OZ cruise control incident and tyre size for '96 Explorer query | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OZ cruise control incident and tyre size for '96 Explorer query

lancer

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane, State of Queensland, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 UN XLT Wagon
Ford Australia have just recalled all year and model Explorers to check out/modify the cruise control system due to an Explorer going beserk on a main highway in Victoria, a State of Australia, where the driver virtually had no control with the vehicle reaching reported speeds of 150+KPH.

He just could not stop the thing including attempting to turn off the ignition.

A Victorian Police Officer chased the Explorer, got his vehicle in front and virtually bulldogged it to a stop.

Ford Australia requested the vehicle for inspection and testing as this was a bad case of something gone wrong. Fortuantely, no one was hurt.

From what has emerged, albeit unconfirmed, the driver had done some modifications fitting a hands free telephone, connecting the power source somewhere along the line that powers the cruise control.

In this instance he had feed back through the Explorer computer when he dialed a 1300 or 1800 toll free number and this set off the speed control in the onboard computer taking it to an uncontrollable 150+kph.

If this was the case, it was an exceptional incident and one that all Explorer owners should take heed of if they simulate his accesssory installation.

Anyway, congratulations to Ford Australia for taking the responsible initiative of recalling all Explorers in Australia, irrespective, for the test and upgrade.

Denmac Ford, my local dealer did mine along with some other minor maintenace work in less than 6 hours. Now that's service OZ style.

Anyway, that is just one side of my query.

Whilst I had it at my Ford dealer I asked them to do a diagnostic check as mine was guzzling juice around town getting down to as low as 10-15MPG.

On the highway, cruising 100-110KPH up to 20-22MPG was achieveable.

Their summation was that the tyres I had on, 31x10.5R15LT's were the wrong size making the Explorer pull harder in lower speeds and enhancing it at higher speeds. Seems feasable to me. But I doubt I will be changing them soon as they still have about 10-15,000KM's left on them.

If that is the case what size should I be running?, as I do all my running on bitumen paved surfaces, very rarey on dirt. My long distant running of round trips of about 1,000KM's, is only about 3 or 4 times a year to a western Queensland regional town to visit our son and his family, so most of my usage is urban.

They even went so far as to suggest that the speedo would probably read more miles on the odometer and there would be a discrepancy in the actual speed I was travelling up to 10KPH faster, which would get me into serious trouble with the law if I got hooked in a radar trap being over the limit especially in 'work in progress zones' or 'school safety zones' where the limit in most if not all States of OZ is 40KPH.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any comments.

Thanks.

LesB!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same tyres on my explorer and was told to expect a 10% difference in speed but using a gps my speedo is spot on. Maybe get a gps

Many thanks for that advice. A mate of mine in OZ gave me the same suggestion.

I have a GPS on my VW trike, I may take it off and try it on an upcoming long country trip at Easter.

On the highway in outback OZ the good officers of law enforcement are hot to trot on speeding, especially in those areas which have a lead up 110KPH maximum highway speed limit approaching small towns and communities when it decreases significantly to less the 50KPH in some instances. The GPS would allow me a more accurate indication if the speedo really is as you say, a possible 10% discrepancy.

Cheers

your report is simply impossible unless it was a 02+ 4 door... then maybe

the older 91-01 explorers had a standard killswitch type ignition and cable shifter simply turn off the engine or shift to neutral

my bet is the recal had more to do with the burning brakefluid issue and was reported wrong to make ford the next toyota

If you ever loose the brake fuse, the engine just revs up when you put your foot on the brake. The computer should monitor that there is power after brake fuse. Supposedly that leaky switch on the master should shut off the cruise. It didn't for me.

I had a battery clamp on my 97 that cracked and it would disconnect from the battery causing a voltage spike. That would reset the computer causing the IAC to open fully and the engine to rev up to 2K. That is pretty shocking when you are at a stop with your foot lightly on the brake. The car jumps about 5 feet before you gain control. As a programmer of micro systems I know there is a lot of bad software out there that doesn't take in numerous fault possibilities.

Electrohacker is correct. The recall was to do with overheating brake fluid.

In my comments about the cruise control matter I made no reference that could be construed in any manner as being my personal expert or non expert opinion.

What I offered was an extract from a media report which was unsubstantiated as to what was an extraordinary incident on a freeway in OZ where a Ford Explorer went beserk, out of control with the driver unable to stop it.

I have not seen a feasible or official explanation even months after the incident apart from that which I related previously.

Seeing it on TV news bulletins and imagining what could have happened, without the quick and timely intervention and action of a member of the Victorian Police, was disturbing and could have resulted in loss of life. That I think no one would like to see.

Unfortunatly, some people who contribute to forums and seem to offer opinions on everything and are experts at nothing, making more of it than there really is, just to have a say. My comments were of a general info nature, not an expert opinion. I have never made that claim.

My concern was that I have an Explorer and I would not like it to get as out of control as the one I saw or those Toyotas in the US which are falling over as each day goes by.

I had not heard about the overheating brake fluid bit, but for Ford Australia to recall all Explorers and carry out a free upgrade is commendable and responsible on their part. That I do not contest, but if Explorer owners do not accept the free upgrade and a problem happens to them they have no one else to blame.

Anyway, whatever opinions are posted I accept and respect each one, as I would expect mine to be respected as well.

Thanks.

Les Bryant
Brisbane, Australia.

I dont know how commendable it is seeing as they knew about the problem for over a decade and then didnt even fix it right. the red switch needs to be changed for a black one... simple

Electrohacker is correct. The recall was to do with overheating brake fluid.

In my comments about the cruise control matter I made no reference that could be construed in any manner as being my personal expert or non expert opinion.

What I offered was an extract from a media report which was unsubstantiated as to what was an extraordinary incident on a freeway in OZ where a Ford Explorer went beserk, out of control with the driver unable to stop it.

I have not seen a feasible or official explanation even months after the incident apart from that which I related previously.

Seeing it on TV news bulletins and imagining what could have happened, without the quick and timely intervention and action of a member of the Victorian Police, was disturbing and could have resulted in loss of life. That I think no one would like to see.

Unfortunatly, some people who contribute to forums and seem to offer opinions on everything and are experts at nothing, making more of it than there really is, just to have a say. My comments were of a general info nature, not an expert opinion. I have never made that claim.

My concern was that I have an Explorer and I would not like it to get as out of control as the one I saw or those Toyotas in the US which are falling over as each day goes by.

I had not heard about the overheating brake fluid bit, but for Ford Australia to recall all Explorers and carry out a free upgrade is commendable and responsible on their part. That I do not contest, but if Explorer owners do not accept the free upgrade and a problem happens to them they have no one else to blame.

Anyway, whatever opinions are posted I accept and respect each one, as I would expect mine to be respected as well.

Thanks.

Les Bryant
Brisbane, Australia.

I read on another forum he had a bluetooth wired into the cruse control which was found by ford.

Thanks fex98.

I guess if the blue tooth matter is correct, it does give some credence to the unsubstantiated media report I saw.

Les Bryant
Brisbane, Australia

that still shouldnt interrupt the ignition

Back