• Register Today It's free!

98 explorer sub

johnny090881

Reaction score
City, State
DOWNEY CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EDDIE BAUER EXPLORER
Alright i got an 98 eddie bauer explorer, now the rear 8" sub is blown out. I want to keep my suv looking stock but i do want to install a aftermarket subwoofer. What brand name subwoofers fit the oem box in the back or if you got the model numbers of the speakers i would really appreciate it. I've seen the jl, cvt kicker but i also want other options if there is any.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does at least anyone know the depth of the subwoofer?

Alright i got an 98 eddie bauer explorer, now the rear 8" sub is blown out. I want to keep my suv looking stock but i do want to install a aftermarket subwoofer. What brand name subwoofers fit the oem box in the back or if you got the model numbers of the speakers i would really appreciate it. I've seen the jl, cvt kicker but i also want other options if there is any.

well just about any 8" sub should fit they dont even make shallow mount 8" subs so just brand prefrence

the depth on the speakers are the problem I purchased a jl audio speaker and it wont fit so now i"m trying to find a speaker ring so it could give me more depth for the speaker. any suggestions? anyone

self fabricate it

I'm gonna be tackling putting a new sub in the factory box shortly. From what I've read elsewhere, you have room to knock out the back of the enclosure an inch or so.

You just need to use a heat gun to soften the plastic, then some object to push it out. Then if you use a spacer ring (havent seen one for an 8" so you will need to make out outta MDF) you should be fine.

I believe the factory mount depth is like 3 3/8", my new sub is 4.25" so I'm gonna have to improvise too.

I also may make a new grille cover for it too, as I want my new expensive sub to at least look nice

completed the installation, I would post the pics put don't know how to attach the pics.Sounds really good. just bought a 1/4" thick piece of wood and customized it to fit the speaker, but it came out better then what I thought.

You can;'t attach files to posts on here, you need to host them online and then post them here.

You can use Photobucket.com, if it's too hard just email them to me and I'll upload them. (PM Me for my email if you need to)

Umm... they do make shallow mount 8" subwoofers. A kicker cvt comes in a 12" 10" 8" and 6.5" sub... so ya just fyi. And pioneer makes a shallow 8" woofer as well. ;)

Thanks for the info but just installed a jl audio with a spacer I made and sounds way better then what I though it would be.

photo-5.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

I bought a BNIB Sundown e8 for $60 shipped. I figured since I'm pulling out the sub, I might as well redo everything else as well, so I'm buying a Crunch P900.4 4 channel amp for my Infinity Reference 6.5" in the front doors and Pioneer 6x8" in the back doors. Then for the sub I'm getting a Matching Crunch P1100.2 Amp that puts out 550wrms, so that little 8" will be kickin hard

Ya I just wanted to get that info out. Nice install!

Back