• Register Today It's free!

Help on Pioneer Head Unit

nbing99

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I just recently installed a Pioneer AVH P4000DVD into my 04 ford explorer XLT and I have two problems with it and was wondering if someone could help me out.

My first problem is that my stock sub, or one of my back speakers is popping real loud every time that i turn my car on or every time that I switch into my cd mode. I have checked all of my connections and they seem to be together pretty good.. any ideas on how to fix the problem???

My second problem that i have is that my ipod makes a loud clicking noise and will only play out of half my speakers in my car. My clicker on my ipod is NOT on. Im pretty sure its just a bad cable but before buying a new cable i just wanted to see if it could be anything else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the Ipod connected through an Aux wire or is it hooked up through a Ipod specific connector?

I know when I started using my original Auxillary connector, I had to FORCE the wire into the head phone jack of the Ipod in order to get a good connection, if I didn't it would have the same symptoms. This was on my Pioneer Premier unit. Replacing the cable helped solve the issue, and it also made it much easier to plug it in and out (the orignal wire had a jack that was not built properly and was causing the issue).

The ipod cable is a specialized cable for the pioneer head unit.

I just put the Pioneer AVIC-X910BT in my '04 over the weekend, and for the popping sound you have is the amp on the subwoofer receiving too high of a voltage signal for the turn-on input. The stock headunit outputs a 5VDC signal to the amp, and your Pioneer outputs a 12VDC signal. What you'll need is something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599 I used that exact one to regulate the signal voltage down to 5VDC and I have zero pop.

Which iPod cable do you have? The IU50V (USB & straight 3.5mm jack), IU200V (USB & angled 3.5mm jack), or IU230V (USB & yellow/red/white RCA plugs)?

Tom

Thanks for the help on the popping, im ordering that part immeadiatly. I have the CD-I200 ipod cable.

AVIC-X910BT in '00 Explorer

Tom,

How did the physical install go? Do yo uhave any pics? According to Crutchfield, this won't fit in my 2000 Explorer.

Thanks,

Hugh

I just put the Pioneer AVIC-X910BT in my '04 over the weekend, and for the popping sound you have is the amp on the subwoofer receiving too high of a voltage signal for the turn-on input. The stock headunit outputs a 5VDC signal to the amp, and your Pioneer outputs a 12VDC signal. What you'll need is something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599 I used that exact one to regulate the signal voltage down to 5VDC and I have zero pop.

Which iPod cable do you have? The IU50V (USB & straight 3.5mm jack), IU200V (USB & angled 3.5mm jack), or IU230V (USB & yellow/red/white RCA plugs)?

Tom

Tom,

How did the physical install go? Do yo uhave any pics? According to Crutchfield, this won't fit in my 2000 Explorer.

Thanks,

Hugh
Technically Crutchfield is correct, as stock it won't fit your 2000 Explorer. The 2002+ 4-door Explorers have double-din stereos from the factory, so for me it was a non-issue. The second gen Explorers (1995 thru 2001 4-doors, and 1995 thru 2004 2-doors) don't have a full double-din stereo, but you can install a double-din stereo with a little trimming of the stereo/HVAC trim bezel (it is just shy of double-din). Search the "Audio & Navigation" sub-forum for "double din" and you'll see countless examples of people who have already done it. I personally have never done it, as I kept a single-din in my old '95 Explorer, so they would be better able to tell you exactly how to do it than I.

Tom

Thanks for the help on the popping, im ordering that part immeadiatly. I have the CD-I200 ipod cable.
From what I have read, it appears the CD-I200 cables are known to have a problem getting a good connection with iPods/iPhones, which causes problems like bad audio, charging issues, and the iPod/iPhone dropping out of the "Sources" menu. Some recommendations are to try connecting the iPod before you turn on the vehicle, though a poor connection will probably not be solved by this, in which case the next recommendation is to replace the cable. Good luck.

Tom

Thanks for the help, ill prob will just end up replacing the cable, any suggestions on what cable i should get instead?

Thanks for the help, ill prob will just end up replacing the cable, any suggestions on what cable i should get instead?
It appears that the cable you have is the appropriate one for your head unit, so you will probably just have to replace the cable with another of the same model. Fortunately, the cable appears to be cheap since Pioneer moved away from the iBus cables, so that is somewhat nice.

Tom

hey tom, where and how did you put that regulator in?

Place the regulator on the amp turn-on signal wire (blue with white stripe) coming from the headunit heading to the subwoofer amp. On the package there should have been a diagram showing the input and output terminals (if memory serves, when looking at it so the text is facing you, the left pin is the input, the center is the ground, and the right is the output), in which case you will need to cut the turn-on wire and solder in the regulator accordingly (headunit side goes to the input, the amp side comes from the output). It may not be a bad idea to also ground the ground terminal on the regulator. I also put some shrink-wrap and electrical tape around the terminals to protect them from exposure, which I highly recommend you do as well.

I hope my explanation was somewhat helpful, but if not search for "voltage regulator" and you should find some better explanations of how to wire it in, along, no doubt, with photos.

Best of luck.

Tom

Back