Rear Wiper Motor Replacement

TheJackal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mandeville, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XL 2WD
OK, I probably should've taken the advice of whoever posted that the Cardone reman rear wiper motors weren't any good, because they aren't. :)

After much arguing with the guy at Advance Auto, who was trying to swap that one with another visibly broken reman motor, I ordered a new Dorman motor. Of course, that one wouldn't be in until tomorrow, and I already gave him the old one, so I had to come up with something to keep crap out... :D

RearWiper1.jpg

Yes, that is a prescription pill bottle. :p:

While I was at it, I took some pictures of the removal process. It's really simple, I've done this 3 times already, but I know people are still curious as to how the magic is done so I'll tell it. ;)

RearWiper2.jpg

First, you gotta take that little cap off of the trim panel. The big one over the latch can stay, but there's a screw behind the little one that has to be removed.

RearWiper3.jpg

And, there it is. You can pry the cap off with your hands, it's easy.

RearWiper4.jpg

You have to take the 2 screws out from behind the strap, then work it out of the hole. It has a hook on the back that's holding it in, like this:
RearWiper5.jpg

There's 4 snap-in tabs at the top and one on each side of the glass opening. To remove them you need to get your hands behind there. You can use a panel tool but I don't have one, I just got one hand on each side and pulled it.
RearWiper7.jpg

One thing to note for when putting this back, is that there are notches on both sides for the rear defroster cables. Also, if you seem to be hung up on something when trying to snap the left side back in, make sure the alignment peg is in the hole.

Now, the only way you'll get that panel off is if you do this:
RearWiper6.jpg

I don't know why but I always find that part funny.

You now slide the trim panel towards the front of the Explorer (with the gate open of course). It comes off pretty easy. I usually lay it down inside the cargo area, it fits if you put it in diagonally, and then it'll lay down just fine. If you've got a lot of stuff in there tho, you might need to find another safe place to put it in the meantime.

You can close the gate now (carefully, remembering the glass is open) and work on it from outside.

Carefully peel back the liner so you can see the inner workings.
RearWiper8.jpg

Yes, that is paper. It's holding the prescription pill bottle in. :D The metal bracket you see needs to be removed. It's held in place by 3 8mm bolts and removes easily. However, you probably have a motor installed there, so you first need to remove the 10mm bolt holding the wiper arm to it, then tug the washer line to remove that. (Note the line attaches to a nipple, which is visible in the first pic) Also, disconnect the wiring harness.

RearWiper9.jpg

This is the bracket that holds the rear wiper motor on. 2 bolts hold the wiper motor onto that bracket, and there is a plastic clip that holds the motor's end of the wiring harness to the bracket. A new Motorcraft motor comes with the bracket, the reman and Dorman ones do not. The Dorman motor does come with a new plastic clip for the wiring harness, but the reman one didn't. You should be able to use the one that's there, all you need is a slotted screwdriver to pry it back a little and slide it through. The connector for the new motor will slide and snap in.

New Dorman motor:
RearWiper10.jpg

New Motor installed (note orientation of motor):
RearWiper11.jpg

Once installed, you need to connect and run the motor first. This not only tests it to make sure it's working, but when you run it and turn it off this makes sure that the motor is in the "park" position, so when you attach the wiper arm, it's in the right place. You must make sure tho that the liftgate and glass is closed or it won't run.

If everything's working properly you can begin to reverse the panel-removing process.

RearWiper12.jpg

Bonus points if you can spot the irony in that picture.
One thing I do notice is that the wiper seems to wipe too far to the driver's side. The old one did this too. I don't see anything on alldata nor did the motor come with any kind of instructions, so I don't know what the deal is with that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup:beautiful pictures! Good write-up!!

Can I ask how much you paid for the new motor?

I'm with ya'... Don't waste your money on the A-1 Cardone rebuilt ones... I'm on my 7th (or is it 8th??) in 4 years. The one that's in there is acting up again... It'll be coming out in the next few weeks. I have done the job so many times, I even remember the socket sizes!! It's a 20 minute job at worst the first time, and a 10-minute job if you ever need to do it again. I do it in the parts store's parking lot.

I had planned to do a how-to, but you beat me to it! Nice job!

p.s. this needs to be a sticky!!

-Joe

Can I ask how much you paid for the new motor?

I see that Rock Auto (rockauto.com) has them for $57 + ship. Tempting. The Cardone I scored a year or so ago is starting to skip a beat. Only a matter of time before it dies. :(

yea nice write up!! I might do this one soon. I still have the original motor! It works fine untill i open and close the tailgate then i have to turn on the power and go around back and pull the wiper arm away from the window and move it side to side and then it works fine again untill i open the tailgate:rolleyes:!!

yea nice write up!! I might do this one soon. I still have the original motor! It works fine untill i open and close the tailgate then i have to turn on the power and go around back and pull the wiper arm away from the window and move it side to side and then it works fine again untill i open the tailgate:rolleyes:!!

Only a matter of time before all that voodoo magic won't work anymore. Been there, done that. :D

The Cardone motor was $40, the Dorman motor is $60. It is Dorman part # 601-207. I bought both of those from Advance Auto.

A new Motorcraft motor is $120 (F87Z-17508-AD or XL24-17404-AC), a bit pricey but probably the best option. I'm still not exactly sure why the wiper is going too far on one side, though I'm thinking it might have something to do with the wiper arm. The new Motorcraft motor also comes already installed on the metal bracket, and might be necessary if the bushings on that bracket are worn out.

A new Motorcraft motor is $120 (F87Z-17508-AD or XL24-17404-AC), a bit pricey but probably the best option.

If I'm not mistaken, Motorcraft motors are Cardone as well. I seem to recall reading that somewhere. That would explain a lot. I've now owned three 2nd generation Explorers. One was factory ordered and other two with very low miles. ALL had bad rear wiper motors in them.

How do compare the quality and worksmanship between the Dorman and Cardone motors?

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for the pictures. It was the first time I pulled a panel off my car and I was fairly hesitant. The pictures made me a lot more comfortable knowing what to expect.

The only thing different for my 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer was that I did not have single screw that is shown in the third picture. Everything else was exactly the same.

Between replacing the motor and replacing the wiper arm (original arm did not reach all the glass), I finally have a fully functioning rear window wiper. Many thanks!

Rear wiper motor headache

FYI to all, I live in MI and the Oreilly/Murray's auto parts store sells a brand by a company named Valero. Total garbage as it was yanking it back out within six weeks of install.

Anyone know where I can find this Dorman brand of motor? Real sick of doing this job more frequently than changing my oil!

Update: Valero is actually what you are buying when you buy a "Cardone" motor. You'll see the insignia on the motor.

And since Murray's also carries the motorcraft brand as well, I'm believing that poster when they said that they think that Cardone makes their as well.

Heading off to Advance Auto to buy what hopefully will be the last encounter I have to have with this motor

Don't buy the Dorman motor I had to change it after a year. Get a Motorcraft motor. It's normally $120 but I found one online for $40.

IIRC "Valero" makes the Motorcraft motors, but they will be on the Cardone ones too as those are remanufactured Motorcraft ones. Those don't hold up either.

Somewhere around here is the follow-up thread to this (probably should've just added those pics to this one) showing the Dorman motor uses a plastic gear and crappy grease that gobs up around the sides. Plus, the Dorman one went too far toward the driver's side.

here's what I found when i opened that Dorman motor. It's not so great.

motor-inside2.jpg

That picture says a lot. When I pulled out one of the "bad" ones in the past, it isn't that the motor fails. The wires powering the motor come out of the a hole where all of the grease is. They never put a grommet on the hole and over time and use that grease seeps out and begins to coat the electrical contacts.

If they simply put a grommet to run the wires through,that would hold the grease in the part of the motor where it is suppose to be and not seep out onto the electrical contacts breaking the connection requiring replacement.

I proved this by disassembling one of my old ones, cleaning with contact cleaner and reinstalling and VOILA back in business for three months.

Absurd.

thx for the heads up on dorman, I order the wholesale closeout motorcraft through RockAuto for $50.00.

This car is going in less than 90 days so I hope it holds on until I sell it.

FYI to all, I live in MI and the Oreilly/Murray's auto parts store sells a brand by a company named Valero. Total garbage as it was yanking it back out within six weeks of install.

Anyone know where I can find this Dorman brand of motor? Real sick of doing this job more frequently than changing my oil!

Heading off to Advance Auto to buy what hopefully will be the last encounter I have to have with this motor

Advance sells the Dorman. I 'upgraded' mine to a Dorman about 18 months ago. (It was motor #11, I think). It lasted until late last fall. I finally got around to replacing it (again) last month with another Dorman. The motor on the first Dorman had somehow siezed up solid.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I got home, installed the new one, it made three passes, and stopped. When I popped the cover off the contacts, I discovered that three of the four contacts were so poorly installed that one of the two necessary to signal the end of its travel wasn't even making contact with the plate on the worm gear. So, I tweaked the contacts with a pair of needle nose pliers, reassembled, and it's up and running again. (we'll see how long this one lasts... But I'm not holding my breath!!)

at long last

Well, found a 30 day closeout motorcraft for 31.00 at RockAuto. Tjhe old arm was rusty so I bought one of those too and it is working beautifully. Just got preapproved for a car loan so I am going shopping for an 07-08 mountaineer premier.

Hope it lasts all the way throught the sale to the new owner.

I'd like to thank TheJackal for his detailed instructions and awesome pictures on how to replace the rear wiper motor in the 1999 Explorer. You saved me a ton of time and frustration. Well presented sir :)

Edit: I also found that the wiper blade did not make a 100% clean sweep of the window (not enough pressure on the glass) so I removed about 1/8inch to 1/4inch of the two fingers that are inside the hinged arm allowing the arm to seat tighter to the glass when sweeping. I used a Dremal type tool with a diamond blade cutoff.

Back