• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc good motor?

the1hotwheels

Reaction score
City, State
montreal,quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 2wd xlt
I purchase this truck 1 monts ago and the truck have 213000 km (133000mi)
-no oil leak
-the motor run like a BMW:D
-lot of power (99 v6 sohc )

it is a good motor?:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how many milles is it capable again
50000mi
100000mi
150000mi

Depends on how well it has been maintained. But most think its a decent motor and would be great if it wasnt plagued by timing chain issues. There are members who have pushed their sohc to over 200,000 miles plus. I love the sohc for the power and not to concerned about its issues. Hope you are liking your new explorer.

If it starts to make a rattling noise on cold starts, then make sure to get the timing chain tensioners replaced. Otherwise they will fail, and can destroy the motor.

If it starts to make a rattling noise on cold starts, then make sure to get the timing chain tensioners replaced. Otherwise they will fail, and can destroy the motor.

the timing chain tensioners it is replaced 2 weeks ago;)

now the little problem is on cold start ( -10 and more) the idle is very ruff
is go 2000rpm, 400,1200,2000,500... average 2 mins

normal temperature the motor run very smooth
I clean the injector and intake but is not ok at cold start
I go to garage (dealer) this week

Sounds like a possible idle air control sensor prolbem. The easy fix is to take the iac off the motor and clean it well. If you are not sure what this is do a quick search and you will find a few how to on this subject.

could also be intake gaskets. i would clean/change the IAC then go from there. the intake gaskets are not pricey so if they have not been done, i would check into doing them tho (not a hard job to do either).

I neglected mine and it broke at 87K miles and ruined the motor. Cost to get it replaced a little less than 5 grand.

rough idler

could also be intake gaskets. i would clean/change the IAC then go from there. the intake gaskets are not pricey so if they have not been done, i would check into doing them tho (not a hard job to do either).

my 99 did the sam thing comme to find out it was the intake on the right front leaking

I have a good news; intake gasket is ok, the mass air flow is the problem and a other
pieces pc...?? valve have vacuum leak

I've beat the hell out of mine... but I upkeep it the right way and I have just rolled 150K... I'll probably last up to 200K... then I'm dropping in my 5.0 that I'm rebuilding..

How big of a pain are those tensioners to get replaced? I'm pretty sure that's what I need to do

Back