4.0 l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 l

pac

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of mods have been done to your 4.0. I totally feel that the 4.0 is a great strong engine. Just wondering if there might be even more in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are tons of different add on's you can do with the 4.0. You can start with small changes like a cold air intake. There are many differnt options for our application. I like JLT, K&N, and there are others. Google CAI for Sport Trac and let the reading begin.You can do as much as your money allows. Have fun!

There isn't much in the way of normal speed parts available. CAI, cat-back exhaust, and a tuner are common mods with decent bang for the buck.
JBA makes headers but they cost a lot and don't add much hp simply because the stock manifolds are pretty good already. A Random Technology Y-pipe will add more power than headers for less money.
Explorer Express makes a supercharger kit but it costs about $4000.

Cold air intakes aren't going to do much if anything, aside from make noise. The factory intake works well and pulls cold air.
Best bang for the buck in my opinion is a tuner, running a high octane tune. It will not only make more power, but improve shifting as well.
On my Sport Trac I had an xcal 2 tuner programmed by Henson Performance, 4.88 gears and 33" tires and I really never felt that it needed more power. Gearing and tuning made all the difference for me.

so far i put high flow k&n air filter and removed the silencer and put single in and dual out 40 series flows on my 01 sport.

so far i put high flow k&n air filter and removed the silencer and put single in and dual out 40 series flows on my 01 sport.

When you went with the single in dual out did you gain anything out of it besides sound? I have been considering doing this mod, but not if I lose MPG or not gain any performance.

Back