i need offroad ideas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i need offroad ideas

Freekout21

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
alright, i just bought a black 2001 ford explorer sport everything is stock on it and i want some sweet ideas on modifications i can make to make this thing as sweet as possible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing came up when you SEARCHED??

I have ideas im just wonderin if there is anything else i can do ive searched and so far i am planning on a 4 inch lift with 33's black rims a black bull bar with 2 spot lights and basket on top with spot lights

Maybe skip the "bull bar" - useless for "off roading". But other than that, yeah, search-a-saurus .. cauz there's plenty "you can do", its just a matter of resources (time/money) and knowing the "unknowns".

2001 sport... oh man I would go to town!! whats the budget timeline and trucks final useage?

yeah unless you live in west texas and are dealing with tumble weeds or plan on hitting some deer, the bull guard can actually hinder your offroading. perhaps some custom made bumpers with built in light protection down the line is more of what you want

Depends on what you want to do. Keep searching you'll find good examples of second gen trucks on this site. For a basic setup go TT, shackles, sliders winch, trim for 33's and a locker for the front/rear and you should be good for most trails.

only thing is i live in illinois and i hunt and fish and am always on backroads scoutin deer and it is extremely common to hit a deer so i figure the bull bar would serve a second purpse besides looking good. I just am going to make this thing as bad ass as possible my friend has a jeep wrangler and my other friend has a chevy 1500 lifted 6 inches and they both tell me that my explorer wont ever do what theirs can and im going to prove them wrong if u guys want to make any suggestions on where i could find some good tires rims and a solid 4" lift kit that would help alot im having trouble finding a lift for it.

Skip the bull bar, get a custom steel bumper for a winch, or with shackle brackets on it. That will stop a deer better than a flimsy bull bar anyways. I say go with rockwells and at least 39.5" boggers. :D If you go big enough you can get pinion brakes too!

only thing is i live in illinois and i hunt and fish and am always on backroads scoutin deer and it is extremely common to hit a deer so i figure the bull bar would serve a second purpse besides looking good.
Look at how most bullbars are mounted - bolts in single shear on a single plane - not ideal for a deer collision when you dont know which angle the deer is coming from. And most collisions happen at the corner of the vehicle (which is why IIHS test collision is offset) - where the bullbar is not.

I just am going to make this thing as bad ass as possible my friend has a jeep wrangler and my other friend has a chevy 1500 lifted 6 inches and they both tell me that my explorer wont ever do what theirs can and im going to prove them wrong .
Off the bat, I think you have the wrong approach - dont modify a vehicle to increase its "bad ass" level or to try to up someone else's vehicle. Its not a competition (or if you are into competitions, look at desert racing).

and i have about 3 -4 grand to do this
Search/browse the "SAS" registry and order a nice 220v MIG welder.

Off the bat, I think you have the wrong approach - dont modify a vehicle to increase its "bad ass" level or to try to up someone else's vehicle. Its not a competition.

Search/browse the "SAS" registry and order a nice 220v MIG welder.

X2 Having a good welder and being able to use it makes the possibilities virtually limitless. Hopefully you don't live in an apartment like me, lol.

hahaha naw im nnot trying to up someone elses vehicle when i bought my explorer i had these plans to do all this and make it bad ass off road material i just cant stand when people walk up to u and go dude whatever u do to that explorer it is never ever going to be what u want it to be and do what u want it to do thats bull and no i live in a house

I say go with rockwells and at least 39.5" boggers.

this man has a good head on his shoulders :D

For tires and wheels, search google for a state 4x4 website/forum. Chances are there won't be many applicable parts in the "for sale" section for an explorer but you can find great deals on lightly used tires and wheels. That's how I found my tires.

I agree with everyone else, nix the bullbar idea and get a fab shop to build you a custom bumper instead. Or make one yourself or have a friend do it. $3-4k will get you pretty far with these trucks if you spend wisely.

Yeah no 'bull bar'. I don't think they have a use other than being something for JC Whitney to sell.

You're better off with some tires, lift, tow points, and maybe some lights?

i know where yall are coming from with the no bull bar now it would pretty much be a waste of money. Thing is i feel like the front would be to plain just leaving the tow points but u know if someones gotta pull me out there nice to haver ( not that i plan on having to be pulled out) but where could i mount spot lights?

im buying a set of cooper stt's 32" from a friend that have about 90% tread for $250 and now i need a lift... question is..... how much will a 3" lift cost and should i do body or suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMPER!!!! search the "performance lighting" forum you'll find all sorts of ideas there

Back