How to change your 05 Explorer V6's Spark Plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to change your 05 Explorer V6's Spark Plugs

High_Order1

Reaction score
City, State
near Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jack Bauer Edition
How to change the spark plugs on an 05 V6

Tools / stuff:
  • 6 plugs
  • You might want some anti-seize (read the guide)
  • A 5/8“ ‘plug’ deep-well socket
  • A short extension
  • A ½” socket drive wrench
  • Doodad to measure the ‘gap’ of the plug
  • Needlenose pliers
  • Something stable to stand on
  • Good light
  • Flat space that isn’t part of your car to stage things
  • Spare working vehicle
  • Plenty of daylight left, or a garage
  • handcleaner
  • Time: maybe an hour barring any problems
  • Effort: Some
  • Complexity: Moderate

Why?
Most people that are regulars on a site like this know how to do this. I am writing this guide to help people who are new to cars, or want to learn more, and are looking for a jumping off point. (Hey, I came here looking for an answer, others are googling here, too.) If you know what’s special about a plug socket, this is just going to bore you. Sorry.

Anyway, why? Spark plugs are mission critical parts of your vehicle. They are consumable products, and when they reach the end of their life, your cars’ performance and mileage will suffer. It might even start idling funny. You can keep paying someone to do this job, but honestly, you could probably do this yourself, and impress your pets and neighbors. Then, send explorerforum part of what you just saved – running this site ain’t cheap, pal!

What do they do?
Spark Plugs are devices that deflagrate the fuel charge in the piston chamber. This explosion drives the piston away from the explosion, and doing so pushes a crank, spinning it. They are precision items, designed to handle stupid amounts of heat, pressure and voltage.

How’d you do it, Shawn??
Glad you asked!! (Or else, this is a waste, huh?) First, go get your stuff. Buy your parts. Get your vehicle somewhere where you can work. Think ahead. If you mess something up, is the car going to block something until you get it straight? You gonna bake in the sun? Is it supposed to rain? Worse, did you start too late, and now it’s dark, and you can’t see crap? Is tomorrow a work / school day? You got a backup plan? (EVERY bit of this has happened to me at least twice. Learn from me)

That spare car – most projects require one extra trip to the parts store. Sucks to do it on foot. The flat spot? Everyone tries to lay tools and parts inside the engine compartment. Even surgeons do it occasionally. That’s why there are people walking around with sponges and retractors inside them. If you get yourself a table, or cart, or big box or ANYthing, you can lay everything out, all neat like. You won’t have to go hunt for stuff. Worse, you won’t have to dig through gravel or grass looking for a nut or a socket. And, you won’t drive off with a screwdriver or a socket ready to drop out of that gap between the radiator and front support and bust a hole in something.

Plugs? What to get??
Dude, there are some serious arguments over this. All I can tell you is go do some research. Me personally, I have a plain vanilla car. I have determined I don’t need a sapphire coated, octo-split tetrode aerospace – grade 6 dollar a plug plug. I just buy a brand name resistor plug, and replace them on a regular schedule. (shrugs shoulders).

Factory spec plugs – pn’s are AGSF22PM for the LH bank, and AGSF22PGM for the RH bank. (I vaguely remember there is a heat difference between the two sides, that was their vague justification, anyway.)

When you get your plugs, act like you know what you want, because if not, you might get those nine dollar plugs ‘because that’s what the factory/some NASCAR dude/professionals use’. I make them spin that monitor around, and I see what the price range is, personally.

See if you can con them into gapping your plugs for you. Don’t buy for a second that they come from the factory preset. Make them, at least, write the correct gap on the box. Different plugs may need different gaps.
If they didn’t gap them for you, you’ll need a gap tool. There are two major kinds. One looks like a half dollar. One looks like a multi-bladed knife. Splurge and get that knife-y one, it has other uses. If they need a name, you want the least expensive feeler gauge. I don’t think those round ones are very accurate, but that’s my opinion. And, you can’t use the coin ones to adjust other things.

So, now, pick the correct feeler (you may have to stack a couple. Simple math: .006 + .003 +.010 = .019) GENTLY slide this into the space between the thing that looks like a staple, and the center rod shaped thing. Look at the picture=

onehandedfeeler.jpg

(PS - I shot with one hand, leaving exactly one hand to hold the rest. You should probably use one hand for the plug, and another for the gauge, but that's your business).

If you pussed out and got the coin, here’s what that looks like: ( I couldn’t find mine. Solly!)

RESIST the urge to use the feelers or the coin to make that gap wider if it needs it. You will possibly mush a groove into the tool, and it won’t measure right ever again. At the very least, its’ not good practice, and you are at the beginning of your workerman career, don’t start off with bad habits. Some tools have a doololly that clamps onto the electrode arm to bend it. I tend to use the U shaped handle of the feeler gauge. Go EASY. You can bend that piece way, way too much very easily. If it’s too wide, resist the urge to leave the measuring tool in, and beat it against a rock. You can break that center insulator, and ruin the plug. Pieces could come out in the piston chamber. YES, gap does make a real difference, and being off even a little bit does make a difference. Take your time.

Gap all six plugs. (factory spec plugs need .061 - .068 {1.57 – 1.73mm}) If you bought those Klingon technology plugs, follow their manufacturers’ guidance.

Now, I coat the plug threads with antiseize. I have heard the arguments for both ways. All I can tell you, is research it yourself. Know this: you are stuffing a metal bolt into an aluminum nut. Then, you’ll heat it up several hundred degrees and cool it off a thousand times. The downside is that maybe the plug backs out. (shrugs) up to you, pup.

All right. Now it’s time to swap. TAKE ONLY ONE OUT AT A TIME. Let me say that again: DEAL WITH ONE WIRE AND ONE PLUG AT A TIME. If you bought replacement wires too (not a bad idea), FIRST YOU DO THE PLUGS, THEN YOU DO THE WIRES. Or not. When it sounds like a washer machine when you start it, remember that I told you not to do it.

Use your stable platform to get up to where you can get to that plug. Doesn’t really matter which one you start with. (Just in from completing this job again, I highly suggest starting with the drivers’ side first. They are easy to see, and help you to ramp up your skillset. The frontmost one on the passenger side, you’ll have to do almost entirely by touch).

Drivers' Side locations:

plug-bank-driver.jpg

Passenger Side locations:

plug-bankpass.jpg

What kinda shirt, pants, belt you got on there, boy? Are you fixin’ to put a good skeeerrrachh on that paint job? Worse, see that black box with the two huge cables coming off of it? Big angry electrons live in there. If you got a big bracelet, nice necklace, or (ow) touch your wrench to the red side and something metally, you are in for an AWESOME show.

So, using a twisting motion, pull the plug wire boot off. If you just yank it straight off, you could damage the internal connector – wire connection. You won’t be able to tell it by looking. But you’ll be able to hear it as the engine stumbles, and you search In vain for a month trying to figure it out.

DON’T force a plug loose. Use even pressure. Maybe a lot of pressure, but don’t jerk it. Also, when you turn the plug, turn the plug exactly perpendicular to the axis of the plug. What I am saying in Roane County words is don’t **** that wranch there, boy. You can mess up the threads in the head. You might could break the plug off. When you are putting the new plug in, you could break the top insulator off.

Put the socket on the plug, all the way to the base. Snap in an extension bar if you need it. Then snap in the socket wrench handle. Plugs unscrew to the left (CCW) if you are looking directly at the top of the plug. If you pull the wrench to the left, and all you hear is a ratcheting sound, and no resistance, the wrench is set wrong. Flip the little lever, or turn the knob on back. Things should get easier to unscrew the further the plug comes out. PAY attention to exactly how that extension is pointing out from the spark plug hole. When you are trying to put the new one in, put the extension in exactly the same angle, and it will help things.

Swap plugs. Something I do, is lay the old plugs out exactly like they were in the motor. When I look at them later, I can see whats’ going on in the engine. Oil-fouled plugs toward the back is a bad thing. Brown sooty plugs are normal now because of fuel additives.
This is what FoMoCo says about plugs in the official Service DVD:

sparkpluginspection-1.jpg

(I know, I know. This is a big picture. The first smaller one, you couldn't read it. You may still have to just save it then zoom it using preview or something. Sorry.)

Now look at my set. What do you think??

plugs.jpg

Rinse, lather, repeat five more times. Be CAREFUL when you first start the new plug in. It should NOT be excessively hard to turn. If it is, you are probably doing it wrong. A trick I know is to turn the plug in the wrong direction. You will feel a slight ‘tic’ when you have the plug perfectly flat against the plug hole. If you try to put that plug in there ****ed, it may not go in at all. Worse, it might thread a little bit. Then, you force it, and now you have something we call ‘dicked up threads’. This can sometimes be remedied with something called a thread chaser. Sometimes you have to put something called a helicoil in. Sometimes you have to get someone to replace that head. Really. Take your time. Try doing it sober. Get something more sturdy to stand on and quit using that empty drywall mud bucket. Send mouthy, naggy backseat drivers away on an errand. All of these things help, I swear. Anyway, once snugged down, twist the plug wire back on. Done.

How tight?
Heh, that’s always a good question. Pros use something called a torque wrench. It clicks when the correct amount of tension is applied. Honestly, I can’t tell you. Its’ something you learn over time. Too little, gases will blow by and eventually shoot the plug out (one on my dodge Dakota, sounded like a pistol shot. Dinked against the sheet metal.) Too much, see the paragraph above on stripped threads.

Factory says: 13 pound - feet (17 Newton – meters)
Factory also says to apply silicone dielectric grease to the inside of the boots when putting them back on. Maybe I’ll start doing that.

Now what?
You should be done. Go look around again and make sure you didn’t accidentally knock something loose, or left something in your patient. Go start the car. Should sound fine. If not, stop immediately. Go figure out what happened.

If it did sound fine, CONGRATULATIONS! You’re done. If you bought plug wires, now you can swap them one at a time. Don’t lay them over each other. Try not to let them lay on metal surfaces, or excessively hot places like manifolds.

Here, in case you screwed the order up….

plugorder.jpg

I am sure I forgot something to tell you, but honestly, this sounds pretty complete. See, its’ not so hard, now is it? If you can do this, change an air filter, and change the oil, you’ve done an entire tuneup yourself.
(Oh – the needlenose pliers. Sometimes, that socket will stick onto the plug, and you can’t get the wrench extension back on it. Use the needlenose to grab the socket and yank it back out. )

Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found that this version of the 4.0 is the easiest to change out of any.

How many miles did you have on them? Did you change wires too. I have almost 100k on mine and don't think it was ever changed (bought at like 54k). Worth it to do the wires too you think? Did you notice any difference in pickup or mileage or idle?

I changed mine when I got it at 104k. Nothing changed, I didn't change the wires and still at 24 mpg hwy.

I keep a log of when I change my stuff, I don't have it with me. I did notice a little smoother idle, and a slight increase in MPG, but I haven't done the wires yet. It was a fleet vehicle, and they changed them once. I am at 160k, and will probably knock the wires out in the next three months. Big thing I was waiting on was, I wanted a coil pack with a little more voltage, but I haven't had much luck finding one that wasn't 200 dollars. I've emailed accel and mallory, no response. I need to research 05ish mustangs more... I don't expect a major change, but I think little things add up over time, and this might come off ghey / redneck, I always liked the look of the yellow giant coils in the performance cars. (Maybe I'll just paint a new stock one - LOL). Like the plugs, the coil pack pushes out a lot of energy from some fine wires that are subjected to a lot of vibration and heat, and its' my opinion that OCCASIONALLY it might be not a bad idea to replace the item. And, metal is expensive, so maybe there might be some actual gains to be had from a better - than - stock made (thicker wire or different configuration) coil pack. I dunno.

Oh - I agree that everything is relative, and in relation to some stuff, plugs are easy. I know of one car the manufacturer says you need to pull the motor to get to them. But, as easy as these may be to you, I've talked to more than a few people that cracked the hood, stared into all that unrecognizable mess, and sadly forked over many dollars to one of the local chains. I hope that after reading this, and hearing some other people like you chime in, they'll feel good enough to go buy a few basic tools, and save some $$$$$.

lol

thanks alot for this. i just tried a bit yesterday, but like your advice says

i remembered that i was going out later and might not have it done

then the family would have to go out in the work car :bsnicker:

High Order

Thanks for the informative guide, well laced with humor! :thumbsup:

Getting ready to do the '04 4.0 plugs. I'll probably try the fenderwell approach to getting to them. They look simple compared to the ones on my '98 Expy 4.6! Multiple extensions and swivels needed for them. 8 hours first time, 30 mins now. Do NOT get Bosch plugs or you will be doing it again. Went through 2 sets and was chasing cylinder misfires after 5k miles on the Expy. Motorcraft or Autolite only. Same with Splitfires on the '91 5.0 HO T-Bird.

wow thank you for the detailed instructions. my 03 has 300,000 miles on it and i still havent done them yet....only because i didnt want to spend all that money on labor. but i think i can finally get around to doing it myself, thanks

wow thank you for the detailed instructions. my 03 has 300,000 miles on it and i still havent done them yet....only because i didnt want to spend all that money on labor. but i think i can finally get around to doing it myself, thanks

You may just have the highest mileage 3rd gen on the boards! 300k on an 03...wow :thumbsup:

haha yeah....whats your opinion should i stick to motorcraft? since i know they last this long, or should i get ngk platinums?

Very well written write-up!

SSM5114:
I have always been a fan of NGK plugs, and I will never run autolite crap in a ford engine again! Common misfire problems when using autolite plugs in the triton engines.....the 4.0 may be a different story, but it's NGK for me.

I bought NGK Iridium IXs for the Ex online. I ordered 6 and they botched the order and sent almost 50. I won't be needing plugs for a long time.

Yes, with shipping and everything I only paid about $56.00.

GuardianSport: you want to send some my way then? lol

ok thanks guys i just ordered some ngk platinums for $22...that a good deal?

Thanks for the detailed write up (funny, too. makes it that much better). Got a question for you though. I have an '01 Exp Sport. I have the driver side bank replaced, but am drawing a blank on the passenger side. From what I can see (and have tried) there simply is not enough room over there to get in, with the AC condenser and everything in the way. FoMoCo says they have a magic tool or something, no way am I paying them to use it. So, is there any special way you went about it? I have some bigger hands so maybe that is getting in my way as well :)
Thanks!

well, IIRC, that was the one I talked about having to do blind. You gotta get way up and then feel your way back there. the others you can get to, try taking the tire off and looking in past the fenderwell skirt. Or, get a solid stand and look from overhead. I can see at least one of mine when I am down there changing the oil filter, too.

food for thought

Shawn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot this weekend, if not change 'em back as I am only at 72k, and fight it later when I have the time :/

Back