system. Once coolant starts coming out you shut them.

Use the manual to locate these bleeder screws on the engine.

Ok..i just went out did a nice video but somehow it didnt save so im not going back out to do another..ok i warmed it up..opened the Cap..the Fluid is going up and down and was coming out of the cap.ok so as it was warming up was adding more coolant for a bit it just kept coming out!!...NONE of the hoses have coolant coming threw them..Even the lower hose it feels like nothing is in it..not stiff like one would assume!..this couldnt be a faulty water pump could it be??Something clogged from running that Head gasket fix stuff..My head gasket is blown once again..I see smoke again after the first fix attemp because of it overheating..I have no idea where to look..im broke untill friday and have to get to work.i can't afford parts right now if needed...Could Radiator be clogged??where should i start its coming that involves..Rad,thermostat,possiably water pump i have no idea?..but if the water pump was bad would the coolant in the rad heat up at all and go up and down??when i did buy this truck a week ago the temp gauges was going up and down but always staying in the normal??

At this point I would remove the thermostat and see if coolant will flow.

I think you may need to put the rubber o ring into the thermostat housing to seal it. It should come off the thermostat, be careful not to tear it.

At this point I would remove the thermostat and see if coolant will flow.

I think you may need to put the rubber o ring into the thermostat housing to seal it. It should come off the thermostat, be careful not to tear it.

yes!! but there isnt even Coolant Flowing threw my LOWER radiator hose...and thats even before the thermostat?so what sense would that make to start ripping and tearing away at that..Aren't these thermostat's on these son of a B*tches to change??

yes!! but there isnt even Coolant Flowing threw my LOWER radiator hose...and thats even before the thermostat?so what sense would that make to start ripping and tearing away at that..Aren't these thermostat's on these son of a B*tches to change??
just read all your posts. my 96 explorer 4.0 did pretty much the same things. i used THERMAGASKET and it worked for a couple weeks, temp gauge went up and down, never too hot. took out thermostat, rad hose was collapsing, got new one did same thing. put wire out of another hose in to stop it. oil pressure ok. owners manual says it is hard to bleed air out, might take 5 days. just check and refill every morning the overflow tank. never got mine right. i was told the radiator could be clogged. never had tested. also the water pump fins could be deteriorated ? mine got so bad it quit running, got it started another day and barely got it up my drive. went out the next day and had an icicle hanging from the tailpipe. i was just using water since i knew i had to rebuild or replace. which i am getting ready to do. well good luck. let us know what happens.

I wouldn't assume your head gasket is blown just yet. Do a little more diagnosing and try to narrow it down more.

First thing is to get the coolant system bled properly. I found the best way with my explorer is to use a coolant system flush 'T' sold in kits by prestone or other mfgrs. Place the T in the heater hose about a foot from the fire wall. This will give you a cap that is higher than the heater core and helps get all air out. Cost a few bucks and will come in handy later also.

Next, if you are burning coolant, you still might not have a blown head gasket. The lower intake maniflod could be loose and allow coolant into the intake runner(s). Check the intake bolts.

After that, you can get a tester that will tell you if you have a blown head gasket or cracked head. Autozone will loan the tester and you just have to buy the fluid. It's called a Combustion Leak Tester. Looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76

I wouldn't assume your head gasket is blown just yet. Do a little more diagnosing and try to narrow it down more.

First thing is to get the coolant system bled properly. I found the best way with my explorer is to use a coolant system flush 'T' sold in kits by prestone or other mfgrs. Place the T in the heater hose about a foot from the fire wall. This will give you a cap that is higher than the heater core and helps get all air out. Cost a few bucks and will come in handy later also.

Next, if you are burning coolant, you still might not have a blown head gasket. The lower intake maniflod could be loose and allow coolant into the intake runner(s). Check the intake bolts.

After that, you can get a tester that will tell you if you have a blown head gasket or cracked head. Autozone will loan the tester and you just have to buy the fluid. It's called a Combustion Leak Tester. Looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76
thanks jwv3 for the info. i just installed a flush kit before adding the stop leak so i could get all the antifreeze out. the t is the highest point now, so i would open it when i filled the coolant to get any air out. i think the leak never got sealed completely so the coolant stayed low. would the intake leak so bad i could use all the coolant in about 10 miles on the freeway ?? you can watch the coolant poor out the exhaust. also my oil now looks like pudding. whatever it is its really bad. haven't got the truck to my friends garage yet to start tearing down but i will soon. thanks again for the info.

If your oil looks like pudding and you are losing a large amount of water, you are looking at cracked head or blown head gasket - most likely from continued overheating. You might have your friend look into finding another 4.0l motor for you, it may end up being cheaper than rebuilding this one. Never the less, you will need to flush the cooling system to get all the additives out of radiator and rest of cooling system so it doesn't ruin the motor again. It could have stopped up the w/p or thermostat.
Keep us posted on what he finds and what you end up doing to it.

My thoughts exactly. I already found another engine. And for the price i think it would be cheaper. Don't know what heads would cost. Also get a warenty with the engine, so i think i will go that way. You misunderstood about my friends garage, i will be doing the work, just using his garage. With a hand from him when needed lol. Thanks for the input. I will let you know how it goes. Try to get some pics also. NO SENSE GETTING UPSET,,THAT JUST MAKES THE JOB HARDER

1st I would have to agree with a cracked head or blown head gasket. 2nd the stop leak stuff is okay as a patch but there are some bad things with them also. They do tend to plug radiators. I found this out a few times first hand. They also can plug or stop a thermostat from working right or at all. If you do replace the heads or the motor replace the radiator and heater core with new units you will be money a head. also at that time replace all of your radiator hoses and heater hoses and I do mean all of them again you will be money ahead as the one you do not replace will be the one that blows from the new better flow and pressure

More good input. Keep it coming guys. Any tips, tricks, suggestions on changing 96 4.0 explorer engine ??? Thanks to all !!

Back