K&N for 4.6

falcon54

Reaction score
City, State
Westminster, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 4.6L limited
Hey guys,

I just recently got a magnaflow exhaust put on my 2003 limited and I love it. The sound and perormance are just what I was looking for. I am new to the whole mod thing and have done a lot of research and searching on the forum. I would like to get a cold air intake from jc Whitney, I am looking at the k&n 77 series for $280. If someone could give me their opinions of this particular cai and jc Whitney that would be great.

Thanks guys,
Tyler

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

I just recently got a magnaflow exhaust put on my 2003 limited and I love it. The sound and perormance are just what I was looking for. I am new to the whole mod thing and have done a lot of research and searching on the forum. I would like to get a cold air intake from jc Whitney, I am looking at the k&n 77 series for $280. If someone could give me their opinions of this particular cai and jc Whitney that would be great.

Thanks guys,
Tyler

I have the K&N on my 4.6L. Put it on before I had my 50 series fm installed and the sound when you give it the gas is nice. I burned a lot of fuel just because I wanted to hear the nice roar. I'm sure it helps slightly performance wise but not enough to really notice too much. Now with that and the 50 series, my explorer sounds like a real truck. Makes driving much more pleasant :D

I have it on my 2005 4.6L and I love it. Easy to install, love the sound, and better throttle response. Go for it!

They "sound" good, but as far as performance goes.......that may be vehicle specific, since every vehicle makes different numbers to be specific.

I would just save up another $100 or so, and get a 70mm or 75mm Throttle Body/Intake Plenum. They are atleast dyno proven to give around 7-10hp, give or take. On 4.6L motors with ported heads, they can net around 15-20hp.

go for the 70mm, unless your pushing serious mods (cams, blower, stroker, EXC) your just wasting some extra cash.

im thinking of putting a K&N CAI on my 4.6. does it make a difference in the start up noise. you know when the engine first starts and it sucks in all hte air. will a CAI make that louder.

the K&N makes EVERY engine noise louder... it actualy sounds realy good.

Thanks for the replies guys. After doing a little more research I came across the MAC cai. Do any of you guys have experience with these on your 4.6L? After I purchase my cai I will definatly get a bigger Throttle Body/Intake Plenum.

i dont, i didnt buy theirs because in all my years of modding vehicles id never heard of MAC, so i went with name brand and did the K&N, the sad fact is you will save some money with the mac, but in terms of vehicles and mods, you usualy get what you pay for. to be safe, spend the bills and get the good stuff.

The plenum will need to be modified, so if you want help with that hit me up for what i did to mine. go with BBK for the throttle body as well.

Thanks zerodevil. I will definatly get a hold of you about the plenum.

Get the K & N or MAC--I think you will be happy with either.

I have a 70mm MAC TB and C&L Plenum combo from James at Henson and love the set up...

Do you guys suggest the 70mm vs the 75mm. What are you guys runnin'? I've seen trick flow, mac, accufab, bbk, and c&l. I would like to get both the tb and plenum. Do any of you guys have luck with tb spacers?

Thanks,
Tyler

tb spacers are a toss up... some believe they help, and some dont...

go 70mm unless your running F.I. or CAMS etc...

Do you guys suggest the 70mm vs the 75mm. What are you guys runnin'? I've seen trick flow, mac, accufab, bbk, and c&l. I would like to get both the tb and plenum. Do any of you guys have luck with tb spacers?

Thanks,
Tyler

70mm MAC is what I have but I think many of the brands you list are reputable.

I don't have any experience with the tb spacers...

Back