RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

For carlover, the stock ones only have to be cut if you are running a superlift with coilover conversion, rcd has it's own stops, ,

Do you mean the ORW kits?

Those pics above are from the ORW site, and they are in fact the ORW coilover kits. I am on another forum that has ORW as a vendor, and those are the exact same pics they have posted.

Cutting the stock stops in half allows room for the coilovers to clear. You still have stops, just half. The materials used for the factory stops is pretty good stuff. They are also cheap enough to buy new ones once the old ones wear out.

Coil bind? Are you serious?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes , you have to cut only half the stop bracket away gman ,the part that would interfere with the coilover, and it may leave the bolt hole still there in which 1/2 of the stock stop could be used in a body lift and ORW application.
if somebody was a handy welder i would guess that they could plate the rest of the bump mount that is left after the coil conversion and put a factory stop back in, but turning it sideways might work,
Depends on coil clearance, as for the guys with superlifts, we are out of luck here and will have to build our own.

Do you mean the ORW kits?

Those pics above are from the ORW site, and they are in fact the ORW coilover kits. I am on another forum that has ORW as a vendor, and those are the exact same pics they have posted.

Cutting the stock stops in half allows room for the coilovers to clear. You still have stops, just half. The materials used for the factory stops is pretty good stuff. They are also cheap enough to buy new ones once the old ones wear out.

Coil bind? Are you serious?

The RCD lift had it's own front crossmember with bump stops built in. You would have to see Daniels truck to understand.

I see no way to leave the stock bump stock bracket in there.

Id give them a call, i couldnt find it on thier website either.

Do you happen to know of any places to buy coilovers at?

I am also looking for springs to go along with the coilovers to go with factory ride to +2 inches. From looking around i think the 2.0x6.5 in. You seem to know alot on the subject, enlighten me on the subject.

The RCD lift had it's own front crossmember with bump stops built in. You would have to see Daniels truck to understand.

I see no way to leave the stock bump stock bracket in there.

I have read a few threads with people using both the ORW, & RCD conversion kits. Both have said they just cut the bump stops in half, including the bracket. They all say it works. I think if it has been done a few times, and that is the normal way to do it, it can be done.

Welding on a disc to the LCA, and welding a tab to the frame, and bolting on an aftermarket bumpstop will work as well. No need for trying to re-invent the wheel here.

Corkey, your not telling me anything I don't know already. I have physically seen/touched a few set ups in my day. As I appreciate you trying to school me, I have been informed and have read up on the coilover conversion long before you ever installed yours. ;) Thanks anyways. :salute:

Personally I think that welding the pad to the LCA and putting a tab on the frame with a bump stop mount on it is the better way to go. You can use a real bump stop that way. Using half the factory bump may work, and its probably what I will do, since its free, but it will be a lot more harsh when it "bumps". But as long as you have something to keep the coil from binding and breaking stuff its all good i guess...

Ok, here is what ORW has to say about it. I PM'd the guy on Ranger-Forums about bump stops. Here is the reply:

"It will be necessary to trim the existing bumpstop mount on the frame. Using the spring as a guide you will need to make the corner of the mount to be trimmed about a 1/2" for clearance."

So the stock bump should still be usable, just trimming a bit of the mount.

hmm so i guess you can just clearance the stock bumstop bracket for clearance and leave the rest, if you are just going with a body lift and an ORW kit.

that is good news for the guys just getting the kit to do what a tt does,and using a body lift.

Ok, here is what ORW has to say about it. I PM'd the guy on Ranger-Forums about bump stops. Here is the reply:

"It will be necessary to trim the existing bumpstop mount on the frame. Using the spring as a guide you will need to make the corner of the mount to be trimmed about a 1/2" for clearance."

So the stock bump should still be usable, just trimming a bit of the mount.
Key word is the mount, once it is trimmed, your good to go.
hmm so i guess you can just clearance the stock bumstop bracket for clearance and leave the rest, if you are just going with a body lift and an ORW kit.

that is good news for the guys just getting the kit to do what a tt does,and using a body lift.

What does a BL have to do with coilovers?

It has nothing to do with a body lift if you are gonna run a 31 inch tire, but to go up to 33's you just need more lift than 2 inches,,

Glad I found this thread.. I have some input here since Corkey's coilovers are my old shocks and the brackets as well.. I have done some crazy stuff in Moab when I had my coilover conversion. I completely cut off the bump stop brackets on my ST. I never had a single issue ever. It would also be VERY easy to make a new bumpstop if needed, however with that said the coilover spring will act as a bumstop as well. Is it the best nope, but it works as I have done Level 4 trails in Moab to confirm it. I have some pics of my setup somewhere and someone needs them shoot me a message and I email them to you. Gregg if are planning on the C/O conversion come to my house and I will hook you up with a install.

CMAX while I can appreciate your enthusiasm to make a kit I do not see how it would be possible to make a 100% "bolt on" kit. You have to gusset your stock shock mounts, no way around it.

Sigh... Why does no one ever want to hook me up with an install? Lol I am 90% decided on this setup now that I know I'm not gonna have any problems with bump stops.

i would hook you up Jason, if you will wait for me , i can't come down till July though,

hmm, late night pre-smorr wrenching?

CMAX while I can appreciate your enthusiasm to make a kit I do not see how it would be possible to make a 100% "bolt on" kit. You have to gusset your stock shock mounts, no way around it.

Chad,

WB. I gotta say thanks to you since you helped me with getting my coilover conversion questions answered. I was always impressed how much you could do with your coilover conversion at moab. I see you went with a SAS, ST looks amazing. Why the SAS if you do not mind me asking?

I can understand your doughts about the bolt on kit. At this moment in time I cannot release CAD screenshots or simulation vids. I am not here to tell your wrong because I had doughts before and during design. Maybe at product release you will have a change of heart.

I just really regreat hacking up my X and hope that everyone benefits from my conversions and lift kits to come.

CMAX

Went with a SAS because it was the next logical thing to do:D

Seriously once I put the 35's on it with the IFS i could never keep it aligned and would destroy a set of tires under a year. Plus I always had that thought in my mind that the stock diff and CV's would not be strong enough. And I wanted more suspension, the 6.5" of travel that EXplorer have just seemed a little small. However others have made it work (Gjarret, John Rock, etc)

Plus it is just cool looking:D

Went with a SAS because it was the next logical thing to do:D

Seriously once I put the 35's on it with the IFS i could never keep it aligned and would destroy a set of tires under a year. Plus I always had that thought in my mind that the stock diff and CV's would not be strong enough. And I wanted more suspension, the 6.5" of travel that EXplorer have just seemed a little small. However others have made it work (Gjarret, John Rock, etc)

Plus it is just cool looking:D

It does look great. Check out my custom lifts page and put your to sense into the mix. Could benefit from all your SAS lift experiences. I will also study your SAS thread.

CMAX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does look great. Check out my custom lifts page and put your to sense into the mix. Could benefit from all your SAS lift experiences. I will also study your SAS thread.

CMAX

Your custom lift page has been going on forever now. All hype and no show.

What do you have so far?

Pictures/cad....ect?

Back