• Register Today It's free!

Slow Coolant Loss

dmc80

Reaction score
City, State
chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt ohv
I've read for hours and still cant figure it out. I have 99 v6 ohv and i'm loosing coolant. No leaking. I have checked around the heater control valve, temp sender, took off the bottom radiator shroud, I have looked everywhere to find no signs of loss. I have not done a compression test yet but it doesnt miss or foul plugs. Is it possible that the lower intake gasket is leaking? Or (hopefully not) the head gasket. I have put three thermostats in in the last few years. My oil is not milky or out of normal fill range. But the inside of my radiator looks terrible. Any help would be great. I dont have a problem changing out the intake gaskets because i already did the uppers but the heads scare the crap out of me.

its most likely the head gaskets with it being a OHV.. its a very common problem and if the coolant loss is slow and is leaking into the combustion chamber, it won't show up in the oil.. Also if the leak is slow enough it probably only leaks once the engine is heated up which would mean a good compression test reading.. :(

Would a slower leak mean a lesser chance of head damage? and do the exhaust manifolds need to come out because with the miles (160,000), i would think they'd be a pain to get off. My chiltons manual will be here by tues so i'll have a better idea of what needs to happen.

If the head gasket is indeed leaking it probably means that your heads are warped and need to be machined to check for trueness.. And I have heard of being able to take the heads off with the manifolds still attached to the heads but to machine them they will have to come off, but they are easier to remove once the heads are off.

Back