The ongoing fixer-upper and mod project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The ongoing fixer-upper and mod project

ShadyGrady

Reaction score
City, State
AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
Hi folks...ShadyGrady
I got a FORD EXPLORER SPORT (they deserve all caps!).
Mine has lived through the heaviest lead foot, and most experiments I can think of. I was piggy backing on folks post, putting in my 2 cents...most didn't mind to much...but I am sure they had there own stuff in mind and my toe stepping is wrong. Those good folk have my apologies! Here is my spot. I am going to add my stuff...and welcome all comments good or bad.

My truck and I were going to be all kinds of stupid...we calmed down and are taking the: going to make it live forever route! I am getting 20 city, and almost 30 highway (Manual tranny...MPG is about how you drive as much as it is what you have done to your vehicle...took me years to figure that one out...LOL!!)

Here is what I have done so far:
1) Fuel injectors from: lucky7autoinjectors...an E-Bay store...$114.00 for a set(including s/h).

2) Air box mod from Ford40.com. I got my piping from Lowe's. I closed off all the pre-heater tubing ports, and original intake opening (used plastic from inside box and heat melted it to the openings, a lil sanding, and a very lil bit of epoxy to complete it. It looks as if there was never an opening there) to effect as much cooler air as possible. $9.00

4) Dry charge air filter from AFE...it is washable, use NO OIL, flows better than K&N as far as some stats show... I like mine over K & N...to me the flow is about the same but I do not buy the filter-charger kit, I use dish detergent and water, rinse the same way as for k & N, and a lil time to air dry.$40.00

5) Some of the tech folk will like this one...I have built and installed an complete PC and screen on the cheap.
a) D201GLY2A Intel Motherboard and CPU ITX board combo $70.00
b) 1gb of Ram DDR2 667 speed Centon Brand Ram from Wal-Mart $30.00
c) 7" LCD VGA Screen (It had TV...but I removed that feature cuz it was analog it has RCA in also but I wanted the VGA for best PC resolutions) From DealExtreme.com for $70.00
d) External DVD Burner. I converted from a laptop drive as a DIY kit $40 for drive Newegg.com, and the external housing from MobileComputingSolutions.com for $14.00 Total plus s/h was $56.50.(I give this price but I did not buy a burner...I salvaged one from an old laptop given to me from a good friend who fried it and some stuff in it was still good)
e) 160 GB EIDE Western Digital caviar Blue laptop hard drive and a converter to 3.5 pin standard drive cable adapter and single drive round cable. from Newegg.com about $65.00.
f) 160 watt 12 volt to PC power (WIDE RANGE 6 to 26 volt input) supply with battery sensing from e-bay for $40.00. (keeps me from fooling with Power bricks and converters and inverters and such...plus it provides a clean power signal for the PC.
g) Microsoft streets and strips with voice and USB / GPS Receiver from amazon.com for $14 bucks.
h) D-Link USB WIFI G Dongle...$20 I don't remember cuz I have had this for a few years. (Works great in the parking lot of malls and McDonalds and such...also at home for when I need updates or other stuff)
I) Blue Tooth Dongle with 100 meter range. From Deal Extreme $3.00.
j) Aluminum plate to mount the MOBO on...scrounged it. Free
k) Other software was from source-forge.net, C-Net.com and open org. and such.
L) Small sized mouse and keyboard(laptop size)...and touch screen panel for DIY touch screen monitor all from Deal Extreme.com. Touch panel was $37.00, keyboard and mouse was $25.00
m) 4 port 5 volt powerd USB hub. $12.00 from New Egg.com
n) The needed wiring harness to PC, and 4 port Hub, adapters, connectors, solder, plugs, and wiring I had on hand so I estimate the cost to 20.00. estimated labor time of 40 hours to learn and plan, then build and install. *note: I have strong knowledge of electronics, PC building, software installation, drivers firmware, and such. (PLZ research this completely so as to prevent un-needed electrical hazards)
o) I put my install so I can remove the screen at will, and all plug ins are usb for the same reason...this is not a BLING truck...I am the spartan type. I want function / utility, neat / clean.
p) Grand total for this project $462.00 over a 2 year time span. Not a lot of money over time. The Motherboard is where the Glove box was, and most wiring is hidden. DVD is on dash when I need it to be, same with all else...mouse is on center console. GPS and Wireless G is on dash...I get great reception for both. EZ and cheap if I had to do it again...and there are many how to's on the net. Pics to follow soon.

**I know of many alternatives...but this is something I wanted. A net book and stand and some of the same accessories can be had for $450.00 to 500.00 (this might be best bet for some folk)**

This car PC has voice turn by turn nav, 60GB of music mp3's, and the ability to copy a DVD (that you purchased) movie in 30 mins or less, answer my cell phone, hook to internet from my cell through blue tooth get in internet fron hot spots with the the WIFI Wireless G, and everything you want you home PC to do with. I have not installed a printer yet...but it is in the works. I am a mobile Joe type guy. This is connected to my old Pioneer 40watt a channel head unit through the CD controller port for a direct digital hook up...it sounds great!! Movies sound like I got a surround sound stereo in the truck (I do have a sub installed)

6) I an trying to achieve am OEM basic truck then I may go back to the crazy ideas but not before. Get it solid and running good first...then giver it the hot tune job and stuff.
Thanks for looking!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:ttiwwp::banghead:

Show us some pics of this craziness!!!!!

Thanks for the look and comment!! I like your pics!! You got life by the tail and going for a good ride it looks like!! Keep at it...I think you will have a fine sled and a better EXPLORER soon...you look like you bend the wrench just fine there pal!! I will get some pics on here real soon!! I will, I will!!

Today I got the stereo to PC interface completed...I was using a cassette adapter for the sound hook up from PC to stereo...but I found an adapter on Amazon for 7 bucks. It was cheaper than the attempt to build would have cost me if you figure in the trial and error factor (I was not looking to try a probe on those AUX INPUT pins without a manual of some sort...I have been looking for one, but had not found a FREE one yet so I opted for this solution), time, materials, and the proper pin out schematic made this solution the best bang for the buck. I am looking to learn, and also sharpen my skills on making the best decision for the problem vs. task at hand. I love to make my own stuff. To me that is the most fun part of car crafting. I just couldn't beat the price / cost to build my own this time. and my stereo system is absolutely CHEAP/SMART/LUCK. I got a 500 watt amp, 40 watt per 4 channel stereo, 10" sub and rear sub housing that fits the EXPLORER nicely for $70 bucks! I had zero for stereo and I gave it a shot to see if I could fix it. I also had a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) on me at the time so I tested it all...and it all checked out as far as the speaker and amp all had ohms where it needed ohms...I didn't know what values I needed to call anything good or bad...but most speakers just need a lil coil resistance to show a reading. The buddy that sold it to me said the sub was bad, and maybe the amp too...I found the inner speaker wire needed soldering cuz the vibrations from the sub knocked them off internally(at the housing connection)...the amp worked fine...I have been enjoying nice bass ever since. I call it luck cuz it could have been bad...and i would have e-bayed the sub case and stereo to reclaim my bucks. that is it...nice sound...and happy about it!
Thanks to Explorer Forum for the B-Day wishes!!

HEY! Happy B-day Shady!

Seriously... I need to see some pics!!!!!!!!!!!

TheGoveBoxhasgottogo.jpg

This is just sitting in the glove box space, it will be secured soon. More picks to follow!

DayShot.jpg

This is a good dash shot, and also a shot of my truck as the desk top picture.
Software line up:
Microsoft streets and trips w/GPS
Adobe 9
DFab 6 (plz go look it up)
Nero 7
FLV Player (for FLV Video files)
Microsoft Security Essentials (anti-virus, firewall is Windows XP Pro SP3 OEM one)
Real Player Gold
60GB of MP3's

This will play any Block Buster movie.
It will play any Music CD
It will also do any task that a regular desktop will do(a tad slow for some stuff)
This will copy and burn back (legal operations) any CD/DVD content.

I will add a printer soon as I find one small enough, and incorporate Mitchel On Demand...then I got a nice mobile Vehicle repair truck with most of the stuff found at the office.

I can still play solitaire when I am bored enough! ;-}

This is where the NAV and WiFi are placed.

0302001612b.jpg

The 4 port USB hub for connecting other stuff...like the Blue-tooth (gives me the choice of connecting to the internet via my phone, or sending the pc pics or music from phone with-out wires...via blue-tooth), the keyboard, and the Verizon Air Card (when I can't find a WIFI hot spot.)

0302001612a.jpg

0302001611b.jpg

Is That a MOUSE??? Yikes!!

0302001611a.jpg

See it don't look so bad from a distance!
Time for a more powerful alternator...Digital source makes for some nice LOUD music...and it helps my budget stereo ROCK!! My stuff sounds like it has way more money into it that it does...my whole stereo setup was $70 bucks! That includes the sub and amp...it is not bad for the cost...and also...while I do believe in large wire for the sub...it ain't MONSTER CABLE! Try "triple braided 12 gauge wire for the + and the same for the -" cables from amp to sub(braided is supposed to help certain frequency...so why not give it a shot? You want a place to see just what I am talking about?

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-Braided-Speaker-Cables/

I can't hear good enough for Monster to show me anything.
I been doing heavy Equipment for 20 years...the ears just don't register all they should anymore.

Make your own choice, research, and just do it yourself! I love doing myself...all the better when my stuff is just as good quality or better but on the cheap!! I love to experiment.
The next task is a cheap sub for Dyna-mat...stay tuned...I got IDEAS...LOL!!

HOORAY FOR PICS!!!I thought I would never see them! Thats a *****in set up you have there! I myself have a pretty intense computer in my rig!

picture.php

Don't hate, you know your jealous!:D:D:D

A word about safety, I DO NOT watch Video's while driving, Nor do I attempt to set up the NAV or anything else while driving...WHY? CUZ I want to LIVE!! I want my family to LIVE! I DO NOT WANT TO KILL someone I share the road with. All equally important to me!! I also just want to say this in a semi-shocking way just to bring up the most important thing about this set-up! Fun if you USE IT RIGHT!! Think of all that you VALUE FIRST!! Don't take the risk, live to enjoy life...and post YOUR comments...respectfully...Good or Bad about whatever on this forum!!
I hope to NOT offend anyone with these comments...just highlight the potential hazard...one that is ever present with all the OEM installed NAV/Entertainment devices these days...you should be able to do all you want...but some knuckle-head will ruin it all for us (a law in my area was just passed about text-messaging while driving -- soon they will have me removing all my wonderful toys too!)...let's set the example...let's all do it right!

ARRIVE ALIVE -- BRING THEM HOME ALIVE!! DRIVE SAFE AND SMART!!
I KNOW YOU ALL WHO READ THIS -- DO EXACTLY THAT -- so consider this as just an echo!!

Thanks!!

I just figured out how to do the pic posting...had to remember the photo bucket!! but I heard ya!!
I just got to have me one of them computer you got there!! NICE...where did you get it?!!! LOL!!

I will holla later...doing the radius and swing arm bushings...time to rip it apart!! I will try to do it so I can do a drive-way alignment. LOL! Wish me luck!

Good luck Shady! If you didn't already finish it!

nope, never even got to start it, I had duty as we call it. I will this weekend though. Thanks for the shout out. looks like you could use a lil help with the wheelchair lift kit? take the time to heal...you will be way better off.
Later

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just cleaned the Mass Airflow sensor with electrical parts cleaner, and low pressure shop air. I am running great...more power, and improved throttle response. I did lube my "O" ring with a lil silicone grease. less RPM needed to cruise. I like the result very much. great freeway driving also.

Back