• Register Today It's free!

Noise in the tranny

Yamaha101

Reaction score
City, State
Edinboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I was just going over my 02 explorer and with the rear tires off the ground in park, moving the rear tires back and forth there is a noise coming from the tranny. I have no shifting or slipping issues and was wondering if it is a normal sound. Thought is was a ujoint at first but its coming from inside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are the symptoms when you are driving? It could be lots of different things

Under hard acceration it sometime feels like the 4wd is kicking in and out.

You're sure the sound is coming from your transmission and not your diff? When you say you're moving them back and forth...I assume you mean you're spinning them? With both wheels off the ground, if you spin one...the other one should turn the opposite way.

Unless you have installed a locker in your rear differential...the driveshaft wont spin when you turn only 1 wheel, so I have doubts that you're hearing anything in your transmission.

Do you mean your differential?

he may be right about the differetial, however if you are hearing a sort of rattling coming from the transmission it may be the torque converter in the transmission is falling apart. if you ever have someone get into that you need to make sure there is no fileings in the tranny oil when they drop the pan because than you got tranny issues. i just had all this happen to me a while back.

Correct spinning the wheels back and forth. The drivshaft will turn then there will be a clunk...sounds like when you have a bad u joint. Like I said earlier, no tranny problems yet just wondering if its normal to hear that when spin the wheels.

Back