I need help with my 1993 Ford Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help with my 1993 Ford Explorer.

elisha36

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Hello. I have an 1993 ford explorer, and my 4x4 is messed up. Is there any way I can disable the 4x4. my truck starts, but when i place it in gear it jerks, and stalls. I check the fuel system, and that is fine. I have had trouble with the 4x4 system before, and it stopped working all together. Where is the 4 wheel drive box located, and can it be taken out?
Thanks,
Elisha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would be easier to #1 ensure t/c is in 2wd, #2 Pull fuse(s) for 4wd. You only need to disable the switching system unless your transfer case keeps changing to 4wd.\
R U Sure your current issue is related to 4wd?

Automatic or Manual transmission?
Why do you think this stalling in gear is related to the 4WD?
The buttons in the center of the dash should disable the 4WD.

The lights on the dashboard for the 4 wheel drive never worked, and the 4 wheel drive never worked either. I cannot find the fuses to the 4 wheel drive. I called Ford and they told me to take out the front wheel driveshaft; since my truck is real wheel drive, and that should solve the problem, but getting the driveshaft off is hard. The bolts are so ructy, and striped. I broked for T-40's tool peices trying to get it off. The only other thing it could be is the fuel pump/fuel filter, but I check that, and everything there is flowing good, and I measured the pressure and its at 31, so that is great. I wish, I could find the fuses for the 4 wheel drive.

Its starts up prefectly fine, but when it gets ready to drive off , it jerks, likes something is blocking the wheels from turning, and the jerking is coming from the front of the car. Its automatic transmission. I just found the fuses under the hood, I am going to try to take out fuse #2.
Thanks all
Elisha

Back