Time to get new tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time to get new tires

So Ive had my X for a couple years now and its time to finally get rid of these bald tires on there.

Its a '99 Sport with the 16" rims (255/70 16)

Im looking at picking up 4 of these Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eModel=Geolandar+A/T-S&partnum=57SR6GEOATSOWL

So first off Im wondering if anybody uses these and how they run?
Ive been reading reviews all morning and everyone seems to like them but some input from some fellow Ex owners would be awesome.

Secondly I was wondering if I should stick with the stock 255/70 16 size or if a SLIGHTLY bigger tire, something like a 265/70 16 would it fit and run ok on the stock rim. Im not sure if its even worth getting something other then the originals without a lift or different rims.

Thanks a ton for any input. Ill be ordering them some time this week.

as far as what i think about the tires, i can't honestly say because I have had no experience with Yokohama's..

As for the question about increasing the size.. I would suggest against it because you're going to lose performance if you do and possibly gas mileage. If either of those are not a big deal to you and you prefer looks then go for it! Mine has one size larger tires and i love the looks but i lost performance as expected. Mine is a 96 XLT and the largest you can comfortablely go with no lift is 31 inch tires but with that tire you're safe.

As a side note, i didn't even know that the explorer came stock with a 255/70R16..

Yeah Ive been trying to find a link some wheres that shows it. But apparently it was an option on certain models to get the bigger size.

Back