BAD Shimmy at 70 and shimmys turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BAD Shimmy at 70 and shimmys turning

Yamaha101

Reaction score
City, State
Edinboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Just changed front drivers side wheel bearing and now it doing this. Drives fine under 70 and only shimmys...BANGS when it gets to 70 and up. Diffently in the steering wheel, seems to be coming from the drivers front. Steering wheel will also shimmy while turning back and forth in park???? ANY HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was it doing this before changing the bearings?
if not, then something went wrong on the re-install. Did they go on straight? Are the nuts torqued to spec? I don't know the spec, but it may be on some sheet that came with the new bearings.

Are the wheel lugs torqued also?

I don't know how much 4X4 or AWD add to the issues(if yours is 4X4 or AWD?).

If all is on straight, and torqued properly, I would have to say that maybe you got some bad bearings.

Bearing was howling and starting to grind every once in awhile b4 swap. Everything went well with the swap....torqued to specs. Its AWD. Like I said smooth and quite till 70 then itll start shaking like mother...back her down then it smooth and quite. Seems to be the same feeling when not driving and turning the wheel will shake the steering wheel.

when I get home Im going to pull wheel and double check everything....had to of missed something

If you turned the wheel at all to get at the bolts with the truck off, you got air in your power steering lines.
You bleed them by turning the wheel lock to lock with the motor runing.

If you turned the wheel at all to get at the bolts with the truck off, you got air in your power steering lines.
You bleed them by turning the wheel lock to lock with the motor runing.

That doesn't make any sense at all. The front bearing assemblies are a complete hub/bearing/ABS sensor assembly. Turning the wheels whether on the ground or up on jack stands does not let air into the power steering at all :thumbdwn:

Because the fronts are complete pressed assemblies, it could just be a bad hub assembly itself. Where did you get it from, what brand, etc?

Also, because you have CV axles in the front, were you careful not to extend them out when you pulled the fronts off...did you use a puller to separate the axles from the hub assembly so as not to extend the CV axle or boot thus damaging it? The "bang" you describe sounds like CV damage or wear. The shimmy you describe sounds like a warped part, or incorrect/uneven torque on the bolts and/or axle nut that you have to reassemble.

Did you make sure to torque the axle nut back to correct spec (Ford recommends replacing this nut in the hub change, as it's not a "reusable" nut). Did you torque your wheel lugs back to 100 ft lbs each?

I did move the wheel with engine off while replacing. Does sorta feel like that, air in the lines.
I got the new hub from advance auto...only had the cheap one in stock so its the on I bought.
Tourqued everything to spec, did reuse axle nut.
Axle was free inside of hub, was able to push without problem. I did have trouble getting old hub out of the housing. maybe I F'd something up trying to get it out.

Update....On my way home from work yesterday and to work this morning could not get it to duplicate what it had done before. Wheel will also no longer shimmy when it is in park and I am turning the wheel either?!?!?!?!

Hope it stays that way...Thanks for the ideas

Looks like you got all the air out happens alot when guys work on these front ends.

Back