how to make fog light turn on with AUTO headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to make fog light turn on with AUTO headlights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leave headlamp switch on auto and pull the knob out slightly to activate fog lamps. When engine is shutoff and the delay timer times out everything will go out. When you start vehicle and sensors detect a need for headlights the headlights and fog lights will come on.

Maybe if you replace the switch with the newer one it will work. Your 2002 may have an older switch that was replaced in newer model years. My 05 pulls out in Auto.

My 02 won't cut on with the auto setting either but my 08 will. So it is just something they changed later on.

STU

This is really weird, because my 2002 purchased new will pull out in auto, and That's where I leave it. The strange thing is my fogs are on anytime the truck is on, even if the auto headlights aren't on.

This is really weird, because my 2002 purchased new will pull out in auto, and That's where I leave it. The strange thing is my fogs are on anytime the truck is on, even if the auto headlights aren't on.

not weird at all, ford's [other] version of drl's.

Mine Merc has no DRL's at all. I usually use the parks and driving lights. They are bright enough to drive by without the headlights but I don't when it gets dark. My 08 is the same no drl's but the driving lights will pull out in auto.

STU

My 02 won't cut on with the auto setting either but my 08 will. So it is just something they changed later on.

STU

My '02 doesn't pull out in "auto" or any other setting but the one designated for the foglights. Always found that a screwy setup not allowing choice.

My 02 has to turn to the left and pull it out and there ya go

I believe there must have been a design change at some point in '02 or later. I had an '02 F150 that did the same thing. On a different forum there was a write up on how to pull the switch, take it apart, file off a little nub that stopped you from pulling it out when in fog mode. It was actually pretty easy to do. My '04 Limited allows me to pull it out for fogs in auto from the factory. I'm thinking replacing the switch with a newer one is the quick and easy fix, however taking out the switch and filing the nub down was pretty easy to do too and free... :)

I believe there must have been a design change at some point in '02 or later. I had an '02 F150 that did the same thing. On a different forum there was a write up on how to pull the switch, take it apart, file off a little nub that stopped you from pulling it out when in fog mode. It was actually pretty easy to do. My '04 Limited allows me to pull it out for fogs in auto from the factory. I'm thinking replacing the switch with a newer one is the quick and easy fix, however taking out the switch and filing the nub down was pretty easy to do too and free... :)

Do you have a link to this?

Back