Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, I haven't seen the ttiwwp smilie before.

sspx0090ed.jpg

sspx0078ed.jpg

sspx0087ed.jpg

sspx0084ed.jpg

...and here is what I've been spending all my time on in case you were wondering.

sspx0092ed.jpg

I, too, am interested in this. I would like to put a Torsen in the front of my '06 (to match the one in the rear.)

Looking forward to hear/see your progress and problems...

Looks almost like the quaife I have in the front of mine. So unfair got the front diff I have after Torsen said they shelf the whole project. Then less than a 6 months later they decide to make it :mad:.

Glad to see you have it works very well in the front. Side note I'm not happy with the Torsen in the rear. In deep snow it will spin only one wheel but the front will lockup and spin both wheels. I may soon see detroit locker in the rear. We have been dumped on hard with snow where. It works great in my 04 mach1 can lay down 2 long black strips:p:.

Looks almost like the quaife I have in the front of mine. So unfair got the front diff I have after Torsen said they shelf the whole project. Then less than a 6 months later they decide to make it :mad:.

Glad to see you have it works very well in the front. Side note I'm not happy with the Torsen in the rear. In deep snow it will spin only one wheel but the front will lockup and spin both wheels. I may soon see detroit locker in the rear. We have been dumped on hard with snow where. It works great in my 04 mach1 can lay down 2 long black strips:p:.

Yes, I read that about the Torsen not staying locked with high loads. They aren't made to hold huge differential loads between the axles. They do great for the normal straight line use, street and road racing. When the difference in traction between the two tires gets to a certain point, the power just goes one way. So that makes it a problem for serious drag racing, off roading, and your example of deep snow.

My 98 truck did great in many trips in the snow delivering mail. That was all minor traction issues though, with enough throttle both back tires would spin, along with one front tire.

... Side note I'm not happy with the Torsen in the rear. In deep snow it will spin only one wheel but the front will lockup and spin both wheels. ...

When you are in that situation, use your brake pedal. You can either drag the brakes a little, to help transfer power, or stab-and-release (quickly) the pedal. Each method can help the differential work effectively.

Personally, I don't think a Detroit is the best answer for snow/ice.

Ditto, the key is to keep the Torsen in the range that it works best, not loading down one tire too much. With an off road truck you get a tire pinned in place against an obstacle a lot, and that is hard to avoid.

Yes I know about the brake trick have used it:p:. But doesn't always stay locked up per say

But try going through deep snow nice long patch of it trying to work both pedals can be a bit hard on the trans. Nice gravel roads draft over good. It did better with stock trac-loc in snow. Ok I go out and play in the snow drafts too. I've had detroit lockers before in cars it's not that bad as some say unless you are a total dumba** don't know how to use the gas pedal. Shorter the wheelbase more it pushes and pulls you some. But the Ranger is longer than the 70 mustang and 76 mustang II that I had them in. But they work better with automatics but 76 was little brutal with a stick it's very short wheelbase. Yes it's alittle harder on tires.

For the Torsen issues, what weight of gear lube are you running in them? It makes a HUGE difference in their performance, as does the type of fluid (i.e. dno or synthetic). All the gear-based limited slips (torsen, quaife, and TruTrac) are very sensitive to what weight oil you run in them. They will never lock up solid, and they shouldn't, but they should come darn close to it under load.

They do, however, require *some* opposing force from the low-traction wheel to lock. It doesn't take much, which is why dragging the brakes a little bit works so well. I vaguely recall seeing a Hummer H1 in a promotional video for one of the major manufacturers (I want to say it was Eaton) where they had a demo on a stand... You could grab one side and hold it, but if you grabbed the other side with the slightest resistance, it locked-up and drove them both.

Well right now it is Syn oil in both diffs I know oil weight and type effect them on how they operate. I have already thought of that and about changing it out. I know it won't lock up solid like a locker will. Driving through deep snow and mud are low torq and low traction makes it hard to transfer power where it is needed. Trying to get through big area of snow and mud you are trying to keep forward movement going riding the brake can be hard to do. Should have bought the T-2R they are very pricey but then it would have end up in the mustang. On ice all limited slips and lockers will side step you even open diffs will too.

For the Torsen issues, what weight of gear lube are you running in them?...

In my 2006, a Torsen was standard (in the rear.) Ford recommends 75W-140. When I rebuild the rear axle in my '93, and added a Torsen, I initially ran 75W-90. It did slip a little more than I expected. I'm now running 75W-140, and it seems to be a little tighter.

75W-140 is what I have in mine.

My 1st thought thinner oil would make it react faster. Torsen never gave me anwser on this one

Who did you order your Torsen from?

I ordered mine from Rieder Racing (10 years ago) and since then they have gone out of business and apparently started again. This time, though, they have a much more limited selection of parts.

Ordered mine from place in Michigan the name has slipped from me. Everything is packed up for the move to a house.

Who did you order your Torsen from?

I ordered mine from Rieder Racing (10 years ago) and since then they have gone out of business and apparently started again. This time, though, they have a much more limited selection of parts.

Is Reider Racing back? I got both of mine there for about $390 each.

Where did you get it r37? I want! I want! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the torsen part number??

CMAX

Back