• Register Today It's free!

1999 SOHC with a low idle.

AK_JORDAN

Reaction score
City, State
Fairbanks Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport SOHC
Hey my names jordan and im up here in Alaska and im having trouble with my explorer. It's a 99 sport with the 4.0 SOHC. When it gets between -20 and 20 above my car has trouble idling on its own. It only has 70,000 miles and it has been babied. i recently replace the IAC and that didnt help at all. I have been reading around and i heard it might be the coolant sensor. If so do you need to replace the thermostat the same time you replace the coolant sensor. Also my temp gauge takes forever to come up. Any ideas can help

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ECT & thermostat unrelated

The thermostat, the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor and the engine temperature sender are all independent devices. The ECT is located under the intake manifold and hard to get to. Your thermostat may be sticking open.

The temp gauge takes forever to come up on both my explorer and my dads explorer. a 99 and 01 Sport. I think thats just the way they are.

Your problem could possibly be the lower intake manifold gaskets letting air leak by. This is a common problem with the 4.0 SOHC.

low idle

Hey my names jordan and im up here in Alaska and im having trouble with my explorer. It's a 99 sport with the 4.0 SOHC. When it gets between -20 and 20 above my car has trouble idling on its own. It only has 70,000 miles and it has been babied. i recently replace the IAC and that didnt help at all. I have been reading around and i heard it might be the coolant sensor. If so do you need to replace the thermostat the same time you replace the coolant sensor. Also my temp gauge takes forever to come up. Any ideas can help

Thanks

hey mine is doing the same thing 112000--only iv changed both lower an upper gakest still doing the same thing

Back