Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today...

r37ribution

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsi/MI Y town! whoot whooot!!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 "Sport" XLT 4.0L OHV
No, I'm not joking. Yes I really did order it.

Rick Barnes returned my call today to inform me that they just received their first batch of diffs. Lucky for me today was pay day! $490 + 15 shipping & handeling.

It won't be available on their web site until end of the month and is a "drop in replacement".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very good. I paid about $400 or so for my first two 8.8 Zexel-Torsens, that's a decent current price.

This would have been better a year ago before I had mine rebuilt though. Let us know how it goes. Regards,

Limited slip in the front, why not a locker? just curious

It's a very street and ice friendly differential, completely smooth in all conditions. They do not hold power evenly to the axles like a strong locker. That's the compromise for the smoothness. For the back they are fine for road coarse racing, but no good for high power drag racing. They can last the life of the vehicle, but only if the power and traction don't overpower them. Thus they will be well tested in a serious off roading truck.

No, I'm not joking. Yes I really did order it.

Rick Barnes returned my call today to inform me that they just received their first batch of diffs. Lucky for me today was pay day! $490 + 15 shipping & handeling.

It won't be available on their web site until end of the month and is a "drop in replacement".

Are you absolutely 100% positive it'll work for the IFS front end? Make double-sure it's got the grooves in it to accept the circlips that hold the inner CV joints into the axle.

Make double-sure it's got the grooves in it to accept the circlips that hold the inner CV joints into the axle.
Thread jack!

Do you have a close up picture of the grooves for the cir-clips? Just wondering.

I have been in contact with Another locker company & they say theirs will work with either c-clips or cir-clips. I am just trying to make sure the tech I dealt with actually understands my needs. I would like to forward the picture to him.

Sure don't... Sorry. My suggestion would be to see if someone on here has a stock one they've torn apart. I've never monkeyed-around with mine (and hope I never need to).

edit: Another thought: If they tell you it'll fit a '93, then it probably won't work for yours.

Are you absolutely 100% positive it'll work for the IFS front end? Make double-sure it's got the grooves in it to accept the circlips that hold the inner CV joints into the axle.
Rick said it will only fit the front of a ranger/explorer.

Rick said it will only fit the front of a ranger/explorer.

Yes, I know that... But the first-generation Explorers and late-80s/early/90s Rangers with the twin traction beam front suspension take a different front differential from the second generation IFS Explorers and IFS Rangers. Yes, both are Dana-35 axles, but the two front differentials are NOT the same.

So, again, if it will work in a 91-94 Explorer front end, it likely will not work in a 95-01 front axle.

Make sure you're getting the proper part.

Sure don't... Sorry. My suggestion would be to see if someone on here has a stock one they've torn apart. I've never monkeyed-around with mine (and hope I never need to).

edit: Another thought: If they tell you it'll fit a '93, then it probably won't work for yours.

This Rep claims the lunchbox locker will work in a 95-96 CAD front. The CAD being the key factor for it to work, and function for a DD. (For those who don't know, the CAD separates the pass side axle so it is not a full time live axle.)

I am just wondering if the lunchbox style for the front just bypasses the clips altogether? Where they don't come into play? :dunno:

This Rep claims the lunchbox locker will work in a 95-96 CAD front. The CAD being the key factor for it to work, and function for a DD. (For those who don't know, the CAD separates the pass side axle so it is not a full time live axle.)

I am just wondering if the lunchbox style for the front just bypasses the clips altogether? Where they don't come into play? :dunno:

Aaah, see, there we go... You weren't giving us the whole story. A lunchbox-locker uses the OE diff carrier and side gears, so yes, it'll work just fine.

I thought we were still talking about a Torsen or something similar.

Yes, I know that... But the first-generation Explorers and late-80s/early/90s Rangers with the twin traction beam front suspension take a different front differential from the second generation IFS Explorers and IFS Rangers. Yes, both are Dana-35 axles, but the two front differentials are NOT the same.

So, again, if it will work in a 91-94 Explorer front end, it likely will not work in a 95-01 front axle.

Make sure you're getting the proper part.
Good point, I didn't realize that.

I called him back, he said that it is specific to the 95-01 Explorer and will also fit the 98-current Ranger. Torsen confirmed payment and it is shipping out today UPS. ETA is two days.

Interesting... Tuning into this one.

Make sure you don't just drop it in and assume everything is correct. You won't need to worry about the pinion depth if you're re-using the original gears, but you will need to re-shim the carrier itself when you install it.

Aaah, see, there we go... You weren't giving us the whole story. A lunchbox-locker uses the OE diff carrier and side gears, so yes, it'll work just fine.

I thought we were still talking about a Torsen or something similar.

Whoops! Sorry Charlie. Sometimes my brain does not relay the info needed for others to understand me:D

Interesting... Tuning into this one.

Make sure you don't just drop it in and assume everything is correct. You won't need to worry about the pinion depth if you're re-using the original gears, but you will need to re-shim the carrier itself when you install it.

These front diff's are tricky to set up. Do not just yank one apart and figure to do it with common tools.

I had mine rebuilt last year, by a Ford tech and friend. He hadn't done one either, but he'd done tons of others. He discovered that the bearings are extremely hard to remove with normal bearing pullers. He consulted with other techs and found an answer. Some older tool sets for building diff's had a puller that could get into the tight space of these. That tool is not common.

Ask others here about what they used for tools to do the front diff.

Will do, thanks for the input. I will be regearing the front to 4.56 to match my rear.

I received the front diff on Friday. I will get pics ASAP.

I stuck my finger inside and felt en empty ring just before the spline so i think we're in good shape. :)

Excellent, did you notice how heavy it is? I recall how the 8.8 version is very heavy compared to a regular diff, I'd guess about 50 pounds or so.

This thing is a lot smaller than my TruTrac (which was pretty heavy). Shipping weight was 19lbs but it feels heavier than that.

I'm surprised they even went through with building the front torsen, there's been talk of it for years and a release date that was always pushed back again and again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, I was thinking the same thing.

Then the guy from Torsen said its compatible with current Rangers, which means there is still a market for brand new vehicles and not just one for a dwindling number of old vehicles.

Also, they could make a deal with Ford to include it as a factory option. Isn't there already an option for a Torsen in the rear?

Back