96 Lower Ball Joint replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Lower Ball Joint replacement?

PDA3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I need to replace the lower ball joint on my 96 XLT, passenger side.

Anyone got a "how to do it" description?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That guy's talkin' about a Mountaineer isn't he? Is it the same configuration as a Explorer XLT?

mountaineer is the same underneath as an Explorer,

exactly the same, i used that writeup to do mine.

If yours is 2WD, it's even easier.

good luck!

I hope you fellas are right....the stupid Haynes manual says that on a 96 the entire control arm must be removed and replaced as the lower ball joint isn't replaceable.

i changed the ball joints on my 96 myself,

Do you have to use that ball joint press the sticky mentions or can you just beat it out?

Do you have to use that ball joint press the sticky mentions or can you just beat it out?

I beat mine out with a ball-peen hammer. It was replaced a few years before so it wasn't too difficult. (lesson: don't go cheap or you will do it again)
But, you are going to need a press to put it back in, unless you use the jack trick, but since you can go to Autozone and use one for free...why bother?
Now remember what I said about not going cheap here? DO NOT get the balljoint from Autozone. Get a Moog balljoint. Then, drive over to Autozone, buy another "cheap" one. You will have to give Autozone (i think its) $100 deposit that will be refunded when you return the press. When you finish the job, be apologetic and return the "cheap" balljoint and the press for your money.

Back