Dana 30 Durability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 30 Durability

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
So I'm planning on putting a V8 in my jeep, and after reviewing some tire size/gear ratio charts, it seems that with the 700R4 and my 4.56 gears, 35s are the way to go. I'd like to avoid a front axle swap so I'm wondering if the Dana 30, locked, with the following chromoly shafts and u-joints will hold up. I have a "light" foot and don't like to play in the rocks, if any of that is relevant. I have 33s right now and I'm not unhappy with them, I'd just love to run 35s.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-159906-nitro-dana-30-chromoly-axle-shaft-kit.html

Thanks for any advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it's definately a toss-up. If you were a rock crawler I'd say you have to upgrade. If it were me, and I was already doing a motor and tranny swap, I'd do the axle also. By the time you factor in the cost of upgrading the D30, you're probably halfway to a solid used axle swap.

You're going to be pushing a lot of torque through that axle with the motor, auto tranny, and locker. Even if you're not in the rocks often, all it takes is one time of a slipping tire catching and twisting the axle. And take the opportunity to upgrade to an axle with true hubs instead of the YJ half axle disconnect crap.

Ok, so my recommendation is to upgrade to at least a D44. And an upgraded D44 if you can.

I believe the jeep dana 30's have decent sized shafts and U joints.. so it's probably not bad.

and even though 35's may be a bit of a stretch, a jeep is so light it'll probably do fine as long as you dont do stupid stuff (like jumping in 4wd, or flooring it through wheel hope or with the wheels turned a lot)

i'd run it and replace it if/when it brakes, since you already have it.

but i wouldn't pour a ton of money into it trying to make it stronger when that money could be spent on a new/used d44

Wagoneer D44s are the closest to a bolt-in swap correct? I know steering has to be fabricated and things like that. This engine swap is already going to cost me a lot and with a new axle i'd need new gears and a new locker. This will all be done in my garage so labor cost isn't an issue but axle swaps aren't exactly my idea of a good time so I'd like to avoid it.

And for now, sticking with 33s as they are only a year old, should i drop the money on shafts and ujoints? The set I posted is $500 and swapping shafts isn't difficult.

On a side note, if i were going with a 44 this would be what i'd be looking to do
http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/sjd44yj/

Also for a little more clarification, I've already got the gears and locker in my dana 30, all of that was done a while ago. The only money i'd be putting into it would be the aforementioned shafts and joints.

There's a lot of guys that just leave the D30 the way it is with a V8, you have to remember Grand Cherokee's with the 5.2 and 5.9 came stock with a D30 up front and a lot of those guys are running 35's. It will probably hold up for awhile and sometime down the road may need swapped out, normally its just the rear axle that has to be changed out but I believe you already have an 8.8 so your good on that as well.

Also the waggy 44 is wider and 6lug if you want the same width and bolt pattern then the tj rubicon 44 front is the best answer.

Came across these axles
https://www.rcvperformance.com/stor...id=68&osCsid=a6092a6c16bf7c2271cec32ca0229be0

Basically an "unbreakable" axle shaft with a CV joint instead of a u-joint. If I ran these, what would break next, and how quickly? R&P? Housing? I'm having a hard time finding a straight answer. Operate under the assumption that the shaft and joint won't break. Essentially I want to know if this product makes the D30 workable with 33s or 35s.

I have also contacted RCV by email with a couple questions but all I've gotten back is that their product will hold up and they can't comment on the durability of other components.

Just go for it, how much power out of the V8 are you thinking. Your wrangler is still going to be fairly light, I'm pretty sure your on Jeep forum have you asked around on there, I remember from my days of my yj. There are a lot of guys that are still running their d30 with 35's.

Just go for it, how much power out of the V8 are you thinking. Your wrangler is still going to be fairly light, I'm pretty sure your on Jeep forum have you asked around on there, I remember from my days of my yj. There are a lot of guys that are still running their d30 with 35's.

It's gonna be just a stock engine. What I'm going to do with the axle, I decided today, is first go to 1 piece cherokee d30 shafts with the larger u-joints. When they break, I'll go with the chromos. If and when those fail, it'll be time to seriously consider the RCV axles or a whole new axle completely.

And yeah I'm on jeep forum but I still like this place a little more. I just registered to pirate4x4 today so we'll see how that goes :D:thumbsup:

dana 30

the dana 30 may not be the best axle but it would do. It's 30% rig 70% driver.I know a lot guys running 33's with 35's no problem. V'8 's and 6's. A 44 is better but run what you have.Easy on the foot you will be ok.

Back