Windows fail to roll down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows fail to roll down

bishoptol

Reaction score
Hello,

In a 2003 ford explorer xlt, none of the windows will roll down. Expect moon

I first thought it was the circuit breaker until I just got back from a dealership that confirmed it works ( which I know it does know through the clock working)

I would think it is just the switch but NONE of the windows are rolling down at all no matter which switch I use. It may be that I had the child lock on when it failed though I normally don't have it on.

Any help would be great!

Usually if all the windows aren't working. I would try the master switch which is usually the one that has controls for them all, such as on my 97 it is on the drivers door. I would look to see if there is a loose connection to that switch.

Windows not going down

I had this problem and some other electric malfunctions. Dome light wouldn't go out for a long long time, dead battery once. turning on rear defrost would engage door ajar, electric lock didn't work on drivers door. It turned out the ground wires were snapped in the drivers door. They are the black wires that run through the rubber boot between the door and chassis. You take the plastic inside off the door, unplug the switches, take out the door speaker and the wires are all exposed. Trim off the electric tape and push the rubber boot inside the chassis. A lot of the wires in there were cracked but there were two black ones that were snapped. I soldered on a 6-8" extension and all worked fine again. There's a lot of posts and a real good writeup with pics on here. Search for ground wires on here.

I had this problem and some other electric malfunctions. Dome light wouldn't go out for a long long time, dead battery once. turning on rear defrost would engage door ajar, electric lock didn't work on drivers door. It turned out the ground wires were snapped in the drivers door. They are the black wires that run through the rubber boot between the door and chassis. You take the plastic inside off the door, unplug the switches, take out the door speaker and the wires are all exposed. Trim off the electric tape and push the rubber boot inside the chassis. A lot of the wires in there were cracked but there were two black ones that were snapped. I soldered on a 6-8" extension and all worked fine again. There's a lot of posts and a real good writeup with pics on here. Search for ground wires on here.

Here is a great thread with pics for checking for broken wires in boot between door and the body: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Post #3 in this thread has great instructions for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271333

Good luck.

Back