Gas Milage... How to get the best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Milage... How to get the best?

trent5.0

Reaction score
City, State
birmingham al
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB 4x4
right now i have a 4.0 v6 4x4 that i am getting 16mpg and thats me going easy on it 65mph on the hwy and easy slow starts in the city... is this normal?
any tips on what i can change or do to get better milage? i planded on puting in an electric fan so that way the engine isnt turning the fan causeing more work and so forth.. what about bigger rims? they have 16 maybe 17 or 18 with a lighter tire

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive has a good thread on getting 30 highway mpg in his explorer, it was basically alot of little things here and there, and it all added up

Read some of the threads on ecomodder.com about vehicle modifications and driving style.
Posted via Mobile Device

aldive has a good thread on getting 30 highway mpg in his explorer, it was basically alot of little things here and there, and it all added up

how do i find his artical? new to here sorry thanks

I've been following this link from the UK and thinking how can a 15mpg truck do 30 mpg even with the mods detailed in the original post.

Then it dawned on me, UK gallons are smaller (0.832 to the US gallon) which makes the UK equivilent of 24 miles to the UK gallon compaired to 30 for a US gallon.

I'm still going to go for it especially the oil change mods, but what is an air dam?

Does anybody have any practical advice on which of the mods gives the greatest benefits (I have not waxed a car in 20 years:D)

cheers

Jim

I've been following this link from the UK and thinking how can a 15mpg truck do 30 mpg even with the mods detailed in the original post.

Then it dawned on me, UK gallons are smaller (0.832 to the US gallon) which makes the UK equivilent of 24 miles to the UK gallon compaired to 30 for a US gallon.

I'm still going to go for it especially the oil change mods, but what is an air dam?

Does anybody have any practical advice on which of the mods gives the greatest benefits (I have not waxed a car in 20 years:D)

cheers

Jim

you have your sizes backward, the UK gallon is larger than the US gallon. The UK gallon is 160 ounces and the US gallon is 128 ounces.

bugger, you are correct, this means that my current 18mpg needs to do 36 mpg,

with the thinest oil, the lightest throttle and the strongest following wind I can't see this happening.

partial kamback on an Explorer - no one has done it yet ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

i still think if you want mileage, buy a prius... If you want to drive an SUV around and look cool, rock the Ex and don't worry about the pump...

Some of those numbers are unreal. Our gallons here in Canada are bigger so we get "better" mileage as far as MPG goes. I've never checked the Explorer...

I get 30 out of my 2.3, 2wd, 5 spd ranger... and 40+ out of my '08 Mazda 3 GT

Nothing wrong with wanting more mpg out of the explorer. I am sure there are people who drive prius that still want more mpg out of them for what ever reason. You just have to keep it reasonable. 16mpg is bad. Maybe a little low if you do highway but not bad for city. Remember that if you go bigger rims and smaller that you make up some lost tire weight with added rim weight. Plus there are better ways to gain extra mpg then increasing rim size. The electric fan is a solid idea though.

I did run a Prius for a year (75k Miles) and then changed to a BMW 750i, then a Jaguar XJRS 6.0litre, then the Explorer. So I guess I've blown my green street cred since the Prius. :p:

I do a lot of Motorway driving, have taken the roof bars off and keep the tyres up and the best I can do is 18 mpg (UK gallon).

Luckily I run LPG so cost for cost it is equivalent of 34 MPG on Petrol.

Still I want more so will change the oil this weekend for Mobile 1 but looking at the ecomodder site I don't think I could live with a Kamback.

cheers

Jim

I think probably the biggest single thing you can do is switching to all synthetic fluids.

I did run a Prius for a year (75k Miles) and then changed to a BMW 750i, then a Jaguar XJRS 6.0litre, then the Explorer. So I guess I've blown my green street cred since the Prius. :p:

I do a lot of Motorway driving, have taken the roof bars off and keep the tyres up and the best I can do is 18 mpg (UK gallon).

Luckily I run LPG so cost for cost it is equivalent of 34 MPG on Petrol.

Still I want more so will change the oil this weekend for Mobile 1 but looking at the ecomodder site I don't think I could live with a Kamback.

cheers

Jim

Ummmm...you have/had a 750i and Jaguar XJRS 6.0 and are worried about your gas mileage in the Explorer? :wtf:

I have to agree with some of the others...If you are driving around an SUV like this (especially with the V8) you can't be too concerned about the pump.

Phil

I have a 1996 xlt with the 4.0L and i also get terrible gas mileage. I get a whole 11 miles per gallon. YES, 11!! and thats on a good day with the wind blowing behind me.

To jcasey007:

Since you have a dual system, you now have the added weight of the components associated with the secondary system (in this case LPG). Since UK conversions require you to have bi-fuel capability, then that extra weight alone would add a significant load on the vehicle. I do not know if you are required in the UK to run an equivalent sized LPG tank (If you have a 21 gallon petrol tank, are you required to have a 21 or more gallon LPG tank?)

The original petrol tank acts as one large reserve when you are on LPG. If you are running almost exclusively on LPG, then maybe avoid carrying more than 2-3 gallons of petrol (unless you're going for a really long trip). That extra 15 or so gallons also adds up to vehicle weight.

LPG is cheaper gallon for gallon in comparison to petrol but LPG has slightly less energy (15%) than a similar amount of Petrol. As result, you will get slightly less (15 - 20%) miles per Gallon or Litre. (I do not know what current LPG prices are per litre in the UK)

An electric fan, synth fluids, and a more street-friendly tire (as opposed to big chunky treads or rugged all terrains) may assist in giving you a bit more mileage. Also the lesser weight you carry, the better you mileage will be. But like everybody said, don't expect too much with a V8 SUV.

cheers

Jim

The two best things ( after swapping all fluids to synthetic ) are:

(1) underdrive pulleys
(2) custom PCM tunes

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,203
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,220

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 96 XL, with the 4.0 auto, and 33 inch tires and a 4:10 gear ratio in both diffs, and on the highway i regularly get 20 mpg US or sometimes even better ,
Synthetic fluids in all is the key, and using your head instead of a gas pedal.
I keep my speed right at about 100 km, or 62.5 mph checked by my GPS, and scanguage 2 , engine rpm 2000 , in overdrive,
On a couple of trips long distance to Missouri and Kansas i got great gas mileage at least 20 mpg,

Back