4.0 to 5.0 conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 to 5.0 conversion

I am considering swapping a 302 (out of an 88 mustang) into my 94 Explorer (4wd). The current 4.0 has 90k miles on it, and when i recently tried towing my mustang with it, realized the 4.0 just isn't going to cut it. I was just wondering if anyone can help me out here as far as how much work it is really going to be, and what kind of costs I can expect to have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a stock 4.0 can tow a stang.... with the right gears...... also.... an 88-94 swap isnt smog legal........

Normally I would agree with you, as I have driven a 4.0 ranger before, and it felt good, but the engine in my explorer is extremely sluggish. Also the reson I thought of the idea is I have a 302, and a spare t5.

lots of custom fabrication will be needed and so will finding a way to mate the t-5 and the bw t-case.....

I dunno about a lot of custom work... There are several companies making swap parts for this very purpose, and you can probably find an adapter for mount up the BW to the T5. Or you could just step up to a Dana 20 or something. :smoke:

Jim, jim jim... Make sure yer up on yer knowledge before ya tell something. It all depends where ya are for legality of the swap. One state it may be legal, one state, it may not. Also, to put a T-5 in, it's possible to get an adapter frome advance adapters to mate it to the stock t-case, and you should retain the same overall length of tranny/t-case... Which means, ya don't have to change drive shafts. Make sure that T-5 is a World Class model, if not, it won't work. Search the topic, cause there's alot of info on the site about it. Mine should be completed with in the next 2 months. Mine is basically finished, just waiting for shop time to finish up minor details.
Pete

pete...ok fine big butthead :p j/k.... it is definately illegal in california :)

hey ssr.join the northern illinois explorer club at www.noiec.com

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not opposed to using an automatic, in fact i'd rather do that if its not too expensive, that way I can have a spare t5 for my mustang (it is a world class, btw)

If you want an automatic, you have a couple of options. C4, C6, AOD, AOD-E. Since this is for towing, I'm guessing that you'll want pretty good highway mileage, so the AOD or AOD-E are your best choices, and between those, I'd take the AOD. I don't really know about the price difference between converting it either way; I simply decided flat out that I would go auto when swap time rolled around for me. :smoke:

Speaking of swapping... I am considering it in a year or so, but I want to get all my facts straight. I am sure that there are wire harnesses out there for everything, but what about compatibilty between all my sensors and gauges with the 302? Does a 302 X use the same (for example) ABS sensors? Will the computer be able to understand this?

"it is definately illegal in california" "It all depends where ya are for legality of the swap. One state it may be legal,one state, it may not" "also.... an 88-94 swap isnt smog legal........"

A V8 CONVERSION CAN BE DONE EVEN IN STRICT CALIFORNIA AS LONG AS YOU USE THE SAME YEAR ENGINE OR ABOVE, RETAIN ALL EMISSION EQUIPMENT, AND HAVE YOUR CAR INSPECTED AT A REFEREE STATION.

It does vary state to state though. Generally using the same year engine or above is the best way to go.

Good Luck

Back