• Register Today It's free!

v6 explorer i4 ranger trans

Drednaut

Reaction score
City, State
Wayne, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 eddie bauer 94 navajo
will the trans out of a 2wd ranger with a 4 cyl work in my 94 explorer 2wd? im going to the junk yard to pull the trans from the ranger tomarow.:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any input anyone?

im gonna say no

completely different motor so most likely different trans

completely different motor so most likely different trans

well i went on line and found a site with a exploded image and it says the trans was used in all explorer, ranger, and aerostars with a 2wd manual from 1988- till 1998

Bellhousing bolt patterns are different, so it will depend (at least in part) on whether the transmission(s) in question have removable or integral bellhousings. I wouldn't be surprised if the input shaft is different as well.

What transmission(s) are we talking about? I know I've heard of many people who rebuild their V6 M5OD with the internals from a 4 cylinder M5OD, because the 4 cylinder version uses a lower 1st gear ratio.

If A4LD, the 4.0 L A4LD's reportedly have stronger internals than the others, so, even if you figure out the bellhousing, a 4 cylinder A4LD isn't going to hold up too well to the 4.0.

Bellhousing bolt patterns are different, so it will depend (at least in part) on whether the transmission(s) in question have removable or integral bellhousings. I wouldn't be surprised if the input shaft is different as well.

What transmission(s) are we talking about? I know I've heard of many people who rebuild their V6 M5OD with the internals from a 4 cylinder M5OD, because the 4 cylinder version uses a lower 1st gear ratio.

If A4LD, the 4.0 L A4LD's reportedly have stronger internals than the others, so, even if you figure out the bellhousing, a 4 cylinder A4LD isn't going to hold up too well to the 4.0.

i was talkin about the m5od-r1 but i know a guy who gave me a list of ppl to call in the morning about gitting the right trans and the inputshafts are diff thats what my guy said because he used to be a trans speicalist

Back