• Register Today It's free!

Front mounted hitch receiver.

DiBo

Reaction score
City, State
Millet, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4x4
does anyone have a picture of where the reciever would be located on the front of the explorer? and also wondering if anyone knows of a reciever that mounts on the rear of some vehicle that would be suitable for the front? If anyone is interested, post pics of how you use it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to my Before and After page in my signature. I had one on my Explorer, took it off when I lifted it. Still have it sitting in storage, may have a use for it in the near future (winch mount).

The hitch you want for the front is a Draw-Tite #65032

any way to mount it so the receiver is higher up? maybe in the hole in the bottom of the bumper? Just dont want to loose ground clearance. or even cut a hole out of the lower bumper.

That particular system bolts to the front of the frame, so there's really no way to modify it to sit up higher, unless of course you lift the truck.

You can see how low it sat from the side of my truck when it was at stock height. I removed it because it wasn't functional for me. The previous owner of my SUV used it as a tow hitch because he towed the SUV behind his RV. It really is quite versatile, since it is a 2" sqaure hitch, you could put anything up front that you would normally put in the rear...spare tire rack, rod holders, ice chest mount, winch, etc.

Go to my Before and After page in my signature. I had one on my Explorer, took it off when I lifted it. Still have it sitting in storage, may have a use for it in the near future (winch mount).

The hitch you want for the front is a Draw-Tite #65032

Have it on the front of mine right now. Use it to hold a cooler rack for surf fishing. Ground clearance is never an issue. Rack is raised. Have an '04 Explorer. Holes were already drilled in the frame to accommodate the hitch. I'll see if I can locate some pics.

Have it on the front of mine right now. Use it to hold a cooler rack for surf fishing. Ground clearance is never an issue. Rack is raised. Have an '04 Explorer. Holes were already drilled in the frame to accommodate the hitch. I'll see if I can locate some pics.

When my truck was at stock height, I used to drive it out on the beach in North Carolina (Carolina Beach), and would come home with the receiver full of sand! When I put the body lift on the truck, the receiver needed to come off because there would have been a 3" gap between it and the bumper, and since I wasn't using the receiver anyway...it didn't serve a function.

But there really are lots of uses for it. I'm about to add a bull bar on the front of my truck, and would still like to integrate the mount on the front to hold a winch, assuming the two will work with each other of course.

Potroast,

No need to post pics. Your before and after clearly show the receiver--same as mine. Love the way your truck looks now. How's the ride?

I thought you were gonna sell your front hitch receiver Justin?

I thought you were gonna sell your front hitch receiver Justin?

Well it's for sale, but it's sitting in storage across the state right now, so don't really have access to it until I head back to storage. I know that you were interested in it, we never really met up mainly due to my part...between moving, going out of town on business and just general life...it just never really happened.

Bottom line, I still have it, it's still on storage, and I may not be able to use it anyway since I'm putting a bull bar on the front of mine shortly with some PIAA lights on it. I was thinking of using it as a winch mount, but the bull bar may interfere with that.

I see that you're planning to come to the Explorer meet in July to Uwharrie National Forest...hope to meet you there!

Just let me know.
I'm seeing what i have going on that week, probably nothing. Are you bringing a tent or a camper?

Talking about front mounted hitch receivers, anyone know if there is plug/wiring harness somewhere in the front? Carry a cooler rack for fishing and would like to be able to add some fog lights to the front of the cooler rack for beach driving at night.

Talking about front mounted hitch receivers, anyone know if there is plug/wiring harness somewhere in the front? Carry a cooler rack for fishing and would like to be able to add some fog lights to the front of the cooler rack for beach driving at night.

You'd have to rig your own wiring for the front, just as you would for any aux lighting you would add. There are no plugs in the front.

Which campground are you gonna be at?

Which campground are you gonna be at?

I ended up getting site #012 from July 2-5, a bunch of the other guys are over in the 40's area...near the bathhouse. I chose #012 because it has a pull-through loop road instead of off the main road, and the trail access road runs right behind it so I can get right to it from my spot. But mostly, because it's off the main rain and has a pull-through loop, which also makes backing in the RV easier ;)

any way to mount it so the receiver is higher up? maybe in the hole in the bottom of the bumper? Just dont want to loose ground clearance. or even cut a hole out of the lower bumper.

I know mine isn't an 02-05, but I imagine they're nearly the same. You can scour Craigslist for a random whatever Class hitch you need, and just have a buddy with a plasma/welder make it work how you want it.

The one I used was some random universal hitch. We basically flipped it upside down and notched the edges.

DSC00425.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

ok. are you gonna be in arrowhead?

now that is more of what i am looking for, proly be whai i will do, planning some modes on the X in the next few weeks, so expect some pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It took some hard tugs this weekend!!! Like running YANKS to get me off this damn log I slipped the rear axle over. Still holdin' strong. ;)

Back