PCV valve, Sea-Foam and Tune-Up for 1999 Explorer 302 AWD V8 302 8 cylinder | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve, Sea-Foam and Tune-Up for 1999 Explorer 302 AWD V8 302 8 cylinder

Alright, I DID IT! [Oddly enough my heater came back on after driving] This absolutely cannot be done cold [not our "cold" anyways] The tube was just too solid for me to remove the valve..After driving and getting 2 cans of seafoam I got it removed. I cleaned the valve out with MAF cleaner.. and it worked.. had a few chunkies come out and I got the valve to rattle and move freely like it's supposed to... with enough pushing I got the valve atleast half way in, It's sitting now, I'm gonna let it sit for a half an hour and see if anything changes.. I'll probably do it again tomorrow. I put some in the BB, and PCV, gas, and oil. Bad news though.. when I was doing this.. I was getting smoking.... in my face.... meaning driver's side exhaust manifold leak... time for TMH... heh... someday.. I'll update once I go for a drive.. This all was made so much easier for me having my remote start in my hand.. lol..

Update: Didn't change a thing. Well... last night was pretty bad.. the hesitation, even heard what kinda sounded like.. light backfiring.. if there's such a thing? I still have a rough idle. I'm going to do it again tomorrow.. I might not have done it correctly this time around.. there was a time where the engine was ran after the seafoam was put in the PCV because I put more into the BB... so I might have just burned it up in the process of throwin it in the BB cuz I was getting awfully fustrated with the PCV. I'm gonna use just the PCV tomorrow, with half a can and I'll let it sit for an hour or two. I did get light smoking though.. I KNOW my engine is dirtier than that.. I got more smoke in my face than I saw when I was driving or letting it idle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is supposed to be a rubber grommet holding the pcv valve tightly in place. I think you may have lost it. The resulting vacuum leak would explain the rough idle, and heater not working. With a large vacuum leak air will only come out of the defrost vent.

Or, you may be trying to install the pcv valve with the grommet in place--which is why it will not pop in and seal the hole in the intake manifold.

try installing the grommet into the hole, then slide the pcv valve in.

Or the grommet may even be split, and not sealing the hole at all. Maybe you need a new one?

It's not even rubber.................... It's a plastic peice that sits in the hole... Sorta like a plastic "cup" with no bottom ..

When the heater doesn't work... the front blower motor isn't spinning up at all and no heat is coming from the rear. It can explain the heat I guess, but what about the blower motor? This has only happened twice, and with some driving.. a lot of driving the 2nd time.. it came back on randomly.. I THINK I might have heard a click near the heater control/radio area but that could have easily been the plastics making noises from being cold and getting hot quicker than usual.

As for this valve... yea, they have a plastic peice in that hole on my truck... and the valve won't slide in all the way. Here's a question for ya... on the V8's.. I've heard this on Mustangs (4.6), f150's (5.0L), and even 5.0L explorers.When you shut off the engine... is there supposed to be a noise of pressure being released? .... I for some reason don't have this noise anymore.. I always thought it was normal. I can't even remove this plastic peice as there seems to be a metal line back there in the way of me removing it completely. I'm going to do another seafoam correctly this time and see if it solves my issues, I just don't know what to do about this valve fitment. I noticed, and my g/f noticed that the vibration/stutter was decreased a little bit when I'm at a stop after my crappy seafoam attempt the first time.

Just updating from my previous posts a couple of months ago...i tried it again yesterday, but this time while the engine was still warm, and it made a ton of smoke, so i guess it worked this time. For anyone else trying this for the first time, i guess you should do it while the engine is warm still. Just be careful not to burn your forearm though when reaching behind the engine.

To add to my previous post, i just did plugs and wires FINALLY after probably 75,000 miles, and WHOA what a difference. Truck feels like it's running much smoother and like it accelerates a bit faster. Of my old plugs, the best condition one was at a gap of .067 and the worst at .080. I gapped the new ones all to the recommended .054.

And what a PAIN IN THE A$$ to get wire #4 (rear passenger)!! What was ford thinking when they routed it over the top of the valve cover and under the throttle body? After i rerouted that wire along where the other 3 on that side run, i had to cut the original wire and pull it out with all my strength. Also, some of those plastic clips are REALLY hard to get to! Now i know why tune ups cost so much. I spent probably 5 hours doing this, it was my first time. Next time i'm sure i could do it in about an hour, knowing now how those clips work and not having to struggle with wire #4.

Between the plugs, wires, and seafoam that i've done this week, this thread is a must for every 5.0 owner.

I read this thread. Great to describe the seafoam process. I have a 1997 5.0 with 130,000 miles. Mine has been sitting for 6 years and now I'm trying to get it running again.

One dumb question: what does dumping a half can of seafoam into the PCV value tube accomplish? I am a fan of seafoam in my motorcycles, since it cleans carbs and fuel systems. I put a few ounces in a tank of gas about every 6 months. Runs like cr.p for that tank, but much better the next tank.

But what does putting a half can into the 5.0 engine and burning it off do? Is there likely lots of carbon and varnish in the engine fuel system? Is it something with the valves? Sorry--I'm trying to learn what I can expect to see. Is there something I can take off the engine to see if the engine is cruddy?

Thanks.

Actually, there is not... Try this out.. find a thread that tells the best location for OHV V6 SeaFoam insertion. (Not SOHC)

I haven't owned a OHV V6 for about 15 years, so I'll take your word for it. All the more reason to start your own (and I see you did). Well done.

Hehe. I didn't know what would be better; posting a new thread or just trying to get quick info out of a thread somewhat on the subject. :exporange

Hehe. I didn't know what would be better; posting a new thread or just trying to get quick info out of a thread somewhat on the subject. :exporange

I tested your assessment that there were no threads on Seafoam and the V6 OHV. I found LOTS. OK, not as substantial as this V8 thread, but plenty of threads out there.

Getting info from a thread that's "somewhat on topic" (and the only theme in common is the Seafoam itself) is hijacking and not good form on any messageboard. Suit yourself. :rolleyes:

I just want to make i got this straight. The PCV is on the lower rear of the intake manifold? Or is it even lower than that? When I put my hand behind the intake i can feel a hose or two coming out but im not sure if thats it which i dont. I do have the 2000 eb 5.0v8 and i dont know if that makes a difference

I just want to make i got this straight. The PCV is on the lower rear of the intake manifold? Or is it even lower than that? When I put my hand behind the intake i can feel a hose or two coming out but im not sure if thats it which i dont. I do have the 2000 eb 5.0v8 and i dont know if that makes a difference

Read the thread from beginning to end and all your questions will be answered. This thread covers the '00 (which is almost identical to my '99). Given that you've only known about this thread for about 10 minutes (since I showed you where it is), I sense you haven't done your homework yet.

You're on the right track.

Read the thread from beginning to end and all your questions will be answered. This thread covers the '00 (which is almost identical to my '99). Given that you've only known about this thread for about 10 minutes (since I showed you where it is), I sense you haven't done your homework yet.

You're on the right track.

Lol yeah I have to sit down and do a little reading when I get home. I'm still at work and decided to see if I can find out where the pcv valve is. Thanks a lot for your help

yes the pcv valve itself is connected to one hose but there is a T connection on it (on the 5.0 model) with your hand on one of the hoses follow it down on the left side of the engine bay towrds the intake manifold (dont try looking for it with your eyes you wont see it) and when you cant follow the hose down anymore grab it at the base and pull straight up. a little twist helps shimmy it out it may be jammed in there if it hasnt been removed before...good luck

two quick questions
1. When I did my seafoam treatment my motor just didnt want to stall out when I was pouring in the seafoam. It was certainly struggling and puttering, but just didnt die. So I just ran around the car and shut off the key. The motor ran for maybe another 2 seconds before I killed it, would this nullify the process? It made some nice thick white smoke but nothing too crazy like the pictures so I'm a bit concerned.
2. When applying the seafoam to your oil before an oil change how long should I leave it in there is it 2 miles or 200?

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

two quick questions
1. When I did my seafoam treatment my motor just didnt want to stall out when I was pouring in the seafoam. It was certainly struggling and puttering, but just didnt die. So I just ran around the car and shut off the key. The motor ran for maybe another 2 seconds before I killed it, would this nullify the process? It made some nice thick white smoke but nothing too crazy like the pictures so I'm a bit concerned.
2. When applying the seafoam to your oil before an oil change how long should I leave it in there is it 2 miles or 200?

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

I can't answer (2) because I've never done Seafoam in the oil. As far as your first point goes, be happy it didn't die. You can hydrolock your engine if if stalls. I try NOT to stall my truck when doing Seafoam. Sputtering etc is normal. Sounds to me like you're OK with the treatment.

couldn't you just get spray can of seafoam and spray it in through TB?

Seafoam "Deep Creep" is just regular Seafoam in a spray can. I've tried that very thing and it does little. They actually list TB cleaning as one use right on the can (with engine not running), but spraying it into a running engine via the TB seems to get very little coverage.

Someone else may chime in as to why that is, but I don't find it very effective.

I've never seen Seafoam in a spray can. And with a spray can you will not get the concentration that you would with it in a liquid form.

I've never seen Seafoam in a spray can. And with a spray can you will not get the concentration that you would with it in a liquid form.

Seafoam in a spray can. (new packaging, I still have a few cans of the old stuff).

sf-deepcreep-large.jpg

They have another NEW product (not sure how it differs from Deep Creep).

Seafoam Spray

sf-spray-large-usa.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As Celly pointed out in post #197, Seafoam "Deep Creep" is just regular Seafoam in a spray can.

Back