DANA 35 Truetrac | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DANA 35 Truetrac

r37 let us know what you find out on the machine shop. The machining will be difficult due to the gear material

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had Reider Racing a few years ago tell me that they had converted at least one of the Torsen diff's to work. I had mentioned this before Reider Racing went away. I liked those people, they were very good.

Sorry for the very late response, here are the results:

I picked one of these up from riderracing.com. I thought if it did not work I could either machine it and make it work or pawn it of on my friend that has a dana 35 in his WJ.

Anyways, here we go:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I was told that this was a rear limited slip that alot of the TTB explorers have used in there explorers. riderracing.com tol me that they usually just rotate the gears from either side to get it work in the correct direction. Unfortuately, I found that

NO TRUETRACK WILL WORK IN THE FRONT OF AN IFS SLA DANA 35 AXLE

Here are some more pics:

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

The last pic has both carriers. You can tell they are not the same size. I have come to the conclusion that the IFS Dana 35 is a hybrid of a dana 35 ring gear and a dana 30 carrier.

Here are some other limited slips that may should work the front of the dana 35 IFS differential (personaly have not tried any of them, currently have aussie locker front and rear):

Detroit Locker
picture.php
picture.php

Powertrax
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

CMAX

I knew it was too good to be true. Oh well, guess I will have to get a center axle disconnect and a manual transfer case and run a lunchbox locker up front...

I knew it was too good to be true. Oh well, guess I will have to get a center axle disconnect and a manual transfer case and run a lunchbox locker up front...

I am currently running the aussie locker up front. It makes for challenging winter driving and for offroading the transfer case is usually switched on and off for tight turns. It is ok, I just wish there were an affordable limited slip. The powertrax is like $650 and the detroit locker is $550.00, where the aussie $250, shipped. This gives you the other $200-450 to spend on the center disconnect differential and t-case. But why is the manual t-case needed??

CMAX

Well, its not really needed, but I was planning on swapping a manual t-case into my truck anyways. I really hate the electronic shift. Too much to go wrong on that. With a manual I know if its in 4HI or 4LO. No more turning the switch and listening to the relays clicking and wondering if I'm going to have 4LO today or not...

I have the Powertrax No-Slip in the rear, and I love it. I really wanted a LS for the front though, as this is my DD.

How will the new Torsen front diff work in front for off roading etc? Is it the right level of locker for that as well as street use?

Its basically the same design as the True-Trac, or the True-Trac is the same design as the Torsen. Helical gear type LS. I think it would work just as good. Thats what comes in the rear of FX4 level II or III Rangers I believe. IDK where I would get a Torsen though, I thought the company that was selling them went out of business.

There is a current thread on hear now about one installed in an Explorer. They finally came out with it.

yeah, r37ribution? I just found that thread a couple hours ago. :D

I have come to the conclusion that the IFS Dana 35 is a hybrid of a dana 35 ring gear and a dana 30 carrier.

Is the distance between the bearings the same?
Do they use the same bearings?
Will the Dana 35 IFS axles fir the Dana 30 carrier?
Will the Dana 30 carrier fit in the Dana 35 IFS housing?

I'm very interested in this.

Is the distance between the bearings the same?

From what I recall the truetrac is much longer than the stock carrier. I was orginally going to have a local machine shop measure the stock carrier and modify/match the truetrac to it. An expensive modification, I would suggest a torsen, just call them up.

Do they use the same bearings?

Yes, the stock dana 30 carrier bearings will fit on the truetrac. I did not install them but the bearing cone and cup numbers were the same on my X and my buddies WJ (rear dana 30).

Will the Dana 35 IFS axles fir the Dana 30 carrier?

Yes, they are 1.16" / 27 spline CV Half Shafts.

Will the Dana 30 carrier fit in the Dana 35 IFS housing?

Not sure. I think you need to match the stock carrier outer diameter. After matching carrier width. I think some machining of the outer diamter of the carrier and the ring gear plate. Next time I am in my differential I will measure everything up.

CMAX

Thanks. I'm wondering if a Dana 30 carrier (3.55ish & down) could be fitted with an adapter to run a Dana 35 ring (3.55ish & higher) in a Dana 35 IFS housing. It would completely opn up the options available for the Dana 35 IFS.

Back