Help identifying source of the problem regarding starting? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help identifying source of the problem regarding starting?

tribestros

Reaction score
City, State
League City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I've been struggling to fix this for a while now. The car, when cold, takes a while to start, as if it's trying to turn. I usually sit with the battery on for 30 seconds then start the car to minimize the problem, but ever since I had my alternator replaced, it literally struggles to start every time (second time it's perfect, however)it's sat for more than 30 minutes. I've also noticed the battery meter will go extremely low (11 volts) on startup, lights will dim noticeably, and then car will start. It will idle to about 1000, lower down to 600 then be fine, however it feels like it doesn't have enough power for about 3-5 minutes after starting. I have a feeling it's the starter relay which would be an easy fix.

Also, after replacing the alternator I got the infamous lifter click, but it only does it when I start the car warm...is that somehow related?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '94 did something similar last year. Very weak when starting cold, OK when warm.

Ended up being a bad starter.

The previous owner already replaced the starter, apparently.

Hi:

When the "...battery meter will go extremely low (11 volts)..." this implies a heavy (more than normal) draw on the battery. This could be a bad ground, connection, or short in the circuitry. One test I use is to bypass all wires, switches, etc and apply 12v to the starter side of the starter solenoid. Essentially this is the test that repair shops use. With 12v on the starter cable and if you have slow spin then starter cable or starter is at fault. Remember vehicle in neutral or park.

Trust that helps
PaMnd

I don't see where that test does anything. The fender mounted solenoid would have nothing to do with the speed of the starter. 12V starter power comes directly from the battery.

Hi:

It is a simple test (requiring only a jumper wire/cable) which bypasses everything including the solenoid. The OP implied a heavy draw on initial start. This heavy draw could be caused by several things including the starter. The OP implied that the previous owner replaced the starter and this test would confirm that the starter is not the problem.

PaMnd

Pull the starter off and wire brush the rim of the starter off that faces the transmission this will ground out the connection between the starter and the transmission. also clean the terminals good. make sure the cca of the battery is atleast 575 , but after you wire brush the rim of the starter and remount it. you will see a significant difference. and a faster engine turn even on the first start.

Also check you cables including the ground spot on the frame.. If you have heavy corrosion, you will get a horrid draw with a large parasitic load.. The cable on 1st gens are bad cause the connections are in the middle of the cable, with bare lines on either side.
If you have a multimeter test it across the batteries when you try and turn it over, you could have a bad cell in the battery.

Back