'02 XLT 4WD problems, need help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 XLT 4WD problems, need help!

OK, installed the module. Here are the results:
Radio has power all the time.
Dome lights stay on all the time.
Brake lights are out.
4X4 Low LED on switch stays on.
Can't shift from park even with foot on break.

Guess I have to Call Silver State Ford Parts or Rock Auto and get the correct one.

Gonna put the old one back in. Hopefully I haven't done any real damage. I will post results as soon as I get the old one back in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna go for it. I will post my results. Snowing right now. Can't go anywhere in 2wd. I need it fixed.

Dude, so what happened ??? I feel like the guy on that show with Howie Mandel??? DEAL OR NO DEAL????!!!!

But since I already bought the part for $180, and you got yours for $43, I'm dying to find out if I made a GOOD DEAL or a BAD DEAL !!???

OK, installed the module. Here are the results:
Radio has power all the time.
Dome lights stay on all the time.
Brake lights are out.
Can't shift from park even with foot on break.

Guess I have to Call Silver State Ford Parts or Rock Auto and get the correct one.

Simple question, but did you make sure you plugged in the 2 sets of "connectors" into the right "box(es)"

You made a good deal. I was penny wise and pound foolish. Going back out to garage to replace original. Will post as soon as I'm done.

I plugged then in the same connectors. I will triple check that though. Be right back. Give me about 10 Minutes.

Put old one back in. Everything seems to be back except brake lights are out and I can't shift from park. I suspect that is due to brake lights being out. Going searching for the fuse for the brake lights. The plot thickens................

It was the fuse for the brake switch. Got it replaced. Called Rock Auto they said they don't carry the part. I found the part listed on their site. Called them to make sure I was ordering the correct part. I think she didn't know what she was talking about. I will call Silver State Ford Parts Monday and order the part from them.

Ordered the Module from Silver State via internet. I emailed them and they emailed me the correct part number. I hope this works!

Got the module today and installed it. Pretty much no change. Still no 4WD. Same symptoms as before. The only thing I noticed is now the 4X4 High on the dash flashes 10 times when I start the engine. I checked the Auto/High/Low switch and it is connected. I don't what to do next. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

BIG did you have the X when all this started ? Or did you buy it with out the 4x4 not working? Have you disconnected the bat to reset the PCM for the unit to start fresh and relearn?

BIG did you have the X when all this started ? Or did you buy it with out the 4x4 not working? Have you disconnected the bat to reset the PCM for the unit to start fresh and relearn?

5.0LTR.EDDIE, I recently purchased the ex. I did the reset procedure but not with the new module. Should I do it now since I have installed the new module? Thanks for the help.

BIG!! I would disconnect the batt but unplug the module first then do the batt , plug the module back in after 12 min or so then reconnect the batt, I read that the ground can spike the module then you are back to sqr 1. Also i had the same problem and come to find out someone pulled the 20 amp fuse to disable the 4x4 -AWD drive all togrther to get better gas millage. The fuse is under the hood its a common blade fuse, I replaced mine and boom!! had all my 4whl drive options.

Thanks for the info on reset procedure. I tested every fuse in he truck including under the dash and under the hood. All test ok. I'll try the reset procedure tomorrow and post he results.

BIG!! I would disconnect the batt but unplug the module first then do the batt , plug the module back in after 12 min or so then reconnect the batt, I read that the ground can spike the module then you are back to sqr 1. Also i had the same problem and come to find out someone pulled the 20 amp fuse to disable the 4x4 -AWD drive all togrther to get better gas millage. The fuse is under the hood its a common blade fuse, I replaced mine and boom!! had all my 4whl drive options.

Should I disconnect the POS or the NEG? Thanks.

Either will do the trick, you can disconnect both for the heck of it and make sure the terminals are clean before you reinstall the connectors.

they also say disconnect both and hold the positive to the negative (DISCONECTED)!!!! for a period of 1 minute , I have a friend that is a master tech for ford and says it does a total reset? I have always listen to him and have yet to been led wrong. I hope somthing works for you if not PM me for my # and ill help you as much as i can bro!

they also say disconnect both and hold the positive to the negative (DISCONECTED)!!!! for a period of 1 minute , I have a friend that is a master tech for ford and says it does a total reset? I have always listen to him and have yet to been led wrong. I hope somthing works for you if not PM me for my # and ill help you as much as i can bro!

5.0LTR.EDDIE, Thanks. I'll try the 1 minute master reset and let you know what happens. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll check the connections and the ground on the transfer case motor.

Still not fixed. Running out of time. Snow will be flying before I know it. Gonna look into the shift motor.

Big, been following your posts. Did you get it fixed? I have the same issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Big, been following your posts. Did you get it fixed? I have the same issue.

No, I haven't fixed it yet. I put it on the back burner since the nice weather arrived. The snow will be flying soon so it must be addressed. I have a feeling it is the shift motor. The problem is that I had to move and now I have nowhere to work on my Ex. I don't know what I'm going to do but I know that my Ex goes nowhere in the snow with only rear wheel drive. :dunno:

Back